Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/25/2009, 09:28 AM   #1
805reef
Registered Member

what causes coraline to grow so fast?

i just cleaned the inside of my tank with an acrylic scaper on tuesday, and already yesterday, and even more so today, the inside of the tank is getting covered in coraline! ive seen so many people on here wanting so bad for coraline to start growing, and here i am wanting it to stop! or at least slow down.

805reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

dont complain too much, although imo if it becomes like plaster it could clog up the live rock, decent parameters, nice calcium and alkilinity levels in general are good reasons why its thriving in your tank, my suggestion, be happy about it, just keep an eye on the live rock, i have removed a couple of pieces of my rock before as it was caked in the stuff, i scraped it off and put it back in the tank, most reefers would be delighted with your problem,lol,

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 09:37 AM   #3
805reef
Registered Member

thanks mike, thats what i keep telling my wife. but she doesnt like how it gets in the way of seeing into the tank... i guess i will just have to clean it more often

300 gallon peninsula, return:RD3 Speedy 230, Turbo's Rev4 L2 Algae Turf Scrubber, (2) Gyre 150s, Advanced Acrylic sump, (4) Ocean Revive T247s, Apex (classic w/ black sticker;):D)
Unread 07/25/2009, 09:41 AM   #4
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Calcium and alkalinity levels, as well as lighting conditions.

You want good calcium and alkalinity levels in your tank for other reasons, but if you want the coralline to stop growing on your glass, you may be able to control that through creative alteration of your lighting fixture. What are you using to light the tank? How good are your reflectors? Really good reflectors direct nearly all light straight down, where it enters the water column - and there is very little spill to the sides, i.e. the glass. Poor quality reflectors and/or fixtures too high off the tank can tend to light the glass quite a bit. I have seen situations like you are describing where people altered their reflectors, or attached narrow "blinds" in strategic locatins, to keep light off the glass. This can make a pretty significant difference in algae growth on the glass.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 09:48 AM   #5
805reef
Registered Member

i have a 48" long tek t5 6 bulb fixture on a 48x30 tank... the fixture is about as high as it can be... maybe i will lower it and see how that goes

300 gallon peninsula, return:RD3 Speedy 230, Turbo's Rev4 L2 Algae Turf Scrubber, (2) Gyre 150s, Advanced Acrylic sump, (4) Ocean Revive T247s, Apex (classic w/ black sticker;):D)
Unread 07/25/2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

i wouldnt worry about it, your a lucky fella, great parameters and good corraline growth,lol, can you give us some tips haha.

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 09:56 AM   #7
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Lowering it, even a few inches, should reduce spill onto the glass, and increase intensity in the tank (where you want it.) Sounds like a good step to take.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 10:21 AM   #8
jbird69
Registered Member

most of my coraline grows in the more shaded areas. caves, under rocks, in my overflow and my sump.

Unread 07/25/2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

805reef,
I'm curious... what are your calcium and alkalinity readings right now?

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 12:11 PM   #10
MM WI
Registered Member

From my experience keeping alk at or above the upper end of the recommended range will incourage coraline on the glass. Keeping it in the middle of the range will help the coraline grow on the rock where you definitely want it.

WOW, so many beneficial thing have been maligned on this site... If coraline joins the list i am going to lose my mind!

- mark

MM WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 12:30 PM   #11
bms270
Registered Member

I suffer from the same luck! coraline grows like crazy on everything! I repositioned a big white rock in the tank and in two weeks its all covered with beautiful purple coraline! so if anybody wants coraline I can cover your rock! I think its because of the fact that I got my live rock from a guy that had the same story. I guess its the gin of the coraline! anyway Im happy having a very colorful tank! Be happy about it!

Current Tank Info: 225G Mixed Reef
bms270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 03:21 PM   #12
Ebisan
Registered Member

I wish i had your problem. Coralline doesnt grow in my tank anymore. Was wondering what brand of salt you are using.

Ebisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2009, 12:05 AM   #13
MM WI
Registered Member

I believe that bms270 is on to something, my observations suggest that better quality live rock will have trace minerals and a composition that encourages the growth of coraline. Lower quality rock or rock that has been kept outside of recommended parameters too long will have a harder time growing coraline.

MM WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2009, 12:21 AM   #14
troublesx10
Registered Member

one way you can keep the coraline algea in check and a great way---- longspine black urchin------it is the equilivent of what the snails do to the algea, but it goes more for the coraline algea

troublesx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2009, 05:56 AM   #15
Mopar Reefer
Registered Member

I believe that MG is also very important, I couldn't get coraline to grow in my DT to save my life. I tested my MG and it was 1075, then when I raised it to 1400, coraline took off. By the same token my Alk and cal was all within parameters the whole time, it just took some extra MG to get started.

Mopar Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2009, 12:14 PM   #16
FRP
Registered Member

my rock was covered with it when i got it and it just spread like crazy

FRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2009, 12:31 PM   #17
805reef
Registered Member

i am using NSW, i have to test for cal/alk/mg... i have a blue tuxedo urchin, would i be able to keep a spiny black with the blue tuxedo?

Unread 07/27/2009, 07:50 PM   #18
troublesx10
Registered Member

yeah think so, see no reason why not.

troublesx10 is offline   Reply With Quote