Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/04/2018, 11:35 AM   #1
Icewing726
Registered Member

Who has solved a chaeto no grow problem?

I'm searching for solutions here, tons of threads out there start walking down a theoretical path only to abruptly end with no update on whether it worked or if they gave up. I've killed a huge amount of chaeto and it's getting old.

I have a large section of the sump dedicated to it and a very very small power head to circulate the water in the area. I started dosing Seachem Phosphorous/Potassium/and occasionally Iron. I actually did the nitrate once and kicked myself when I realized what I did, not sure if it's the same nitrates I'm trying to kick but still .

Anyway, I also moved this chaeto to the top of the water near a baffle so it gets the most direct light possible from my chaeto max leds (I'm about to buy a clip on light and put a plant light down there too.

Like I said, who has had this problem and fixed it? Why can't I grow this supposedly extremely fast growing plant?

Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2018, 12:36 PM   #2
Reef noob_
Registered Member

Mine stalled until I started iron dosing. I do randy holmes Farley’s homemade recipe weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Build in progress http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2528685
90 gallon DT, 65 Gallon Fuge, Chinese LEDs, LPS and Soft coral reef
Reef noob_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2018, 12:37 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

Dunno---I hate to say, but I got really good growth back when I used an ordinary CFL flood at 6500k in a shoplight body, the same as you use in auto repair.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2018, 08:20 PM   #4
saveafish
Registered Member

+1 on iron

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2018, 09:52 PM   #5
Scottedontknow
Registered Member

It’s all about the par! You need to light your refug with a light that can keep up with your display lights. I’ve been running kessil grow light for the past to years and they grow chaeto like crazy. I also never understood the spinning of the chaeto, I’ve never done it and mine is green even all the way at the bottom of the tank. This is just what works for me. Like sk8r said he had success with a cfl bulb!

Scottedontknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2018, 07:31 AM   #6
Icewing726
Registered Member

I'll look into the iron I guess, I have some and I added a par 38 flood light to the refugium to add light.

Unread 08/05/2018, 09:28 AM   #7
GoJo
Registered Member

I ordered a baseball size chunk online earlier this year and it did the same thing you describe. Never grew at all, but didn't die, for several months. I was just using a clip on light socket with a flood lamp over it. I switched to a LED flood to try and get brighter light. The chaeto now fills a 15" square area of my sump and I take out about 1/2 gallon every other week. Don't know if it was the bulb, the chaeto acclimating, or something else, but I will take it. No other changes.

GoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2018, 04:46 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

What are your nutrient levels (nitrate/phosphate?)
What light are you using?

What is the reason you want to grow chaeto?

Unread 08/06/2018, 07:14 AM   #9
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post

Finally, someone asked the N & P question.

People don't keep chaeto to grow chaeto, they keep chaeto to reduce N & P.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2018, 07:54 AM   #10
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef noob_ View Post
I do randy holmes Farley’s homemade recipe weekly.

Share?

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2018, 08:20 AM   #11
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Finally, someone asked the N & P question.

On the money. If you want to grow macro algae you need a different approach.
This might not be beneficial to your reef tank.
Light is the most limiting factor for algal growth, followed by nitrogen and phosphorus limitations. Algal productivity is often correlated to levels of nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P) (N:P ratio). Other nutrients are required including carbon, silica, and other micro nutrients. You can dose some nutrients into the water but they must be dissolving forms. There are fertilizers avail for planted tanks. In a high nutrient tank, you dose a nitrogen source such as ammonia for growth. If the result is too much micro algae (hair) you add Co2 to combat that. I dont think this is what we want in our in home coral reefs.
Let me add :
For some reason certain types of algae will not grow in certain tanks. Why? I dont know, but it is prob chemistry related. Since you have a prob with chaeto growing maybe try a red macro.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2018, 08:24 AM   #12
Reef noob_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
Share?

It’s been working for me almost a year now.

Unread 08/06/2018, 08:55 AM   #13
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:

Awesome thanks.

Can any iron tablets be used or do they have to be specifically from Fergeson? Canada doesn't seem t stock that brand so I was curious if another brand would do. I can get these easily in stores:

http://a.co/9cOnC7i

http://a.co/9LU2i99

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
Unread 08/06/2018, 09:24 AM   #14
Reef noob_
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome thanks.

Can any iron tablets be used or do they have to be specifically from Fergeson? Canada doesn't seem t stock that brand so I was curious if another brand would do. I can get these easily in stores:

I really don’t know about those. I was able to find the Fergon tablets and bought a few packs that should last a lifetime.

I’d look at the ingredients in those alternatives and see if they match the ones recommended and go from there.

