Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2011, 10:14 AM   #26
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebkramer View Post
Does the diamond make burrows all over or just one burrow??
The current one I have makes a single burrow. The previous one I had made 2 but only use 1.

Unread 05/26/2011, 10:15 AM   #27
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemeshianos View Post
And how deep should the sand bed be? I plan on a shallow sand bed and would like to know what would the minimum height be be for a diamond goby.
My sand bed is .5". The goby, however, moves some sands near it's burrow to make it deeper.

Unread 05/26/2011, 10:34 AM   #28
djkms
Fish Freak

+1 on Diamond goby. Best investment I have made for my substrate. Snails will not keep up with the maintenance of a sandbed. I agree with dzhuo, the cloudy water is a good thing, that means the goby is doing its job and doing it well. My goby still clouds my water on occasion but only when it cleans spots that rarely get disturbed.

My goby has his area which he tends to the most and has "dart holes" under 3 or so rocks but he has cleaned my whole substrate in a 125. Hardest worker in my tank by far and probably the best member of my CUC.

Current Tank Info: 225 Upgrade Setup 11/17/2012 72x27x27 - Custom 40g sump/Diablo DCS-250int skimmer/Blueline HD40x/2 MP40's/Tunze ATO/2 Part/BRS RODI/ Neptune apex, WXM/3 Radium 250w Galaxy Ballast/8 39w T5's/Litermeter III/Aquavitro Salinity/20%WC/Carbon/GFO/Vinegar
djkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2011, 10:38 AM   #29
goldmullet
Registered Member

Hey does it need to be housed with a refugium attached to the tank?

see from liveaquria here "need to have live sand as the substrate, and an attached populated refugium"

Are they easy to keep alive?

goldmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2011, 10:47 AM   #30
djkms
Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmullet View Post
Hey does it need to be housed with a refugium attached to the tank?

see from liveaquria here "need to have live sand as the substrate, and an attached populated refugium"

If that information is based upon available food then I am not sure. My Diamond goby eats pellets and rods food when I broadcast feed. He doesn't actively swim in the water column to get food but he will place himself below the herd and "jump" up to grab food when its in the water and near him.

Current Tank Info: 225 Upgrade Setup 11/17/2012 72x27x27 - Custom 40g sump/Diablo DCS-250int skimmer/Blueline HD40x/2 MP40's/Tunze ATO/2 Part/BRS RODI/ Neptune apex, WXM/3 Radium 250w Galaxy Ballast/8 39w T5's/Litermeter III/Aquavitro Salinity/20%WC/Carbon/GFO/Vinegar
djkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2011, 10:49 AM   #31
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't think this particular goby needs live sand or a fuge. It would help but not strictly necessary. However, if you have live rock or a cup of live sand to seed your tank, your sand will eventually become live in a few months. Having said that, your tank would not be large enough to support a diamond on pods & micro-fungas alone even if you start with live sand with a fuge. My tank has a 4'x3' sandbed and I don't believe this is enough. This is the reason why I stressed that you must be willing to provide enough food for the goby to eat. Failing to do that, it will most likely starve to dead within a few months. I would consider this particular sand sifting goby somewhere between easy and moderate.

Unread 05/26/2011, 10:50 AM   #32
RcToners
Registered Member

Well here is another +1 for the Diamond Goby!

My diamond goby eats anything and everything, he is a PIG. He does a great job cleaning and sifting the sand bed all day.

As far as burrows, he makes a few but usually just stays in one. My sand bed varies from 1/2" to 1 & 1/2" , he will pile up sand where needed to make a burrow.

Perc Clowns, Mystery Wrasse, Kole Tang, Purple Tang, Diamond Watchman, Cleaner Shrimp, Tiger Pistol Shrimp, Wheelers Shrimp Goby, Bullet Goby, Purple Carpet, Red/Green Open Brains, Candy Canes, Hammer Coral, Green Orange Blue Pink & Yellow Ricordea, Orange Tube Coral, Several Multicolor Zoos, Button Polyps, & Several Multicolor Shrooms
RcToners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2011, 08:23 PM   #33
goldmullet
Registered Member

So I bought the Diamond watchman goby and he's been in the tank for 2 days. I have seen him once but how ling before he starts sifting the sand? He Hides under the live rock all day. Does it take a while for him to get comfortable?

