Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2018, 07:23 PM   #1
blackthunda77
Registered Member

Spots on magnifica?

My magnifica bleached a while back. I'm now noticing almost like freckles or spots randomly on some of the tentacles. Any ideas?

It's not as colorless as in the photo but i adjusted the color to bring out the location of the spots. The camera was having a hard time picking them up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

*blackthunda stands for a black Mistubishi 3000GT with black rims I used to own. Don't get any funny ideas!

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal custom tank with dual corner overflows, 80 gal custom sump/refugium, Neptune Apex controller, Dual Lumenmax Elite reflectors with 250 Radiums, SWC 160 Cone Skimmer, 2x Jebao WP-25....and some other stuff.
blackthunda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 08:07 PM   #2
Jamie1210
Registered Member

Looks like its slowly coloring up. Are you feeding it?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 08:22 PM   #3
blackthunda77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1210 View Post
Looks like its slowly coloring up. Are you feeding it?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Just fed it a shrimp which it looks like it's swallowing up. However I probably don't feed it as much as a should. Maybe once or twice a month.

*blackthunda stands for a black Mistubishi 3000GT with black rims I used to own. Don't get any funny ideas!

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal custom tank with dual corner overflows, 80 gal custom sump/refugium, Neptune Apex controller, Dual Lumenmax Elite reflectors with 250 Radiums, SWC 160 Cone Skimmer, 2x Jebao WP-25....and some other stuff.
Unread 01/13/2018, 10:46 PM   #4
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

From the picture, it looks like it might be bleached, I would continue to feed it more so that it recovers.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 12:17 AM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

The spots on the tentacles are the return of the zooxanthellae. That is a bleached Magnifica that is recovering. The brown spots will spread and give that anemone back it's healthy coloration.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 04:38 AM   #6
blackthunda77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
The spots on the tentacles are the return of the zooxanthellae. That is a bleached Magnifica that is recovering. The brown spots will spread and give that anemone back it's healthy coloration.
Thanks. Yes, I know it's bleached. Had some issues with higher nitrates for an extended period of time. But like I said, it's not as bleached as it looks. I had to adjust the color on the photo to make the spots easier to see.

How often should I be feeding it? Just took down a pretty large bait shrimp last night.

Unread 01/14/2018, 08:12 AM   #7
OrionN
Moved on

The spots are where the anemone have zooxznthellae. The rest of the area are bleached. Prior to the spots, the anemone is completely bleached.
If you want him to grow, then feed him. If you OK or want to keep him the same size then dot feed him.
You can feed him as much as every other day. Daily feeding of about 1/4 cubic inch chunk every other day is OK (.5X.5X.5 piece of seafood.)

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 01/14/2018, 08:40 PM   #8
blackthunda77
Registered Member

Quote:
The spots are where the anemone have zooxznthellae. The rest of the area are bleached. Prior to the spots, the anemone is completely bleached.
If you want him to grow, then feed him. If you OK or want to keep him the same size then dot feed him.
You can feed him as much as every other day. Daily feeding of about 1/4 cubic inch chunk every other day is OK (.5X.5X.5 piece of seafood.)
I don't necessarily want it to grow any larger. I like the size it's at right now. However I would like it to color back up more quickly.

Unread 01/14/2018, 10:42 PM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

You can feed hime pencil eraser size food every few days. Regardless if you feed him or not his color will recover in 1-2 weeks

Unread 01/14/2018, 11:10 PM   #10
Kinetic
Registered Member

I echo what Minh is saying. Feeding will not help with zoanthellae. That will come back with good light and stable parameters.

Feeding will probably help the mag grow. I think you can probably feed once a week while the zoax comes back, just to give the anemone a bit of food in the meantime. If it's not totally bleached out, feeding probably isn't needed as long as it is building back it's photosynthetic source of food.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 09:52 AM   #11
blackthunda77
Registered Member

I guess I'll keep you guys posted. Not much more color yes as far as I can tell.

Unread 05/22/2018, 08:02 PM   #12
blackthunda77
Registered Member

Update.

Unread 05/22/2018, 08:06 PM   #13
davocean
Registered Member

Nice comeback!

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 03:41 PM   #14
blackthunda77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Nice comeback!
Thanks

Unread 05/23/2018, 05:37 PM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

Looking heathy. Good job

Unread 05/23/2018, 06:22 PM   #16
blackthunda77
Registered Member

🖒
Quote:
Looking heathy. Good job