Unread 08/06/2018, 09:27 AM   #15
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
I really don’t know about those. I was able to find the Fergon tablets and bought a few packs that should last a lifetime.

I’d look at the ingredients in those alternatives and see if they match the ones recommended and go from there.

I appreciate the help. I wouldn't see why it would HAVE to be Fergon but then again Randy Farley knows an infinite amount more about chemistry then I do so that's why I was wondering if it had to be those specific name brands.

BTW is Randy still around here?

Unread 08/06/2018, 09:32 AM   #16
Reef noob_
Registered Member

Quote:
I appreciate the help. I wouldn't see why it would HAVE to be Fergon but then again Randy Farley knows an infinite amount more about chemistry then I do so that's why I was wondering if it had to be those specific name brands.

BTW is Randy still around here?

Yeah I just followed exactly what he said to avoid any mistakes. He is pretty active over on the other main reefing forum but not as much here anymore.

Unread 08/06/2018, 09:34 AM   #17
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
He is pretty active over on the other main reefing forum but not as much here anymore.

Ya noticed that as well.

Unread 08/06/2018, 10:02 AM   #18
nereefpat
Registered Member

Anything with ferric gluconate will work fine. Your local pharmacy will have a few choices for iron supplements.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
Unread 08/06/2018, 10:05 AM   #19
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Anything with ferric gluconate will work fine. Your local pharmacy will have a few choices for iron supplements.
Both of these seem to have it (if looking at the ingredients picture), So they will work just fine?

Unread 08/06/2018, 10:06 AM   #20
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Thats where I was going with my question..
I'd suspect that their N&P levels are already low.. So at this point why the need to grow chaeto?
And I figured it might be a "because thats what the cool kids do" type of thing..
same reason newbies start out their tanks with GFO rectors,etc... on them.. They don't know why people use them.. Just that many tanks do so it must be the right thing...

Unread 08/06/2018, 02:00 PM   #21
Icewing726
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post

Sorry for the delay, forgot to subscribe.

Nitrates are around 50 ppm right now, phosphates test 0 but I don't have a test that shows between 0 and .25 all that well.

Edit: I'm dosing potassium and phosphorous along with Iron directly on the chaeto in the sump.

Unread 08/06/2018, 02:06 PM   #22
Icewing726
Registered Member

Quote:

Thank you for this, I'll stop with the seachem stuff and make some of my own. Fingers Crossed

Unread 08/06/2018, 02:07 PM   #23
Icewing726
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
On the money. If you want to grow macro algae you need a different approach.
This might not be beneficial to your reef tank.
Light is the most limiting factor for algal growth, followed by nitrogen and phosphorus limitations. Algal productivity is often correlated to levels of nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P) (N:P ratio). Other nutrients are required including carbon, silica, and other micro nutrients. You can dose some nutrients into the water but they must be dissolving forms. There are fertilizers avail for planted tanks. In a high nutrient tank, you dose a nitrogen source such as ammonia for growth. If the result is too much micro algae (hair) you add Co2 to combat that. I dont think this is what we want in our in home coral reefs.
Let me add :
For some reason certain types of algae will not grow in certain tanks. Why? I dont know, but it is prob chemistry related. Since you have a prob with chaeto growing maybe try a red macro.
So if I does CO2, will that help the chaeto out compete the hair algae? I added a strong PAR 38 Flood to this area and the fuge is growing a lot of algae on the sides of the tank.

Unread 08/06/2018, 02:31 PM   #24
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Both of these seem to have it (if looking at the ingredients picture), So they will work just fine?

I like door number 2 better, although the peppermint oil is a strange ingredient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewing726 View Post
Sorry for the delay, forgot to subscribe.

Nitrates are around 50 ppm right now, phosphates test 0 but I don't have a test that shows between 0 and .25 all that well.

Edit: I'm dosing potassium and phosphorous along with Iron directly on the chaeto in the sump.
50ppm? Whoa. Big water changes with 0 TDS source water are needed. I wouldn't dose phosphorous.

Unread 08/06/2018, 04:28 PM   #25
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewing726 View Post
So if I does CO2, will that help the chaeto out compete the hair algae? I added a strong PAR 38 Flood to this area and the fuge is growing a lot of algae on the sides of the tank.
It will at the expense of your coral. The lower pH will dissolve your coral and reef rock. Over time the hair will go away this way, but is that really what you want. I would first try water changes for nitrate reduction. I would then try a red or ulva macro algae in place of the chaeto in your sump. If the hair is a problem (like growing on your macro algae) you can try a bunch of dwarf cerith snails after trimming the hair down.
Macro algae are not as quick to grow as micro (hair in your case) That why the first algae you see in new reef tanks is micro strains. They do go away in time if you keep the tank parameters in line.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote