Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2018, 01:08 PM   #26
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Oldhead is like me; when you get old, you don't get grouchy, you just get very honest. I'm too old and sick to worry about offending someone - I might not be around tomorrow. And if you CHOOSE to be offended, you will be.

I believe if you are going to keep mandarins /dragonets, it's best to set your tank up for them at the start - as I did.

I have one of my two outflows behind the rockwork and along the bottom. I simply squirt food into the pump intake and food emanates from under the rocks.

I have most beautiful Marine betta (Comet) I've seen. And I get to see him maybe once a week if I'm lucky (stupid thing!).

Getting a pair of chalk bass was the best thing I've done for my tank. I just hope they don't die from being too fat.

I'll never keep any non-clown damsel again. Too unpredictable.

I like shrimps, so I would never keep any type of hawkfish. I screwed up once and put a long-nose hawk in a customer's tank. She really loved her cleaner shrimp, and was VERY upset when it was eaten.

I LOVE Watanabei angels. I keep dwarf angels with my derasa clam (Coral beauty, Eibli) but I don't recommend it for others. But Watanabeis are cool.

Stupid flasher wrasses always jump - escape artists. I set this last reef tank up so they "can't" (shouldn't) get out - but I haven't had the nerve to try one yet.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 04:14 PM   #27
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
You didn't read the OP's whole post did you?

He probably likes his corals

You wouldn't end up with 5

The only damsel fish to consider and not give you headaches are chromis, he already has clowns. Any others I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Since when do hawks attack corals?

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 05:12 PM   #28
mommahen
Registered Member

I love my Blue Reef Chromis. I have a small school (6) of them and while they do sort out a hierarchy, it is a non-violent one and they leave everything else alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mommahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 06:28 PM   #29
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post

...Getting a pair of chalk bass was the best thing I've done for my tank. I just hope they don't die from being too fat...
What do you like so much about the chalk bass? This thread is the first time I have heard of them.

Thanks!

Unread 04/20/2018, 06:28 PM   #30
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommahen View Post
I love my Blue Reef Chromis. I have a small school (6) of them and while they do sort out a hierarchy, it is a non-violent one and they leave everything else alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you know how quickly they grow? thanks.

Unread 04/20/2018, 10:28 PM   #31
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Cox View Post
What do you like so much about the chalk bass? This thread is the first time I have heard of them.

Thanks!
They stay small, 2-3 inches, they're colorful, eat like little piggies, never hide, reef safe, don't harm other fish, pair off easily (just keep them singly or a pair) don't jump, and they're quite hardy.

Good, all around reef fish.

I should point out that EVERYTHING I post is from first hand experience. If I not have done it, or kept it, or screwed it up, I won't comment on it. I believe regurgitating what one has only read about is exactly what ruins the internet. (Within reason and common sense. Subjects like chemistry depend on the findings of other.)

Last edited by WVfishguy; 04/20/2018 at 10:41 PM.
WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 10:52 PM   #32
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Azure or yellow tail damsels are among my favorites, I've got 12 of the latter in my tank with another 25 in QT. Been keeping them for years and they never bother anything. Not a fan of green chromis; too likely to carry uronema. No thanks!

Chalk basslets are nice. I have a trio as well. They're a bit wimpy. My last group ended up close to 3" each, so they're not always small.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 12:30 AM   #33
Jesterrace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Lamarck is pretty big. A G. watanabei is a much better choice.
The Watanabei's also tend to be pretty fragile. If I were going Genicanthus, I would go with a female Bellus. More color, only about an inch bigger than the Wetanabei for max size and they are more hardy.

Jesterrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 02:00 AM   #34
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Chalk bass apparently can have a taste for small shrimpies.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 04:08 AM   #35
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterrace View Post
The Watanabei's also tend to be pretty fragile. If I were going Genicanthus, I would go with a female Bellus. More color, only about an inch bigger than the Wetanabei for max size and they are more hardy.
My Watanabei pair are fat and long live. I don’t think that they are fragile. Eat everything insight and are very fat. I am curious as to why you think they are fragile?

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 04:15 AM   #36
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
Since when do hawks attack corals?
Maybe the hawk doesn't but the other two in that same sentence surely have a possibility to nip at corals.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 05:56 AM   #37
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Maybe the hawk doesn't but the other two in that same sentence surely have a possibility to nip at corals.
Ok.

