Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/25/2018, 10:22 AM   #1
Tahlequah
Registered Member

Emergency LED housing - using lasers

I had an failure in a previous tank and had to make an emergency switch over to a new tank. The previous tank was a biocube with DIY LEDs in the hood. With the new tank being a rimless tank, I had to get inventive for lighting.

So, I took out the wiring for the LEDs, heatsink, and fan. Made a handy dandy box, using a laser cutter (glowforge), and had my lights moved over to the new tank in a little under 3 hours.

A few pictures of design, measuring, cutting and finally installed (temporarily).

Pardon the sparseness of the tank, I went from a 14g tank to a 30g, so I have some more stocking to do.

On a side note, I currently have 14 cree leds going (7 white and 7 blue), which was more than enough for the 14g. What are your thoughts on lighting for a JBJ 30g rimless tank? Some friends suggested AI Prime HD. I could make another 14 led setup, but the newer setups are a bit lighter and could be hung a lot easier than my DIY setup.

Current Tank Info: JBJ 30RL
Tahlequah is offline   Reply With Quote