Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2017, 03:10 PM   #1
mobyfish
Registered Member

Filtration for shark tank. Yes, a shark tank.

I'm starting up a 180 gallon tank for one marbled cat shark. I have a 75 gallon tank that I will be making into my sump. I have a 1800 gph sicce pump and a 250 gallon reef octopus skimmer. I am worried about properly filtering my tank. I was planning on having a few live rock in the tank for my sharky to hide in and have the rest as open sand. I was also planning on having a load of live rick in my sump to act as my bio filtration but was also considering a trickle filter with bio balls. Since I am designing my own sump I have the ability to do either. Or maybe both? I was also planning on putting a carbon bag in there. Let me know what you guys think and any input helps. Thanks

mobyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 03:40 PM   #2
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

I think your tank is way too small. I think you'll get bored with a shark. I think you have a lot of reading to do. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 03:56 PM   #3
mobyfish
Registered Member

Trust me my friend I have done some reading. And I wouldn't say whether or not someone else could get bored. My interest level isn't dependant on how active the species is rather than my love for caring for and keeping these exotic beauties. I am simplyg concerned whether or not I have enough filtration for this species in this tank.

Unread 10/21/2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Live rock in the sump can't hurt anything.

Unread 10/21/2017, 04:27 PM   #5
mobyfish
Registered Member

Thanks I was thinking the same thing.

Unread 10/21/2017, 05:02 PM   #6
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyfish View Post
Trust me my friend I have done some reading. And I wouldn't say whether or not someone else could get bored. My interest level isn't dependant on how active the species is rather than my love for caring for and keeping these exotic beauties. I am simplyg concerned whether or not I have enough filtration for this species in this tank.
I'm sure you have done some reading and that's great. But, your planned tank size and plan to throw a bag of carbon in the sump lead me to believe that you have more to do. I'm not trying to be flippant, but people with those red flags, low post counts, and plans to keep sharks make me suspicious and I hope that person will proceed slowly.

I shouldn't assume you'll become bored with a shark. But, I would eventually become bored with a single species tank, and also frustrated with being unable to find a suitable home for that shark once I wanted other things. Just something to think about.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
Unread 10/21/2017, 05:17 PM   #7
mobyfish
Registered Member

I appreciate that, "throw" was a figure of speach. And most of my hobby has been locally grown. I am just starting to branch out to forums because I can't find the answers I am looking for locally. Thanks for your input.

Unread 10/21/2017, 05:20 PM   #8
ali1
Registered Member

Agreed with hippiesmell. Carbon, bioballs and liverock wont reduce nitrates. Look into various forms of nitrate-reducing filteration on the forums

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 05:49 PM   #9
mobyfish
Registered Member

I have heard of people having success with matrix, anybody ever used it?

Unread 10/21/2017, 06:25 PM   #10
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

A 180 is fine for a marbled cat shark, I use to have one myself in a 180 along with a 3ft snake eel and other fish.

However, a trickle filter with bio balls?? This isn’t 1990. I’d suggest a large sump with live rock and a big skinner along with a sulphuric biodenitrator.

Also, post count means absolutely nothing... I’ve been in this hobby over 19 years and even active on local clubs. My current local club is slow so now I’m here on a national forum. So don’t judge by post count....

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 07:07 PM   #11
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslreefer View Post
A 180 is fine for a marbled cat shark, I use to have one myself in a 180 along with a 3ft snake eel and other fish.

However, a trickle filter with bio balls?? This isn’t 1990. I’d suggest a large sump with live rock and a big skinner along with a sulphuric biodenitrator.

Also, post count means absolutely nothing... I’ve been in this hobby over 19 years and even active on local clubs. My current local club is slow so now I’m here on a national forum. So don’t judge by post count....
You're in the minority for thinking a 180 is large enough for a three foot long shark.

Also, post counts do matter when you know nothing about the poster. You have to assume they're inexperienced until proven otherwise. I've seen a lot of new people come through here, many of whom want sharks.

Unread 11/09/2017, 01:32 AM   #12
greengeco82
Reefer

I agree with the need for nitrate reduction. Bio balls may work in combination of live rock. Carbon will not. Personally I would do a refugium in the sump, where you harvest chateo in conjunction with LR. You could also do a nitrate reactor.

Current Tank Info: 190 gallon DSA mixed reef, 2 X 250W metal halides, 2 X 80w T5's, SRO 3000 skimmer, and a few other goodies under the hood
greengeco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 08:25 AM   #13
ktownhero
Registered Member

A shark in an aquarium is a depressing thought

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 09:10 AM   #14
sde1500
Registered Member

Iffy size tank for that shark. Best recommendation would be swing over to the FOWLR section and see what resident shark expert alprazo thinks. @ktownhero alprazo's tank would change your mind in that matter.

As for filtration, trickle filter is a few decades out of style. If that is what your reading has led you to, time to update your research. Sand or diatom filter would clean the water the of big particles, skimmer, and some bio-media for denitration. Dedicate a sump section for siporax or something like that.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 04:43 PM   #15
crav
Registered Member

Personally, I'd do:

filter floss / sock , properly sized skimmer, a fluidized sand filter (cheaper and better filtration than matrix and other bio rings, especially for that size/bioload) and a refugium or algae scrubber for nitrate and phosphate control.

crav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filtration, live rock, marbled cat shark, sharks, trickle filter