Unread 05/28/2011, 08:26 PM   #34
thebkramer
Registered Member

its because of this thread that I went and bought a Diamond Goby too!!!
Here is my Goby Thread with the same question:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2025158

mine is also still hiding.. he peaked out from his rock today.. ate.. then buried himself under again within seconds lol

Enjoy yours!! I know I already am mine!!

There is NO such things as Dumb Questions!! There are However.. Dumb Answers!!! ;)

Current Tank Info: 55g reef....Current Orbit SunPaq Lights, HOB Eshopps, HOB AquaClear 110, 2-1400 Koralia Powerheads & 1 Nano Koralia, 40+ lbs LR, 2" LS
thebkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2011, 08:38 PM   #35
CLisPRO
Registered Member

I agree with watchman/pistol just got it today and they are already stirring it up pretty nicely.

CLisPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2011, 08:43 PM   #36
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
So I bought the Diamond watchman goby and he's been in the tank for 2 days. I have seen him once but how ling before he starts sifting the sand? He Hides under the live rock all day. Does it take a while for him to get comfortable?
Yes it will take him a while to get comfortable. It's not uncommon for this particular goby to hide or do "nothing" in the first couple of weeks. Once it settles, however, it will make up for the lack of fast start with vigorous sifting behavior.

Unread 05/28/2011, 09:47 PM   #37
ian09
Registered Member

I had a diamond goby as well. Great for sifting the sand, one is more than enough in your tank IME, make sure your rock is anchored in well as mine constantly dug under my rock and created little hills where he spat out the sand. The bottom of my rocks were always partially buried so be careful with your low leveled coral and a tank cover is a definite must as mine jumped out as well.

ian09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2011, 12:49 AM   #38
goldmullet
Registered Member

Ok sounds good. So I'll let the little
Guy settle first before he cleans the sand. Also will any pistol shrimp pair up with him? Or will it only happen sometimes?

Unread 05/29/2011, 07:22 AM   #39
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
Also will any pistol shrimp pair up with him? Or will it only happen sometimes?
It will not make association with the pistol shrimp.

Unread 05/29/2011, 09:45 AM   #40
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Mine paired up with a blue coral-banded shrimp (max size 1 1/2"). It was neat to see the Diamond, a 2" red-headed goby, and the tiny shrimp all share the same burrow. The shrimp cleaned the Diamond in return for protection.

You can see the blur of the shrimp on the right here, he had been cleaning the goby's mouth & I didn't get to the camera in time.

SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2011, 10:27 AM   #41
goldmullet
Registered Member

All the post above say the diamond Goby and the pistol shrimp team up and make a great pair. True?

Unread 05/29/2011, 11:24 AM   #42
muffe
Registered Member

I have a sleeper banded goby and fine sand substrate. If I don't want him to sift the sand I put nori on a clip and he attacks it as primary until he's stuffed. If I don't put food on the clip he goes back to his sifting routine. I'll confess he does litter the base of my rocks with sand but its about 3" to 4" of the bottom. If I want something sand free I just place it 5" or above the substrate.

I love him, for being the largest fish in my tank he is the most shy. He's a true gentle giant.

Last edited by muffe; 05/29/2011 at 11:36 AM.
muffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2011, 11:46 AM   #43
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

If you want corals that might like to live in the sand bed think twice about a sand sifting gobie. I have a dragon gobie and I would give anything to catch him I hate that fish. When he was small it was a big deal but now that he is about 4-1/2 to 5 inches long he makes MOUNTAINS! all over the tank. No coral is safe in the sand bed without getting covered up. I didn't think for enough ahead.

