Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/24/2020, 07:36 PM   #1
joekidwell
Registered Member

How do I stop light from flooding the room

Hello, I was thinking of building a half hood to sit on top of the 28 gallon, would this be the most practical way of eliminating the light flooding from the halide?

photo 20200824_123959_zpscta2el0v.jpg

joekidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2020, 08:37 PM   #2
MarAquatic
Registered Member

Maybe make something like this out of black polycarbonate

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2020, 08:45 PM   #3
joseserrano
Registered Member

Canopy

joseserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2020, 08:40 AM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Worth a shot if you don't mind the look.

Unread 08/26/2020, 05:52 PM   #5
doonan75
Registered Member

How much light spill do you have? I'm using halides too and honestly most of the light spill is coming from the tank itself not the fixture. Try mocking up a half hood with cardboard before you commit to the real thing to see if there is much of a difference.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

doonan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2020, 05:57 PM   #6
doonan75
Registered Member

My refugium which is LED produces more light spill in my opinion. We have preteen children so it kinda acts as a night light LoL.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

doonan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2020, 09:15 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

Mine (a bowfront) has an 8" shell of thin and flexible black laminate, with a strong right angle pine joint (painted at the meeting of 2 side in the back, and a joint at the 2 front corners, letting the front laminate bow as needed. The trick is, there's a pine 1"x1" piece reinforcing all corners, cut an inch or more short at the bottom, so when you lower the canopy onto the tank, the stubs at corners prop the whole triangular bow and straight sides up ON the tank rim, so you get an inch or more to cover the frame, and the top is left open. Onto that pine stub top, you can lower a plexi or laminate cover shaped to fit the tank, with a feeding hole near the apex of the bow.

You can alter this to fit a rectangular tank: but you might want to go by sections, ie, adding a stub every 2 feet or so, just to be sure it's well-supported, and you could do the removeable top cover in sections. This pseudo-canopy helps with jump-prone fishes, and also slows evaporation slightly. Your sump will in general provide enough evap to handle calcium 'hand' supplementation (ie, no reactor needed.) It cannot support lights, not that strong; but you can rig a prop for them somehow. On one tank, we got a piece of glass for the light kit to sit on, which simply bridges the tank frame, and never touches the canopy itself.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.

Last edited by Sk8r; 08/26/2020 at 09:20 PM.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote