Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2018, 09:15 AM   #1
Pokerman11
Registered Member

Basement SUMP - too much splash

Running a 90 DT with a basement sump.

I'm pluming in a new fuge, using a basic 20G High tank as a fuge. I've got the fuge overflow setup to then go into my main sump.

Problem I have is that I have too much flow coming from the main tank. It also has a lot of air with it. Thus when the water hits the fuge tank it's full of bubbles and air. Its just that the bubbles in the flow rise up and causing splashing,

I know over time this will be an issue.

I need to find some way to enclose the flow into the fuge, with baffles or design a deeper fuge sump.

I know a lot of commercial sumps the flow into the sump is an enclosed compartment. Anybody have any designs/pics on a DIY sump that would help me?

Pokerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:50 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Why don't you feed the fuge from the sump (return pump Tee) instead? That way you can control the flowrate through it.

There are thousands of pics on DIY sumps available through google images..
https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+...=lnms&tbm=isch

Unread 04/23/2018, 09:51 AM   #3
reenact12321
Registered Member

removing the air would be one way, could you up your pump enough to get your drain into full siphon mode?

reenact12321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:56 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenact12321 View Post
removing the air would be one way, could you up your pump enough to get your drain into full siphon mode?
If there is excessive air bubbles its highly likely that the flowrate is actually too fast for the current drain system not too slow..

Unread 04/23/2018, 09:57 AM   #5
reenact12321
Registered Member

I think the splashing issue will persist whether he has the drain going into the fuge or a sump with equipment.

A simple solution might be to put a hook or collar onto the end of the pipe and put a sock on it, might reduce the turbulence a little. Just make sure to change it regularly.

reenact12321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 05:11 PM   #6
bblumberg
Registered Member

How about putting a gate valve on the line so that you can regulate the flow appropriately? What sort of overflow are you running anyway? Durso, Herbie, Bean or?

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 10:01 PM   #7
aclinville
Registered Member

It’s hard to really say without looking at the setup but I would say to add an s-trap right before entering the fuge as this will keep the splashing inside the pipe and as the water exits the s-trap it will be a slow controlled steady flow into the fuge and will only be dropping a few inches instead of feet

aclinville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2018, 07:24 AM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Sounds like you are running a single drain, durso? The best option would be to convert to a dual (or even triple) siphon drain. I certainly appreciate the desire to take advantage of gravity - I feed my refugium and ATS from the siphon drain in my system. No need to use a pump for that. If you cannot convert to a dual drain, then it is quite easy to make a muffler. I made one a while back, though don't have it anymore so cannot show you a picture. FWIW, constraining as single drain with any kind of valve is a spectacularly bad idea .... for reasons that ought to be self-evident.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2018, 09:00 AM   #9
GreenTankCorals
Registered Member

Do you have any pics/sketch of your setup?

GreenTankCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2018, 10:42 AM   #10
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Sounds like you are running a single drain, durso? The best option would be to convert to a dual (or even triple) siphon drain. I certainly appreciate the desire to take advantage of gravity - I feed my refugium and ATS from the siphon drain in my system. No need to use a pump for that. If you cannot convert to a dual drain, then it is quite easy to make a muffler. I made one a while back, though don't have it anymore so cannot show you a picture. FWIW, constraining as single drain with any kind of valve is a spectacularly bad idea .... for reasons that ought to be self-evident.
^^^This^^^

If, indeed, it is a single drain (Durso), a simple way to reduce the air going into the sump (or refugium) is to put a simple PVC "T" on the end of the drain so that the "leg" of the T is just above the water level. That will allow most of the air to escape before it enters the water.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote