Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2019, 03:07 PM   #1
elefink
Regurgitated Fender

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

My new Biocube is chugging along and past the cycle, and now I'm planning fish. Obviously, the number of fish I can keep in a 32 gallon system is limited, so I need to plan carefully.

One fish I'm considering is the mentioned McCosker's Flasher Wrasse. (I have in mind to also have a pair of Banggai Cardinals and some sort of a goby, possibly a Manderin if I can get a good crop of copepods going in the refugium.)

Years ago, I had a Six Line Wrasse in a 29 gallon tank. I did not like the resultant killing off of all the life in the sand and live rock that went with it. That sucker at all the bristle worms, copepods, little fan worms, and everything else on the rock to the detriment of the tank. Does this McCosker's wrasse eat all the little critters as well?

Current Tank Info: Returning to hobby after a 10 year hiatus with a Biocube 32.
elefink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 10:18 PM   #2
Half Vaped
Registered Member

Flasher Wrasses eat mostly from the water column and don't go after inverts in the rocks and sand as much as a Six-Line. Flashers are fairly active, so a 32G might be about the bare minimum to keep one long term. A better fit might be the Pink-Streak Wrasse or a Possum Wrasse for your tank, if you don't mind their shyness.

Half Vaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2019, 12:31 PM   #3
elefink
Regurgitated Fender

I'll look into those, thanks.

Unread 02/15/2019, 06:51 AM   #4
A sea K
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Vaped View Post
Flasher Wrasses eat mostly from the water column and don't go after inverts in the rocks and sand as much as a Six-Line. Flashers are fairly active, so a 32G might be about the bare minimum to keep one long term. A better fit might be the Pink-Streak Wrasse or a Possum Wrasse for your tank, if you don't mind their shyness.
While the Possum wont be as detrimental as the six-line to your tank fauna they are still hunters and will have an impact especially on the copepod population which means not a good idea if you are entertaining the thought of a manderin (a manderin is not a good idea in a 32 gal anyway but thats another topic entirely) As for shyness, once acclimated (several months) and with peaceful tank mates the Possum should become much more outgoing. Once mine had fully settled in he was in full view almost constantly.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 09:28 AM   #5
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i would avoid flashers and mandarins in that small of a tank.

i would avoid sixlines in any sized tank.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 06:01 AM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

I would recommend a pair of yasha shrimp goby and a shrimp instead of mandarin. A a flasher wrasse would be great. Maybe OK in a 32 gal tank. I keep one in a 40 breeder and it seem OK for him, but this week s not a cube.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2019, 04:13 PM   #7
elefink
Regurgitated Fender

thanks