Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2017, 01:05 PM   #126
zachxlutz
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the blenny and the job... Best of luck with your job search!

Sounds like the monti might be craving some nutrients. I read a little further up that you are running the tank at 0 nitrates. Might be time to start employing some nitrate dosing to bring up the level to around 5 ppm. I've seen my coral go from dull, bland and bleached to bright, fluorescent and colored up fantastically with the addition of KNO3 in the form of Spectracide Stump Remover.

The algae outbreak might be related to the Nitrate deficiency as well, lots of people have success with reducing nuisance algae when the start dosing nitrates as it brings the tank more in line with the redfield ratio. I'd wager your phosphates are reading higher than your nitrates.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2590557

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Display + 55 Gallon Sump/Fuge
zachxlutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 09:01 AM   #127
BigDave
Registered Member

I figured the algae outbreak would be from the decomposing body that I can't find

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 10:53 AM   #128
LX20000
Registered Member

Amazing build. You really are extremely and multi talented. Damn these companies and their layoffs. My company has done a 15% layoff over last 1.5 years.

I hope your job search is a quick one. Again, you seem to have so many different talents.

LX20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2017, 08:16 AM   #129
BigDave
Registered Member

Good news. The unemployment didn't last long. I'll be starting my new job next Friday.

Unread 03/04/2017, 11:08 AM   #130
zachxlutz
Registered Member

Good news.

Unread 03/04/2017, 11:19 AM   #131
saf1
Registered Member

To OP - nice tank and 3D printer work. Also glad you found a job so quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX20000 View Post
Amazing build. You really are extremely and multi talented. Damn these companies and their layoffs. My company has done a 15% layoff over last 1.5 years.
It is all about making a dollar. If you can't build a product or release software people want then the only recourse is to move to cheaper labor (off shore), lay off higher wage earners, and consolidate or remove legacy stuff. Later only lasts for so long and the rest falls on the middle by taking out the higher earning employees or move their position over seas or LAR. You want a perfect example of this or write masters dissertation look at HP.

Back to OP. Good job again, a good read.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2017, 09:29 PM   #132
BigDave
Registered Member

Found out that the blennie didn't die. I found him hiding in the sump. I was able to catch him and put him back in the tank.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Unread 03/06/2017, 07:16 AM   #133
callsign4223
Registered Member

That's awesome news. About your job and the blennie.

callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 01:45 PM   #134
BigDave
Registered Member

It's amazing how much a new job can eat into your forum life.

On a side note. there's been no change to the tank either, so I guess it doesn't really matter that I haven't been able to login

Unread 03/19/2017, 07:26 PM   #135
BigDave
Registered Member

Finally took a picture of the Bird's Nest. Here's a quick comparison from the last month to show it's growth.

Unread 03/31/2017, 07:49 AM   #136
BigDave
Registered Member

Finally ended up pulling the Montipora Cap.

I also finally got around to gluing the birdsnest into place. I bumped up the turnover on the closed loop and it kept blowing over.

Unread 04/03/2017, 01:11 PM   #137
BigDave
Registered Member

And now on a completely unrelated note.

I've started using my 3d printer to print a CNC machine....

Unread 04/03/2017, 02:00 PM   #138
zachxlutz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
And now on a completely unrelated note.

I've started using my 3d printer to print a CNC machine....

... I like it!

Unread 04/03/2017, 03:12 PM   #139
callsign4223
Registered Member

Isn't that like tool ception?

callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2017, 07:46 AM   #140
BigDave
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callsign4223 View Post
Isn't that like tool ception?
Only when I start using the CNC to cut new parts for the 3d printer.

You have to make the complete circle before you get to that point

I did some maths... the entire CNC machine is estimated to take 93 hours to print. I have most of the parts ordered except the control board and the spindle. Right now I have about 23 hours of printed done.

Here's a quick pic of some of the hardware.

And the rails after being cut and the ends cleaned. I still need to pull the stickers off and rub the pipes down with goo gone and alcohol to clean up any residue.

Unread 04/06/2017, 07:05 AM   #141
BigDave
Registered Member

I'm now 64 hours in to printing the parts for the CNC machine with another 30 hours left to go. I've had only two hiccups in all the printing.

One was some of the parts came out a tad small. I think the tolerances are a bit tight. I bumped up the prints by 1% and they printed better the second time.

The second hiccup was I had a nut come loose on the build platform. The plate went un-level. I caught it at about 4 hours in to the 6 hour print. I replaced the nuts with some NyLock ones and took the opportunity to add some thumb wheels to the nuts so I don't have to use a wrench to adjust the level anymore.