If you do not test for it, DON'T dose it.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Sport507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2011, 02:27 PM   #44
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
All the post above say the diamond Goby and the pistol shrimp team up and make a great pair. True?
No. I don't think it will. This particular goby is not known to associate with pistol shrimp. When you think of a pair like this, the pistol is the main maintainer of the burrow while the goby serves as standing guard. Both wouldn't venture out far from the burrow and more or less relies on food drifting to them. The sand sifting goby, on the other hand, spend majority of its time outside of the burrow and looking for food. It would not be a good candidate for the shrimp as a guard. If you are looking for a shrimp / goby pair, I would look elsewhere. However, strange relationship does develop in a closed system (think of a clown fish hosting unusual corals that almost never happen in nature) so it's possible the goby would tolerate the pistol shrimp. Or when the pistol shrimp has no other alternative, it might pair up with the goby as a last resort.

Unread 05/29/2011, 02:36 PM   #45
SushiGirl
Premium Member

I have to agree on the pairing with a pistol. I'd look into a shrimp goby for that. The watchman or sleepers wouldn't really get any benefit of a pairing with a pistol. In my current tank, the 6-spot sleeper dug all the burrows (except the one the pistol dug for itself), and the shrimp goby just takes advantage of what the sleeper dug. I think the shrimp goby has figured out there's a pistol now, cuz he's starting to hang out over there, but I don't think the pistol has figured it out yet. The sleeper isn't the least bit interested in any of the shrimp, including the cleaner.

Unread 05/29/2011, 03:03 PM   #46
dzhuo
Registered Member

For those who are looking for a goby that would associate with a pistol, the Amblyeleotris randalli (aka Randall or Orange Stripe Prawn Goby) is a good choice. The goby will not, however, sift sand. There are lots of other gobies that known to pair with a pistol.

Unread 05/29/2011, 03:19 PM   #47
SushiGirl
Premium Member

This is the shrimp goby I have, orange-spotted shrimp goby. It's supposed to sift sand, but it's been very rare with mine, and then just a mouthful a couple of times in 6 months. As you can see, the mouth is built different from the watchman and sleepers who are active sifters.

The 6-spot sleeper

Unread 05/29/2011, 03:40 PM   #48
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

I don't know how current this info is, or if we know something now that wasn't known when the list was made. I've never had one as I have a dsb, so personally I'm clueless about them. Just want to insert a word of caution. This fish is listed on RC's list of

Fish Best Left For Experienced Or Knowledgeable Hobbyists:

Diamond, Golden Head, Sleeper Gobies
(Valenciennea spp.): Sometimes starve to death even when accepting prepared foods, tanks with large sandbeds containing lots of food will help as will frequent feedings when they will eat, mated pairs may help as well

So long, & thanks for all the fish!

Current Tank Info: Pairs: flame angels, cherub angels, Red Sea mimic blennies, yellow fin fairy wrasses, clowns, mandarins, blackcap basslets, shrimp gobies, damsels, dispar anthias, yellow clown gobies, threadfin cardinals --- Tanks: 100g reef, 2 x 30g refugiums
Angel*Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2011, 03:48 PM   #49
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Yeah, I've been seeing that since I got back into the hobby this time around. Not sure how/why that got started from when I was in the hobby before and haven't seen anything definitive on it other than "recommendations" from web sites and individuals. So far haven't seen any factual backup for it. Would love to see it if someone has it. I do notice that it says "sometimes" though.

Unread 05/29/2011, 04:20 PM   #50
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel*Fish View Post
Fish Best Left For Experienced Or Knowledgeable Hobbyists:[/B][/SIZE]

Diamond, Golden Head, Sleeper Gobies[/I] (Valenciennea spp.): Sometimes starve to death even when accepting prepared foods, tanks with large sandbeds containing lots of food will help as will frequent feedings when they will eat, mated pairs may help as well
I don't believe the after-mentioned gobies are hard to maintain long term even in a medium size tank. Unlike other sand sifters, this particular one is quiet hardy provided that you are willing to feed it daily. A few years back, there were generalized statements about certain sand sifters which do not accept any prepared food and their long term survival is low. This slowly turns into all sand sifters are impossible to keep. There were also lots of misconceptions about DSB (also a few years back) which would provide enough micro-fungas for the sand sifters to feed on to a point you don't need to feed him. For those who are following these recommendations, we certainly know they weren't true so lots of people end up not having a good experience with these fish. Now that it becomes more apparent that it's highly unlikely a sand bed in a closed system would provide anything nearly enough food these fish need so we know we need to feed.

Tags
goby