Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2018, 03:17 AM   #1
down under
Registered Member

Is my Red Coris Wrasse normal?

I just purchased a red coris wrasse a few days ago and he/she has settled into my 55g tank nicely. However, I have noticed at about 1/2-1hr before 'lights out' the wrasse will skim the surface of the glass incessantly going backwards/forwards, up down. or along the bottom of the tank. At first I thought maybe it could see a reflection of itself but I don't think that's the case. Then I got worried it was looking for somewhere with sand to bury itself for the night (my tank is bare bottom). But now I'm thinking its hunting for food b4 bedtime. Is this normal behaviour for RCW or wrasses in general?

Also, do I need to create a sandbed in part of my tank for him/her to bed down at night? I have read reports that some RCW do just fine hiding in live rock at night (which I have plenty of in my tank).

down under is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2018, 08:45 AM   #2
Optionman
Registered Member

they definitely need sand to bury themselves nightly. also red coris wrasse will flip and and all unattached frags, rocks, etc. this is what they do in hunt for pods

Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2018, 09:44 PM   #3
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by down under View Post
I just purchased a red coris wrasse a few days ago and he/she has settled into my 55g tank nicely. However, I have noticed at about 1/2-1hr before 'lights out' the wrasse will skim the surface of the glass incessantly going backwards/forwards, up down. or along the bottom of the tank. At first I thought maybe it could see a reflection of itself but I don't think that's the case. Then I got worried it was looking for somewhere with sand to bury itself for the night (my tank is bare bottom). But now I'm thinking its hunting for food b4 bedtime. Is this normal behaviour for RCW or wrasses in general?

Also, do I need to create a sandbed in part of my tank for him/her to bed down at night? I have read reports that some RCW do just fine hiding in live rock at night (which I have plenty of in my tank).
Hi.....I have had my red Coris for a few years now, he was maybe 2 inches when I got him, now he is a little over 6 inches and transitioning. You will need a sand bed for sure, they sleep in the sand at night. So it is very possible he is looking for a place to sleep. Is he eating good? How big is he? Make sure you glue down all your coral....even large colonies.....he will flip over anything looking for food. Also I can't have a clean up crew....he has eaten every shrimp, hermit crab, and snails I have put in the tank. He is one of my favorite fish though.....so I put up with him...lol...if you have any questions about him I will be happy to help!!! Here is a picture of mine....

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2018, 09:45 PM   #4
Cancun
Registered Member

See how everything is glued down....lol....

Unread 07/09/2018, 09:52 PM   #5
Cancun
Registered Member

Here is a link to my YouTube channel...I have a video of my Wrasse....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEa...4TFTU3PcoSGR6g

Unread 07/10/2018, 08:01 AM   #6
pfan151
Registered Member

As has been mentioned, sand is a must. You can try putting a Tupperware filled with sand in the back if the tank if you don’t want sand in the main display but they will still splash quite a bit of the sand out of the tub eventually. Also, a 55g tanknis really going to be too small for it long term imo.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 05:01 PM   #7
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
As has been mentioned, sand is a must. You can try putting a Tupperware filled with sand in the back if the tank if you don’t want sand in the main display but they will still splash quite a bit of the sand out of the tub eventually. Also, a 55g tanknis really going to be too small for it long term imo.
I agree with that....mine went from 2 inches to over 6 inches in 2 yrs......so they are relatively fast growers.....

Unread 07/10/2018, 11:04 PM   #8
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:

Not sure if you are reading your posts here, but how is your new Coris Wrasse doing?

Unread 07/11/2018, 12:31 AM   #9
down under
Registered Member

Yes, my RCW is doing fine.... has settled into the tank nicely and spend the day cruising around amongst the live rock hunting for things to eat. I bought a double barred rabbitfish (DBRF) the same day as the RCW to try to deal with some outstanding hair algae issues (have been dosing with NO3-PO4-X to reduce NP levels) but unfortunately the DBRF didn't settle in has now been replaced with a small kole tang (KT) which is performing algae duty like a trooper (though ignoring the nori clip I have provided).

I have today removed some of the live rock in the tank to give the kole tang more room to swim and, yes, may need to upgrade to a larger tank in the future as has been suggested. I have identified a corner of my tank near the overflow where I can create a partial sandbed for the RCW but so far he/she seems unstressed and am a bit worried about nutrient buildup with a sandbed.

So, all in all, am enjoying the RCW and the kole tang very much ATM ... I have a pair of clowns hosting in a goniopora and watching them interact with the new introductions has been a lot of fun.

PS ... a quick (not so good) snap of my RCW taken with iphone is attached fyi.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RWC.jpg (101.0 KB, 15 views)
Unread 07/12/2018, 12:45 PM   #10
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, my RCW is doing fine.... has settled into the tank nicely and spend the day cruising around amongst the live rock hunting for things to eat. I bought a double barred rabbitfish (DBRF) the same day as the RCW to try to deal with some outstanding hair algae issues (have been dosing with NO3-PO4-X to reduce NP levels) but unfortunately the DBRF didn't settle in has now been replaced with a small kole tang (KT) which is performing algae duty like a trooper (though ignoring the nori clip I have provided).

I have today removed some of the live rock in the tank to give the kole tang more room to swim and, yes, may need to upgrade to a larger tank in the future as has been suggested. I have identified a corner of my tank near the overflow where I can create a partial sandbed for the RCW but so far he/she seems unstressed and am a bit worried about nutrient buildup with a sandbed.

So, all in all, am enjoying the RCW and the kole tang very much ATM ... I have a pair of clowns hosting in a goniopora and watching them interact with the new introductions has been a lot of fun.

PS ... a quick (not so good) snap of my RCW taken with iphone is attached fyi.
Glad to hear he is doing great!! Nice pic!

Unread 07/12/2018, 01:38 PM   #11
pfan151
Registered Member

I definitely recommend putting the small sandbed in the corner like you mentioned. It would be years before such a small sandbed could contribute negatively to your tank (if ever). Even if at some point it did, you could easily siphon it out and replace with new sand. A sand burrowing wrasse will not do well long term without sand.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 06:59 PM   #12
down under
Registered Member

To update this thread I have added a small sandbed of 1mm coral sand and the RCW is bedding down in it O/N. The 'hunting' behaviour before lights out has gone and is replaced with the more usual inquisitive searching about the tank that I see during the day. The sand may need topping up and I have a bit of an issue with suspended grains but I get this with broken down live rock anyway (which is finer). Thinking about using a some polyester floss in the sump or maybe carbon reactor. So, RCW definitely seems happier.... thanks for your advice Cancun and pfan151

Tags
bare bottom, normal behaviour, red coris wrasse