Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2009, 11:40 AM   #26
Reefugee
Registered Member

BTW - thanks for posting pictures of the latching relay. I didn't realize how easy it was to make a latching relays base of a general purpose relay.

Reefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2009, 01:42 PM   #27
oldsaltman
Registered Member

The water change system has been working fine on my 55g for over 3 years. It uses two small powerheads in the freshwater and saltwater holding tanks. The waste water is removed by the an aqualifter. It is all run by the timers/relay and float switches. The only thing that has ever gone wrong is when one of the two holding tanks get empty. I watch that closely, but even If that happens you are only talking about 1g of water difference in the system.
I am just looking to improve it for my new 90g.

Current Tank Info: 90g inwall with a 30g sump
oldsaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2009, 06:20 AM   #28
therealfatman
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
The relay wiring diagram and my schematic are both the same thing

As long as the relay you buy has the same pin configuration as the drawing, you will be fine. If it does not then you have to use your noodle and adapt the wiring diagram to the new relay (with help of the schematic).

Hope that helps
You do not seem to understand that as a general public most reef keepers are not regular readers of wiring schematics of any sort. People describing things in every other field are able to explain things simple enough for laymen to understan and learnfrom. why should areas of simple electronics be any differentt. An engineering professor who was a mentor of mine from my past once said, "if you can not explain something simple enough and draw pictures simple enough for a common laymen to undestand then you do not know the subject well enough to be trying to explain it." Most people also never learn to read blue prints therefore I or the other engineers on this site do not use symbols typically used on blue prints. So it may be fine that you are what are a electrician and understand circuitry well, but what you have presented is to most of us probably nothing more informative than a cartoon animation having nothing to do with relays. It would likely be more helpful in the future if you dummy it down to a laymens level and use words instead of symbols etc.

therealfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2009, 09:48 AM   #29
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by therealfatman
You do not seem to understand that as a general public most reef keepers are not regular readers of wiring schematics of any sort.
Who said I did not understand that? With all due respect, I am starting to find your posts a bit confrontational. I am not sure what you intentions are, but you appear to have a desire to correct my actions and methods of communication, not the information I offer. This is not the first thread and frankly, I find it somewhat offensive.

Quote:
People describing things in every other field are able to explain things simple enough for laymen to understan and learnfrom. why should areas of simple electronics be any differentt.
Look, I help people for free and do so with my limited time. If you don't like the form of help I offer, then I am sorry. I am not being paid to come up with lesson plans and this is not a classroom, it is an online exchange of information. Sometimes it is prudent to learn certain skills before embarking on a project. Electrical and electronics projects are best left to those who have sought to aquire a certain level of understanding. If the information I offer is above the head of the person asking the question, they are free to ask questions, as is anybody else reading along. Asking questions and getting answers is how people learn. If a person wants to learn, sometimes they have to do the hard work of asking questions and aggregating and applying information.

Quote:
An engineering professor who was a mentor of mine from my past once said, "if you can not explain something simple enough and draw pictures simple enough for a common laymen to undestand then you do not know the subject well enough to be trying to explain it."
That is a flat out insult my friend. Again, I am not here to teach electronics, nor have I attempted to. I am not a mentor or charged with ensuring every reader leaves my thread with a full understanding of the subject matter. The reality is that I offered a small bit of information to help somebody along the path of their learning and/or project. Period.

Quote:
Most people also never learn to read blue prints therefore I or the other engineers on this site do not use symbols typically used on blue prints. So it may be fine that you are what are a electrician and understand circuitry well, but what you have presented is to most of us probably nothing more informative than a cartoon animation having nothing to do with relays. It would likely be more helpful in the future if you dummy it down to a laymens level and use words instead of symbols etc.
So let me put this in very frank terms:

I am not an electrician or an electrical engineer. I am an electronics hobbyist and have learned on my own. My "help" comes with a prerequisite of a certain basic level of understanding, as that is all the time I have to offer. The same holds true for just about any type of project advice. This is a place for the free exchange of information, if you do not like the information I offer, then you certainly have the right to offer your own or seek it elsewhere. The same holds true for any other RC member.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2009, 10:29 AM   #30
THE ROOK
Registered Member

BeanAnimal - They're are plenty of us on here that DO appreciate your time here to help the new guys like myself. I'm also not impressed with how this got off track. I found this thread real helpful as I'm in the process of designing my ATO system.

THE ROOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2009, 10:46 AM   #31
driftin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefugee
BTW - thanks for posting pictures of the latching relay. I didn't realize how easy it was to make a latching relays base of a general purpose relay.
It really is easy. If you want a manually reset latching relay for other purposes, you can replace the upper float switch with a normally closed momentary switch. Then the relay will stay latched until you press the button and interrupt the control voltage. I set this up to lock my return pump off if the sump level drops too low or the tank level too high.

Considering that the diagram beananimal provided was just a different presentation of the same wiring diagram in the first post, I really don't understand what the issue is. Seems completely unnecessary to criticise it, IMO. Especially considering how valuable that animation can be in understanding how the two switches work in unison.

Current Tank Info: 70 gal custom room divider
driftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2009, 11:05 AM   #32
Reefugee
Registered Member

Wow - there are sure some unappreciative people on this forum. There's a lot of information on this forum that I don't fully understand or appreciate on initial review. But then all I have to do is do a little bit more research and ask more questions. It shouldn't be incumbent on other people to HAVE to do everything for me. I loved Oldsaltman's diagram because it showed the basic pin-out for the relay. Bean's animated GIF was great for showing how it actually worked. So I am not quite sure why Bean is being attacked for his diagram.

BTW - Thanks BEAN for all your contribution to this forum.

Reefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2009, 11:33 AM   #33
stugray
Premium Member

therealfatman,

'An engineering professor who was a mentor of mine from my past once said, "if you can not explain something simple enough and draw pictures simple enough for a common laymen to undestand then you do not know the subject well enough to be trying to explain it."'

I also find that somewhat offensive....

SO by your description, If I were unable to explain quantum mechanics to you with a simple diagram on this forum, then I dont understand the subject????

The truth is - electronics are not something so simple that we can "teach" you how to understand in a public fourm.

If you do not understand Bean's diagrams, then you have no business trying to DIY anything to do with electricity.

On the other hand - Both myself & my brother & son were able to assemble heathkit radios when we were younger that 10 with almost NO adult supervision.

Maybe you should go buy a heathkit or some "snap circuit kits" so that you too can understand these "complicated" diagrams.

Stu

Well, We KNOW GOD exists, but for US to exist without a GOD is preposterous….Umm wait a minute…. Sounds a bit circular to me…

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. display w/80 gal mud/caulerpa sump. Basement sump w/ LED Grow Light,Gravity fed Reeflo200 skimmer w/ ORCA Recirc, DIY calc reactor & kalk stirrer. Inline plumbed 75 Gal frag/settling tank.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2009, 08:32 AM   #34
therealfatman
Moved On

What ever.

Unread 01/08/2009, 08:57 AM   #35
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by therealfatman
What ever.
I would have honestly pegged you for the type of guy who would offer a sincere apology instead of a smug brush-off. In retrospect and in light of your recent comments, I guess I misread you. Sadly, looking back, much of what you post now appears to have come from that same perspective.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2009, 08:48 AM   #36
therealfatman
Moved On

See my PM.
I tried. You are apparently not accepting PM's.

Last edited by therealfatman; 01/09/2009 at 09:15 AM.
Unread 01/16/2009, 09:10 PM   #37
dwl
Registered Member

oldsaltman,
Did you end up installing this and does it work the way you wanted it to?

I want to use something like this for my reservoir with 2 float switches and a solenoid to control the DI water flow and am curious if the diagram that you atarted with is what you ended up with.

Thanks.

dwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2009, 08:58 AM   #38
oldsaltman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dwl
oldsaltman,
Did you end up installing this and does it work the way you wanted it to?

I want to use something like this for my reservoir with 2 float switches and a solenoid to control the DI water flow and am curious if the diagram that you atarted with is what you ended up with.

Thanks.
Yes, I have it temperally installed and it is working. I am still adjusting the levels and only running test water through the system with no salt yet. So far it is working as I wanted.

Unread 01/18/2009, 11:44 AM   #39
dwl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oldsaltman
Yes, I have it temperally installed and it is working. I am still adjusting the levels and only running test water through the system with no salt yet. So far it is working as I wanted.
Sorry, just want to be clear. It is working the way you wanted it to using the diagram in the first post?

Thanks.

Unread 01/18/2009, 04:06 PM   #40
oldsaltman
Registered Member

Yes, that is the design I am using.

Unread 01/18/2009, 04:44 PM   #41
dwl
Registered Member

thank you very much

Unread 01/18/2009, 07:08 PM   #42
brackishdude
Registered Member

my "for the dummies" explanation.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...51#post8115751

brackishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2009, 08:54 PM   #43
dwl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brackishdude
my "for the dummies" explanation.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...51#post8115751

Oh good, just for me eh? lol

Thanks, I will read through it closely.

Unread 01/18/2009, 10:44 PM   #44
brackishdude
Registered Member

Actually, it was pretty much a direct copy of the diagrams I made for myself as I worked through the logic for the first time.

So I guess I know it best, since I explained it to a moron like me!

brackishdude is offline   Reply With Quote