I actually have an inductance meter to use for auto-level, just haven't bothered to design a mount for it yet. I don't like most of the mounts on thingiverse... or I should say, I really like the fan blower I have and none of the mounts will work with that.

I'll try to get some more pictures of more of the parts this evening. I've decided to shrink the initial build platform. My CNC will have a 24"x24" cut size.

Unread 04/06/2017, 02:38 PM   #142
zachxlutz
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm now 64 hours in to printing the parts for the CNC machine with another 30 hours left to go. I've had only two hiccups in all the printing.

One was some of the parts came out a tad small. I think the tolerances are a bit tight. I bumped up the prints by 1% and they printed better the second time.

The second hiccup was I had a nut come loose on the build platform. The plate went un-level. I caught it at about 4 hours in to the 6 hour print. I replaced the nuts with some NyLock ones and took the opportunity to add some thumb wheels to the nuts so I don't have to use a wrench to adjust the level anymore.

I actually have an inductance meter to use for auto-level, just haven't bothered to design a mount for it yet. I don't like most of the mounts on thingiverse... or I should say, I really like the fan blower I have and none of the mounts will work with that.

I'll try to get some more pictures of more of the parts this evening. I've decided to shrink the initial build platform. My CNC will have a 24"x24" cut size.
I just picked up some 3D printed things (testing vial drying rack and dosing tube holder) from Printed Reefing Solutions and now I want my own 3D printer. Such an awesome device.

Unread 04/06/2017, 02:58 PM   #143
BigDave
Registered Member

They truly are. When you can design something and start a print and be ready to test when you get home from work... it's pretty amazing.

Unread 04/07/2017, 08:53 AM   #144
BigDave
Registered Member

Last night while cleaning the glass, which I have to do every other night because some dumb@ss decided to put the tank next to a window... I noticed that coralline is starting to show up on a bunch of my rock. It's a nice pretty dark purple.

This makes me happy. The rock needs some more color.

I also cleaned out the skimmer cup and thinned the macro algae. My wife got a good sniff of the cup when I walked by her and I heard her gag a little. I guess next time I should warn her.

Unread 04/07/2017, 11:08 AM   #145
zachxlutz
Registered Member

Quote:
Last night while cleaning the glass, which I have to do every other night because some dumb@ss decided to put the tank next to a window... I noticed that coralline is starting to show up on a bunch of my rock. It's a nice pretty dark purple.

This makes me happy. The rock needs some more color.

I also cleaned out the skimmer cup and thinned the macro algae. My wife got a good sniff of the cup when I walked by her and I heard her gag a little. I guess next time I should warn her.
Think that's bad? When I wash the filter socks the whole house smells like a gross tidepool!

Unread 04/08/2017, 05:53 PM   #146
BigDave
Registered Member

Another incremental update... I swear I'll do something more interesting soon.

I got the chiller installed. I'm not sure if it will ever actually run. We keep our house at 82, which is when the chiller is supposed to kick on. Watching the temps on the tank, I haven't actually seen it hit the chiller-on temp this year yet.

I plugged it into an always-on outlet and verified that it still works. I have it sitting outside the stand tucked away in the corner where no one will see it.

Unread 04/11/2017, 07:31 AM   #147
BigDave
Registered Member

Ok. I've been concerned lately that my Blastomussa hasn't been opening up as much as it first did. I thought it was due to water or light so I moved it... I was right, only I made the wrong assumption. It looks like it wants less water and less light.

I guess I'll be moving it again tonight.

Unread 04/17/2017, 02:19 PM   #148
BigDave
Registered Member

The Blastomussa is doing a little better back where it started. Still not opening up fully, so I'll wait a little bit and try moving it again.

I did another water change this weekend and again was amazed at how easy it is with my new setup. Hardest part was carrying the two buckets to go empty them.

Unread 04/17/2017, 04:44 PM   #149
Darthv247
Registered Member

nice. Blastos are one of my favorites.

Darthv247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 02:35 PM   #150
BigDave
Registered Member

It's been a busy day.

I got the CNC machine working this morning and this afternoon we added some pajama cardinals, a cleaner wrasse, and a rock with purple mushrooms on it to the tank.

No pictures of the fish yet. The wrasse swims too fast so I'll have to grab the DSLR

https://youtu.be/62dHoQV_iK0

https://youtu.be/gtO9cNwwYbI

On the automated aquarium front... I've started playing with grafana and elasticsearch. I'm trying to get my stats uploaded to the elasticsearch so I can make some cool monitoring dashboards using grafana.

The Automated Aquarium 2.0 has taken a backseat to some of the other hobbies. While I'm not 100% satisfied with the current setup, it does at least work. Not sure when I'll get back to working on the other design. Probably when it starts to get cold again next year.