Surely you can see why I was confused.

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Unread 04/21/2018, 06:15 AM   #38
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
Ok.

Surely you can see why I was confused.
It's all good, now off to the fish store for more goodies.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 06:18 AM   #39
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
It's all good, now off to the fish store for more goodies.
I cannot go to a fish store today. I want some more frags. But I guess it’s going to have to wait.

Unread 04/21/2018, 03:00 PM   #40
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Well, unfortunately I came home yesterday and found my 5 year old Yellow Assessor lying dead on the floor. This fish has never jumped before. I guess another fish spooked him. I had a top on my previous tank so I guess I should make one for this tank.

In terms of new fish, I am now thinking about...

1 - Flame Hawkfish
2-3 - Either Chalk Bass or Some sort of Wrasse

How does this sound?

Thanks.

Unread 04/21/2018, 03:45 PM   #41
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Well, unfortunately I came home yesterday and found my 5 year old Yellow Assessor lying dead on the floor. This fish has never jumped before. I guess another fish spooked him. I had a top on my previous tank so I guess I should make one for this tank.

1 - Flame Hawkfish

How does this sound?

Thanks.
Red head Solon fairy wrasse is pretty. Not sure about compatibility.

Unread 04/21/2018, 07:49 PM   #42
OrionN
Moved on

If you have a screen top, a few fairy or Flasher wrasses are definitely worthwhile addition to your tank.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 04/22/2018, 03:48 PM   #43
OrionN
Moved on

How can we not fallen in love with Flasher wrasses? Completely reef safe, nice community fish, no sand needed. Just need the screen top on.

Unread 04/23/2018, 04:45 AM   #44
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
How can we not fallen in love with Flasher wrasses? Completely reef safe, nice community fish, no sand needed. Just need the screen top on.
Nice looking fish for sure. Thanks!

Unread 04/27/2018, 05:01 AM   #45
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:

1 - Flame Hawkfish

How does this sound?

Thanks.

All,
Question on this - if I go with this fish selection, could I QT this group of fish all at once in a 20G QT tank? Or would I need to split them up? (I am leaning towards the Chalk Bass with the Hawkfish.)

Thanks!

Unread 04/27/2018, 05:15 AM   #46
OrionN
Moved on

QT tank should be comfortable for the fish. I am sorry but I have never keep Chark Bass or Hawkfish so advises about keep them together in a bare tank is for other people to answer.
How to QT really depends on what you hope to achieve with QT. Many people QT to ensure they don't have Ich in their system. This QT is long and treatment needed. I never worry about Ich, never have significant problem with this disease. My QT is mainly to get sensitive fish eating, comfortable to captive live and fat prior to releasing into DT. I have a 40 gal reef set u that I use to QT corals and clams. This is where I keep new fish, either by themselves or with compatible fish. They learn to eat captive food and get healthy prior to go into DT.

Unread 04/27/2018, 05:23 AM   #47
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
QT tank should be comfortable for the fish. I am sorry but I have never keep Chark Bass or Hawkfish so advises about keep them together in a bare tank is for other people to answer.
How to QT really depends on what you hope to achieve with QT. Many people QT to ensure they don't have Ich in their system. This QT is long and treatment needed. I never worry about Ich, never have significant problem with this disease. My QT is mainly to get sensitive fish eating, comfortable to captive live and fat prior to releasing into DT. I have a 40 gal reef set u that I use to QT corals and clams. This is where I keep new fish, either by themselves or with compatible fish. They learn to eat captive food and get healthy prior to go into DT.
Thanks for your reply. And I agree with the purpose of your QT. I just want to observe them and get them eating. But I don't really want to keep another permanent tank. I have enough on my hands with my main display!

Unread 04/27/2018, 07:50 AM   #48
nereefpat
Registered Member

I think the 20 gallon will be fine for qt. Just watch the ammonia and change water and add Prime as needed.

If you have to separate the basslets from each other, just divide up the tank with egg crate and mesh. I would pick small specimens if possible.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2018, 05:19 AM   #49
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Ok, I'm thinking about another option to go with the Hawkfish...

A small school of Blue Green Chromis

Would 3 or 5 be a better # for a 4 foot 100G tank? I am worried that 5 may be too many but then with 3, I am worried that it might be more likely that 2 will gang up on the 3rd. Thoughts / experience on this?

Thanks!