Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/04/2018, 05:21 PM   #1
crabbydan
Registered Member

Plumbing thoughts

Getting ready to plumb a new tank and new sump. Tank is custom size 5 feet x 2 feet and 22 inches tall. Stand is a powder coated steel stand about 37 inches tall. Yes looking forward to less crawling under a tank soon. So I cut some plain white pvc to mock my plumbing. First 3 pictures are 3 drain lines with 3 45 degree angles. Clean straight forward. 2nd set of photos is 2 45 degree angles but it looks a little wonky not as straight/clean. Also the third line does cross over the fuge in the sump but shouldn’t get in the way of lights or anything else I throw down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crabbydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2018, 05:23 PM   #2
crabbydan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbydan View Post
Getting ready to plumb a new tank and new sump. Tank is custom size 5 feet x 2 feet and 22 inches tall. Stand is a powder coated steel stand about 37 inches tall. Yes looking forward to less crawling under a tank soon. So I cut some plain white pvc to mock my plumbing. First 3 pictures are 3 drain lines with 3 45 degree angles. Clean straight forward. 2nd set of photos is 2 45 degree angles but it looks a little wonky not as straight/clean. Also the third line does cross over the fuge in the sump but shouldn’t get in the way of lights or anything else I throw down there.

Sorry had trouble uploading multiple pics here is the rest.

The paint stirrer is where this design goes over the sump fuge.

Unread 08/04/2018, 05:45 PM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

I would try to avoid the 90's if at all possible. IMHO, 45's are a much better choice

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2018, 08:19 PM   #4
saveafish
Registered Member

Brace your pips to the back of the stand. Don't let the overflow box or the sump support the weight or vibes.

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2018, 05:31 AM   #5
mattgumaer
Registered Member

I would pick the first setup as it keeps more of your sump easily accessible and is less likely to interfere with potential equipment. I don't think I'd worry too much about the 90s on drain lines, although I would try to avoid them on return lines.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2018, 08:33 PM   #6
thegrun
Registered Member

You are going to want a gate valve on the primary full siphon drain line near the bottom of the drain line just before it goes into the sump.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2018, 01:04 PM   #7
crabbydan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
You are going to want a gate valve on the primary full siphon drain line near the bottom of the drain line just before it goes into the sump.

I agree I am just determining direction right now. Straight back angle over to ghost overflow or straight down and cross the sump to the sump intake lines.

In addition to the gate valve I am debating on plumbing a tee and valve on the emergency drain to a temp filter sock ion case I want to run a sock in the future. I am also lining up my return lines and manifold lines to avoid these drain lines.

Good advice thanks!

Unread 08/10/2018, 03:19 PM   #8
Lsufan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I would try to avoid the 90's if at all possible. IMHO, 45's are a much better choice
I agree, u can plumb those drains without using a single 90. U can do it with only using 3-45’s in each line. It seems u are really trying to keep the pipes out of the way as most as possible, which in that case u would end up having to use 4-45’s on each line. U wouldn’t have any horizontal sections in the pipe. That is still better then using 2-90’s & 1 or 2 45’s & running the pipe horizontaly

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2018, 08:21 AM   #9
FamilyTank
Registered Member

I'd go for looks,over functionality in this case if your stand is going to be open. There isn't an appreciable difference.

Watch "BRStv Investigates: Which reduces more flow, 45 or 90 degree elbows?" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/h-PG4a0rU60

FamilyTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 09:07 PM   #10
BruceWayne
Registered Member

Thanks die the video very helpfully

BruceWayne is offline   Reply With Quote