Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/30/2011, 07:07 PM   #151
bruce922
Registered Member

I'm impressed with some of the water making and mixing stations.

bruce922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2011, 07:18 AM   #152
Soultwater
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
Why's that? I was considering upgrading my 75gpd unit with an additional membrane (already have a booster pump).
The way they recommend/hooking it up doesn't make sence to me. One membranes waste runs into the other so one will run out faster.

Current Tank Info: 125g mixed reef + 90g corner
Soultwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2011, 12:41 PM   #153
skh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc350twin View Post
Here is my mobile water change station. Two 10gal. Vittles Vaults on a ghetto Harbor Freight cart. Heaters and power heads. One new water container and one waste water. once I pump the waste out I pump the new in then roll it to the closest bathroom and empty it.

Nice! That's a really sweet setup that I think I'm going to have to copy. Have you thought about adding a power strip to your dolly so that you only need to plug in one cord when powering up the pumps and heaters?

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 05:27 PM.
skh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2011, 05:01 PM   #154
yardboy
Advanced Bewilderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultwater View Post
The way they recommend/hooking it up doesn't make sence to me. One membranes waste runs into the other so one will run out faster.
By using the waste from one membrane to supply a second membrane will result in twice the RO water production, after which running through the DI will give you double the production with a higher recovery rate.

Current Tank Info: 200g shallow cube, prop tank
yardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2011, 05:23 PM   #155
yardboy
Advanced Bewilderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@zina.com View Post
Those are outside the man cave. The actual cave is the covered porch that was enclosed. The lattice and swings are designed to appeal to the opposite gender and direct them outside the man cave, which should get him a six month extension to his man card...

Jeff
Thank you Jeff, you are exactly right. Need to keep them close at hand, but not too close.
Testing her limits. When tanks arrive, go back on the porch.

Please don't tell me you expect big screen, pool table and bar to be in MY mancave?

Unread 02/01/2011, 05:36 PM   #156
evoi19
Registered Member

Here's mine. Still semi-manual. A day or two before my WC I add water, heat it up and add salt. When it's time, I grab a 20 gallon bucket, siphon the old and flip a switch for the new water to pump in. Takes about 15min total for a WC.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WC.jpg (46.6 KB, 1138 views)
Unread 02/01/2011, 07:55 PM   #157
arsenic
Registered Member

Some great solitions to our very common problem in here.

arsenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2011, 08:22 PM   #158
The Punisher
Registered Member

Yardboy, I'm very jealous of your man cave.

Unread 02/02/2011, 12:45 AM   #159
dpx88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentman View Post
Here is my RO storage tank. It was custom made from polypropylene and holds about 80g. I run both my ATO and SW mixing from it. Every Friday I fill up a 40g brute on wheels and pre-mix my SW for the next day's water change. However, I am looking into a 100g SW holding tank.

where did you get the tank done at?

dpx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2011, 06:11 AM   #160
beatle
Registered Member

I'm curious how everyone has sized their systems. Originally I planned to have two 55g drums for RO/DI and SW, but my plans are ultimately only to have a 180g. As I'll be able to make water very quickly, I'm thinking my storage is a bit oversized. Maybe use a few 30-40g tanks (I have some spares) instead?

beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2011, 06:28 AM   #161
The Punisher
Registered Member

I use 2 32 gallon Brutes and so far that seems to be enough for my 120 gallon tank.

Unread 02/02/2011, 06:47 AM   #162
yardboy
Advanced Bewilderment

Quote:
I'm curious how everyone has sized their systems. Originally I planned to have two 55g drums for RO/DI and SW, but my plans are ultimately only to have a 180g. As I'll be able to make water very quickly, I'm thinking my storage is a bit oversized. Maybe use a few 30-40g tanks (I have some spares) instead?
Sizing a storage system too small and you can't make allowances for emergency situations, when a need for water is greater, such as a leak, regenerating DI resin, water for an associates emergency etc. Plus if you have daily demands on the RO the water quality will not be quite as good on initial startup so your DI resin will not last as long. Better to have one long run to fill your tanks than more short runs.
Oh, and did I mention that your "ultimate plans" might suddeny include bigger and more tanks?!

