Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/25/2018, 10:23 AM   #1
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

How far off the sides to place lights

So I am almost done building my custom canopy with built in fans to house my new viparspecta x 2 165 w light hanging from top of canopy in my 90 gal.
My ? is placement.. Is there a rule of thumb to how close to the sides of the tank we should place these lights? 1" 2" 3" away? etc thanks all

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 01:41 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Generally speaking lights are placed centered over the water because that is where most corals will reside, center outward. Another reason is we tend to leave room @ the front & ends so we can keep the glass clean. Dimmer areas can accommodate species requiring less light.

Unread 09/26/2018, 05:01 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

All depends on the size of your tank/canopy and height you want to mount them but just a few inches is way to close IMO.. Make a drawing showing the cones (or angles) of light and go from there..
The light will spread to the ends quite easily..

Unread 09/26/2018, 10:25 AM   #4
pecan2phat
Registered Member

I use to be one of those guys that centered lights to keep them off the sides but after many years of having diminished lighting on the ends of the tanks, I made some changes when I changed out my lights.
So now I have the outer fixtures roughly 4.5" from the ends and they are 5" apart from fixture to fixture. Now the ends of the tank do not look so dim like the classic cone of light look which I did not like at all.

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote