Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2013, 08:36 PM   #151
Reef dog 29
Moved On

Use a fish trap

Reef dog 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2013, 07:38 AM   #152
Freddie83
Registered Member

I've found the best way to be at night while they sleep.

Freddie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2013, 03:46 PM   #153
Aquatic Flow
Registered Member

Try doing it at night

Aquatic Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2013, 10:22 AM   #154
s2nhle
Registered Member

My black and white clown always attack my hand so it is very easy to catch her.

s2nhle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2013, 11:31 PM   #155
Klnsheree
Registered Member

I had to take out my Clarkii clown after it went on a killing spree. I go in thinking he's been so good and is used to hands being in the tank that he'll be ok. Boy was I wrong! Runner, hider, you name it. So, I wound up rearranging my entire tank. Took 10 minutes to finally catch him

Klnsheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2013, 10:34 AM   #156
PeteV_LV
Registered Member

I like clownfish - gr8t information. New to all this so any help would greatly appreciated.
I have a 40 gal tank with live rock and sand, canister filter, power head, heater.
Questions: What other fish can I have in the tank with clownfish? How many?

PeteV_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2013, 09:13 AM   #157
tonyda1st
Registered Member

I've always had bad luck catching fish. I had to take out all of my rock and catch them that way.
I tried the clear soda bottle and clear plastic container with no luck

tonyda1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2013, 08:00 PM   #158
Wilrok
Registered Member

Thanks for info , won't use nets anymore !

Wilrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2013, 05:39 PM   #159
RastaFan
Registered Member

i had 2 successful catches on this - big mouth plastic bowl, while holding it soaked at the top of the tank (leave it for around 2 mins before putting flakes), scatter flakes on top of the mouth of the bowl, then the clowns will go after the flakes (now he's inside the bowl mouth at least) - then scoop the bowl up!

RastaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2013, 07:43 PM   #160
jeffltodd
Registered Member

I've had to catch my clowns a few times. Turn the lights of and scoop 'me up in the net... no muss, no fuss.

Current Tank Info: All-Glass 72g bow-front, Rio 2500 return; SeaClone 100 in sump; Jebao WP25 wave maker; Reef Breeders Photon48
jeffltodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2013, 09:03 AM   #161
125mph
Registered Member

I have a very good technique that gets clowns out in about 30 mins! Has worked multiple times.

Basically, you use a large egg crate divider and split your tank into a third and make sure the clowns are in the smaller divided section. Next you move some of your rocks from the smaller third to the larger (or to a container if you don't have space in your tank)... Now make that divided section smaller and continue to trap the clowns. Next I use another egg crate and box them into a corner. Next grab your net!

Synergy Reef CL44 Sump | Neptune Apex
125mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2013, 02:33 PM   #162
J_hart88
Registered Member

My clownfish is the best runner in the world. I have been trying to get him out for a month now. Nothing works traps, nets, he uses a massive anemone and the rocks to hide and run.

J_hart88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2014, 01:35 PM   #163
gam3ovr
Registered Member

Just realized that this post is 10 years old. That said, I wish I knew this a long time ago!

Good stuff and thanks to the OP for the tip.

gam3ovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2014, 06:48 AM   #164
29ebay29
Registered Member.

You can make a trap from a 2 liter bottle.

29ebay29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2014, 05:15 PM   #165
saltwatrmadness
Registered Member

We have a pair that is starting breeding rituals and will probably force the third odd ball out so good info to have.

saltwatrmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2014, 03:05 PM   #166
Danny316
Registered Member

The method I like to use is I place my head in the tank open my mouth and wait my clownfish eventually swims in 60% of the time it works every time.

Danny316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2014, 04:23 PM   #167
jean9910
Registered Member

When I needed to move them I placed a clear two liter bottle at the bottom (I would hold it) and would hold a few flakes of fish food between my index and thumb. The fish would eat out of my fingers as they always do with flakes and I slowly raised the container. It was not stressful on my Clown fish pair and it was easy for me.

jean9910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2014, 04:58 PM   #168
johnpasternak
Registered Member

Fish trap with miso work the best and doesn't stress the fish

johnpasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2014, 07:53 AM   #169
crabbyreef
Registered Member

I've caught all sorts of fish using (borrowing) a clear plexiglass trap from my LFS. The door has a string on it so all I do is put some mysis inside the box which lies on the floor of the tank. Once the fish swims in the string is let go and the door shuts. There are different sizes of these boxes and I have caught everything from wrasses to tangs. Each time there was very little visible stress on the fish. Just my $0.02.

crabbyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2014, 01:31 PM   #170
webslinger
Friendly Neighborhood

Go fishing. http://www.tenkarabum.com/micro-fishing-hooks.html

webslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2014, 02:21 AM   #171
Spsonlypls
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis1 View Post
Well all of you are lucky I guess ??? I have a monster 4" Tomatoe Clown, that can draw blood !!! He, of course is a runner. If I stick my hand in, he comes for me,,, add a net or speciman container and he's out of there !!! I thought that I would try to either put a net over him and the rose, while he's asleep, or maybe try to slip a large fish bag over them ???? I was concerned about scaring it to death !!! He's a real pain, has become hyper dominant, it's a wonder that he hasn't torn my Rosebud apart, he's really rough on it, he messes with my Yellow Tang, and kicks up the substrate ALL THE TIME. Maybe that's why my corals are all doing so good ????? I have even thought of trying to catch him with a small barbless flyhook !!!! Anyway, mine's not peaceful and has become quite the rogue !!!! This fish takes food(krill) right from the mouthes of other fish for himself and the anemone !!!! Anyway, I want him gone !!!
sounds like u have a hell of a rogue on your hands … the hook has worked for me on my sand sifting goby… what i would suggest is to scare the other fishes away and then use the hook … hooks have done me well and don't worry about the damage… guessing from your avatar i think u know very well when to set the hook.. i used berkley invisi braid… for me i simply tighten the line when he starts tugging.. after that the clownfish should be swished in a dip of breadcrumbs and beaten egg(this is said to reduce stress),, after that simply lay on a pan already pre garnished with olive oil and butter.(the heat reduces stress)… after that you know what to do to the little monster(this part is said to reduce stress and calm the reefer)

Spsonlypls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2014, 07:49 AM   #172
Spsonlypls
Registered Member

oh damn… this post is too damn old… i feel more mentally unfit than i usually do …lol

Spsonlypls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 08:55 AM   #173
Dangleflow9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteV_LV View Post
I like clownfish - gr8t information. New to all this so any help would greatly appreciated.
I have a 40 gal tank with live rock and sand, canister filter, power head, heater.
Questions: What other fish can I have in the tank with clownfish? How many?
It really depends. I would recommend looking at what you like, what its tank size requirements are, and what else you want to have. Also, it depends what kind of clownfish you want. Some, like Maroons are aggressive, but perculas are not. Once you find the one you want, look and see what its tank history is by doing some research. Then look at a compatibility chart and see what houses best. Compare that to your tank size and your ability to meet that animal's needs.

Dangleflow9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2014, 04:08 PM   #174
bulabr
Registered Member

Yesterday I caught two Clownfishes using the tactics of the night. I turned on the aisle light away from the aquarium, so I could barely see them. With a large net I managed to catch them and put them in a box of acrylic. You have to have a big patience in the process. No rush, no Damages.

bulabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 01:17 PM   #175
38bill
Registered Member

Totally dark and using a red light works every time. The last 3 times I have actually caught the fish with my bare hand,

38bill is offline   Reply With Quote