Unread 02/02/2011, 11:30 AM   #163
beatle
Registered Member

I wouldn't physically have room for more than a 180. If I had a leak that exceeded my ability to produce water, RODI would not be my first concern.

What do you mean by "regenerating DI resin?"

My ATO would run from my RO/DI reservoir which would be turned on weekly or semi-weekly depending on my demand to make NSW. If I'm able to make 150gpd, I can fill a 30g reservoir in only a few hours.

I'm all about doing something right the first time, but that doesn't necessarily mean overdoing it.

Unread 02/02/2011, 11:47 AM   #164
swenholz
Registered Member

These cover my ATO and semi-auto water change apparatus. The lower 15 gallon drum is for SW while the upper is the RO drum attached to the ATO float valve and gate valves to fill the lower drum. The upper drum is filled automatically by the RO filter attached to an RO filter float valve. Once SW is mixed, I have matching pumps and the valves are sent to remove old water from the overflow directly to the kitchen sink and add new water to the sump from the SW drum. The whole process takes about 15 miuntes. I have also recently added (not pictured) a secondary valve off the new SW sump fill line to be able to easily get water for my QT when needed.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge", "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" - French Taunter (John Cleese)

eznet2u - Soap will not remove Jalapeno juice from tender bits.

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef in wall/peninsula (Under Construction)

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 05:28 PM.
swenholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 05:26 AM   #165
yardboy
Advanced Bewilderment

Quote:
I wouldn't physically have room for more than a 180. If I had a leak that exceeded my ability to produce water, RODI would not be my first concern.
True, but it would be your second concern if you needed more than a 15% water change in a hurry (30/180 - 16.67% water change)
What do you mean by "regenerating DI resin?"
DI resin is a mixture of seperate cation and anion resins. Using acid and caustic solutions, you can remove the contaminents from the resin and reuse it. It requires quite a bit of water to do the process though. It's far cheaper than purchasing fresh DI resin each time it exhausts.My ATO would run from my RO/DI reservoir which would be turned on weekly or semi-weekly depending on my demand to make NSW. If I'm able to make 150gpd, I can fill a 30g reservoir in only a few hours.

I'm all about doing something right the first time, but that doesn't necessarily mean overdoing it.
It's all about ones experience and situation. If you don't have the room, that's just it, you do what you have to. Planning for contingencies due to my own experiences is how I see it. My systems aren't much bigger than yours, (200g) and I often wish I had more water than the 55 ea. of salt and fresh.

Unread 02/03/2011, 06:25 AM   #166
beatle
Registered Member

Thanks. I didn't know about recharging resin, though I have over 40 extra lbs of the stuff from a tank purchase, so that's not really a big deal in my case.

What situations do you have where you've needed/wanted to make a larger water change?

Unread 02/03/2011, 09:38 AM   #167
IRISSERVICE
Registered Member

swenholz nice water drums...where did you get them?
Thanks
John

MRC Sump Refugium---Circulation Tunze Wave Box---Main Pump - Seq3200 3phase W/ VFD
Cooling

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon Starphire euro braced
IRISSERVICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 10:07 AM   #168
jeff@zina.com
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardboy View Post
Please don't tell me you expect big screen, pool table and bar to be in MY mancave?
Hey, I moved three pinball machines out of the room to make more space for fish...

Jeff

jeff@zina.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 01:15 PM   #169
swenholz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISSERVICE View Post
swenholz nice water drums...where did you get them?
Thanks
John
Found them on survivaloutpost.com. They are food grade former Dr Pepper and Coca-Cola suryp drums. I think I payed $15 ea., $60 total after shipping. They had a slight suryp smell when I got them but a good vinigar soak for a day or so all but eliminated that.

BONUS: Since I run my RO top-off from the top one, it also doubles as a 15 gallon emergency water source should the big one hit and our local drinking water be contaminated.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge", "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" - French Taunter (John Cleese)

Unread 02/03/2011, 04:27 PM   #170
yardboy
Advanced Bewilderment

Quote:
Thanks. I didn't know about recharging resin, though I have over 40 extra lbs of the stuff from a tank purchase, so that's not really a big deal in my case.

