Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/08/2012, 11:52 AM   #1
fishyj
Registered Member

problems with my over flow?

Hi all, I took a 10 gallon tank and made my sump from that. I also took an old aquaclear 70 and drilled the bottom and installed 1/2 drain going to my sump. i am trying to figure the proper size return and pump to use. Since the aquaclear is rated at 300 gph, should have a return with 1/2 also rated for 300 gph? If I was to put a valve on my line going down to my sump could I also restrict water flow to match my current pump. Any ideas?

fishyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 12:06 PM   #2
klwheat
Registered Member

if you're relying on the pump in the aquaclear (HOB filter right?) rather than a siphon, there's NO WAY to match pump for pump. Just asking for trouble! (If it's not what I'm thinking of...sorry

President/Co-founder
Running4Trisomy
A Butterfly's Touch
klwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 12:18 PM   #3
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwheat View Post
if you're relying on the pump in the aquaclear (HOB filter right?) rather than a siphon, there's NO WAY to match pump for pump. Just asking for trouble! (If it's not what I'm thinking of...sorry
Ya, my thoughts too.

Also, (to the OP) what size tank do you have? Drilling a HOB filter to use as an overflow is a smart idea but just won't work. And not only that, but its a tremendous risk for your tank, and even more so, your home.

The proper way to set up an overflow is via a siphon. (A common method is Durso or BeanAnimal). You don't rate your pump's power in proportion to your overflow, you rate your overflow according to your pump's power.

This way your not relying on two pumps to do their job correctly 100 percent of the time, your just relying on the overflow. Which brings me to my second point, which is 1/2" is VERY restrictive. You won't get a 1/2" overflow drain to suck very much water, and as a hobby standard we oversize our drains so that there will never be an issue with the pump outperforming the drains.

Last edited by TheFishTeen; 05/08/2012 at 12:25 PM.
TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 12:22 PM   #4
sandwi54
Registered Member

What other people said. Overflow needs to work by syphon and gravity, not a pump. There is no way to match the overflow pump with the return pump.

Current Tank Info: 375g FOWLR, 40g Reef
sandwi54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 12:59 PM   #5
fishyj
Registered Member

Ok, so scrapping the idea of using the aquaclear 70 pump as my siphon. I will plan on increasing the drain to 1 inch and if I can't diy a skimmer, will just have to bite the bullet and buy one. This is for a 55 gallon tank. Thanks for the help.

fishyj is offline   Reply With Quote