Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 04/17/2018, 10:15 AM   #1
saltyshanker
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 10
110 gallon reef tank with no sump or skimmer ?

Would it be possible to do a 110 saltwater tank with a HOB AquaClear Power Filter - 110 V ? instead of a sump and skimmer ? im on a budget at the moment and will get a sump and skimmer in the future will this be an alright alternative at the moment ?


saltyshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 10:19 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 15,006
Yes you can most certainly run a system without a sump or skimmer...
Anyone that says different is wrong
Sumps, skimmers, reactors, fuges,etc... are all optional equipment

I would actually recommend you just use powerheads and skip the HOB filter.. Mechanical filtration (especially something like that) isn't very beneficial at all as it does little for the chemical aspects that are far more important..
The bacteria that grows in/on all the surfaces in an aquarium is what does the bulk of the work..
In general you want about 20-30x display tank volume in flow from powerheads in a tank.. So a 100G system would be best served with a single or multiple powerheads totaling about 3000GPH of flow..

A system with at least 1lb of porous rock per gallon of water and powerheads totaling 20-30x plus light and heat if needed is all you need (of course saltwater too )


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 10:23 AM   #3
saltyshanker
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 10
thanks so much for the info ! i keep hearing people telling horror stories of not having sumps or skimmers so this is a reassurance . do they just overexagerate ?


saltyshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 10:30 AM   #4
ssky
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 104
This hobby can be enjoyed with a really simple basic setup or the most complicated with a jungle of wires and equipment totaling thousands of dollars. I like simple setups. Have had tanks without ump, or any other filtration. Like mcgyr said all you need is power head, heater, live rock and saltwater. You can skip saltwater if money is the issue. :0)


ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 10:32 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 15,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyshanker View Post
thanks so much for the info ! i keep hearing people telling horror stories of not having sumps or skimmers so this is a reassurance . do they just overexagerate ?
yes.. they either overexaggerate or just don't know any better..
There are quite a few people in this hobby that just go by what they read and there is a crap ton of bad information floating around (not all bad some just lacking context/clarification,etc...)..

Good on you for actually questioning what you have heard.. Keep that up and you should do just fine..


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Jesterrace
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyshanker View Post
Would it be possible to do a 110 saltwater tank with a HOB AquaClear Power Filter - 110 V ? instead of a sump and skimmer ? im on a budget at the moment and will get a sump and skimmer in the future will this be an alright alternative at the moment ?
You could but the issue is that if you plan on adding a sump in the future, you would want a pre-drilled tank, otherwise it would be a massive pain to add it later. I suppose you could get a predrilled 110 and then just keep the water level below the overflow line for the time being and run it that way. With a 110 you would need dual 110 filters to get anything close to resembling sufficient flow for that size of tank even for a few weeks or months.


Jesterrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 10:48 AM   #7
saltyshanker
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssky View Post
This hobby can be enjoyed with a really simple basic setup or the most complicated with a jungle of wires and equipment totaling thousands of dollars. I like simple setups. Have had tanks without ump, or any other filtration. Like mcgyr said all you need is power head, heater, live rock and saltwater. You can skip saltwater if money is the issue. :0)
thanks


saltyshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 10:50 AM   #8
saltyshanker
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterrace View Post
You could but the issue is that if you plan on adding a sump in the future, you would want a pre-drilled tank, otherwise it would be a massive pain to add it later. I suppose you could get a predrilled 110 and then just keep the water level below the overflow line for the time being and run it that way. With a 110 you would need dual 110 filters to get anything close to resembling sufficient flow for that size of tank even for a few weeks or months.
thanks again i was worried a bit , but now that i know ill do fine without a sump or skimmer im really excited to get this up and running in a few weeks !


saltyshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 10:50 AM   #9
saltyshanker
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
yes.. they either overexaggerate or just don't know any better..
There are quite a few people in this hobby that just go by what they read and there is a crap ton of bad information floating around (not all bad some just lacking context/clarification,etc...)..

Good on you for actually questioning what you have heard.. Keep that up and you should do just fine..
thanks again i was worried a bit , but now that i know ill do fine without a sump or skimmer im really excited to get this up and running in a few weeks !


saltyshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 03:33 PM   #10
nereefpat
Registered Member
 
nereefpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central Nebraska
Posts: 2,487
I ran a 90 gallon sumpless for almost a decade. Kept lots of LPS and soft corals at the time. In its prime, that tank looked better than my current 125.


__________________
Pat

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 04:26 PM   #11
PitViper
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 120
Iím running a 10 gallon with plans to use to the 40 gallon that I have. Iím running a canister and using the in flow from the canister as my flow for my tank. Itís been doing good so far. So Iím happy. And will prob go with an fx 4 whennindonthe 40 gallon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 04:33 PM   #12
Joe0813
Registered Member
 
Joe0813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston strong
Posts: 2,366
the awesome thing of running a system with a sump is it hides all the equipment that you dont want in the tank. i personally will never run a tank without one just because i dont like the cords and clutter. I have seen some awesome tanks that had no sump or skimmer so it can be done


__________________
Joe and Jenny

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 06:04 PM   #13
Anemone
Cloning Around
 
Anemone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Valencia, California
Posts: 24,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyshanker View Post
thanks so much for the info ! i keep hearing people telling horror stories of not having sumps or skimmers so this is a reassurance . do they just overexagerate ?
No, they don't exaggerate. A skimmer, especially, can be a big safety valve for new members of the hobby. The problem is, we (all of us, even veteranos) tend to overfeed and overstock. That leads to excess nutrients, which combined with the high lighting levels commonly used in reef tanks often causes incredible algae blooms (ie, horror stories).

That being said, after 24 years in the hobby, I just started my first tank with a sump. For about 8 years in the middle, I ran my anemone tank without a skimmer (and it had no sump).

So, yes, you can have a very successful saltwater tank without either a sump or a skimmer. Just stay on top of your maintenance.

Kevin


__________________
Just watching the world go by...

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 06:11 PM   #14
dattong
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 695
When I was in the transition moving from an old tank to a new tank, my skimmer pump stopped working so I ran skimmerless for a year. I'm telling you the water quality was day and night different. Protein skimmer adds so much clarity to the water and I bet your fish and corals are going to love you for giving them a good protein skimmer.


dattong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
110 gallon, hob filter

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:31 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.