What situations do you have where you've needed/wanted to make a larger water change?
kalkwasser overdose, or any accidental one for that matter. skimmer fails and dumps 30 gallons on the floor. Sump crack, siphon fail on overflow or durso clogs with astrea snail. The list goes on and on. And check out swenholz post on emergency water supply. Better more than less. But as I say, if you ain't got the room, you just ain't.

Unread 02/03/2011, 04:37 PM   #171
gambitcobra
Registered Member

here is mine

the left side is the salt side and the right is fresh

Unread 02/07/2011, 10:18 AM   #172
Orcrone
Registered Member

Currently my mixing station consists of two Brute 44 gallon containers and a bunch of gas cans for moving the RO water from my LFS to my garage. After reading through this thread I'm inspired. I plan on ordering an RO/DI unit today along with a bunch of seals. But first I have a few questions.
  1. What size piping does everyone use for their systems? I'm considering either 3/4" or 1"?
  2. I plan on keeping both Brute cans for saltwater & purchasing a new container for RO/DI so I'll always have SW available, even if I just depleted one of the containers. Do you think this is overkill?
  3. I looked at some containers from plastic mart that were pretty high priced (about $230 to $270 for a 55 - 65 gallon container). I found some that were much less from other companies. What should I look for in a plastic container to make sure it will be safe for use?
  4. Which is better for mixing SW; a powerhead in the container or an external pump circulating water out the bottom and back in the top?
Thanks!!!

Orcrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2011, 10:32 AM   #173
swenholz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcrone View Post
Currently my mixing station consists of two Brute 44 gallon containers and a bunch of gas cans for moving the RO water from my LFS to my garage. After reading through this thread I'm inspired. I plan on ordering an RO/DI unit today along with a bunch of seals. But first I have a few questions.
  1. What size piping does everyone use for their systems? I'm considering either 3/4" or 1"? Piping size is up to you. Depends on what you have room for. I used 3/4" but you can use what ever makes you happy.
  2. I plan on keeping both Brute cans for saltwater & purchasing a new container for RO/DI so I'll always have SW available, even if I just depleted one of the containers. Do you think this is overkill? There is nothing wrong with having contingency water. If you have the room, go for it.
  3. I looked at some containers from plastic mart that were pretty high priced (about $230 to $270 for a 55 - 65 gallon container). I found some that were much less from other companies. What should I look for in a plastic container to make sure it will be safe for use? Food grade containers would be best. You can find refurbished ones online for around $50.
  4. Which is better for mixing SW; a powerhead in the container or an external pump circulating water out the bottom and back in the top? I use an internal pump that circulates from the bottom to the top, but I had to do that due to space. From a maintenance stand point, an external pump would be easier if you have the room.
Thanks!!!

Unread 02/22/2011, 09:18 PM   #174
speedo2wet
Sharks!!!!

Question?
I noticed with everyone who has a bulkhead placed at the bottom of the drums, there placed a few inches above the bottom. Do you always keep the drum full of SW? Is there ever a point that the container is able to be completely emptied or will there always be a few inches of water in the drum? I'm trying to decided how to plumb the 55 gallon drums so they would empty completely. At first I thought about placing the bulkhead on the bottom of the drum and having a hole in the stand for it to go through. Then I was thinking how much different it would be if the bulkhead was on the side, does anyone place a 90 degree on the inside with an extender pipe to grab that last 5 gallons of water that would otherwise sit on the bottom?

I plan on having my drums, one on top of the other. I would fill the top with RODI then mix the salt, turn a valve and dump the 55 gallons down into the next drum. I can now make another batch of SW on the top while circulating the bottom drum. I would have them hard plumbed so I can circulate either the top or bottom by them self or I can circulate them at the same time.

Any opinions? Although, as it was said before, I should always have a back up batch ready to go.

Just to fill you in, this would make approx. 110 gallons for my 220 shark tank and my 112 reef. I change out about 50-80 gallons in the shark tank and only 10-15 gallons in the reef every month. I also plan on adding another drum if need be for our turtle tank that we are working on in the mean time. I also will have the pump, pump the SW from the drums to the two tanks across the house so no buckets will be needed for emptying or filling. I hate carrying and pushing buckets through out the house.

speedo2wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2011, 06:04 AM   #175
beatle
Registered Member

I'm also curious about being able to empty the containers completely. If you can't empty them completely, how do you measure to make the next batch?