Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2016, 10:27 PM   #3776
karimwassef
Registered Member

I am big into automation, Aqua-HAL with blue eye instead?

I tried Dr Tim's Waste-Away

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2016, 10:29 PM   #3777
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
I am big into automation, Aqua-HAL with blue eye instead?

I tried Dr Tim's Waste-Away
I'll get that next and check it out. I need to finish playing with my new skimmer first. The eco balance I know is alive.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2016, 12:22 AM   #3778
karimwassef
Registered Member

ok.. it's been 4 days and nights since I added the CC and with a 100gal water change... I still have foam. No negative effects, but still got foam.

My sump has three zones..

the first is turbulent crashing in and has the skimmer inlet.
the second is the scrubbers with some wave action and has the skimmer and chiller outlet.
the third is the calm sensor zone with almost no surface motion before being returned to the tank.

This is the same water flowing through the sump - but look at the difference in water surface

CRASH
 photo 8A3250DF-464A-40E3-8FC0-B68316CA479E_zps0vvn1h1z.jpg

SCRUB
 photo F7C963BE-EDEE-4BD6-AD88-DCBC7A7C3238_zpsgu2k6quv.jpg

CALM
 photo F1447E7E-C0FF-4AC7-8669-6781F5E31627_zpsvxos0duy.jpg

The last stage looks like it has an oily film almost.. I tried to show it better here
 photo 0C7966BE-3A7D-40CF-AF3D-70A8A1E093C4_zpsgbe3t00a.jpg

My new waterfall ATS has nice smooth flow on one side but splashes more on the other, look at the water surface on either side

photo E6F8CF3B-43A3-4E95-BAB8-36F11F3ACD4C_zpsgspiiceu.jpg

Sure there are lights on the right, but you can tell the difference in water surface "gloss?"

I'll make a video of my surface agitation - that might explain a few more things about the use of CC.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 06/15/2016, 01:05 AM   #3779
karimwassef
Registered Member

Here's a look at the open polyps and mucus at night

Unread 06/15/2016, 09:45 AM   #3780
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
I'll get that next and check it out. I need to finish playing with my new skimmer first. The eco balance I know is alive.
I would be curious to hear your evaluation of Microbacter7. I'm usually not a fan of bottled bacteria products but I absolutely love this stuff. I've had unforseen emergencies pop up which required the total tear down and bleaching of a QT while a fish was halfway through TTM. I dosed ammonia after setting it back up and on day 6 it was completely cycled, just in time for the fish. I've had consistent experiences with this product, unlike Dr. Tim's which I tried twice in the past: one bottle worked, the other was completely dead.

Unread 06/15/2016, 11:25 AM   #3781
Kurt03
Registered Member

I looked briefly at mb7 but didn't see anything moving. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for though.

Kurt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2016, 12:02 AM   #3782
tigersmith
Registered Member

Vivid aquariums just used fleischmann's active dry yeast to get rid of dinos in their 800G display.

tigersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2016, 12:15 AM   #3783
matt_97055
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersmith View Post
Vivid aquariums just used fleischmann's active dry yeast to get rid of dinos in their 800G display.
That was on diatom's not dino's

sent from a Samsung note 4

Unread 06/18/2016, 01:50 AM   #3784
tigersmith
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_97055 View Post
That was on diatom's not dino's

sent from a Samsung note 4
Ooops. Thanks for correcting me. I cleared dinos with waste away and manual removal in my frag tank.

tigersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2016, 01:40 PM   #3785
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Anyone able to ID this thing? Took a sample of my sand today and saw many diatoms, ciliates, copepods and one of these things. It appears to have dinos in its gut, quite small as those are diatoms there at the bottom.

On a side note, going on 3 weeks since I last saw a single dinoflagellate in my tank. I'm up to 40% intensity for 5 hours a day. Corals are doing well and displaying great polyp extension. Each sample I take contains more and more diversity each time, which is a relief.

Unread 06/18/2016, 03:37 PM   #3786
karimwassef
Registered Member

Looks like a kind of pod?

Unread 06/19/2016, 05:00 AM   #3787
taricha
Registered Member

I think it's a marine mite. Look up halacaridae. Seen these in my sand too. Assumed they were related to ostracod, but they aren't really.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2016, 08:52 AM   #3788
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
I think it's a marine mite. Look up halacaridae. Seen these in my sand too. Assumed they were related to ostracod, but they aren't really.
I'd have to agree with that ID, thanks!

Unread 06/19/2016, 05:22 PM   #3789
taricha
Registered Member

Follow up on earlier stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
The question seems pretty dang straightforward: What level of single-dose H2O2 kills ostreopsis?
...all doses in ml H2O2 per Liter of tank water.
Concentrations of .5 to .8ml/L caused 100% of dinos to stop moving by 30 min after, and some lost theca.
But next day, many of the dinos had recovered in each beaker.

next the one question becomes 2: what peroxide level to kill ostis in the dark, and what level kills them in the light?

...blah blah stuff about studies in light vs dark peroxide application...

side note: I guess, that any application of peroxide to kill photosynthetic stuff should be done in bright light to reduce the amount of H2O2 required.
So I've done paired light/dark tests, and checked the ostis for any movement the day after adding different amounts of H2O2 (in ml/L).
No = Not a single osti moving
Yes = Somewhere in sample there was an osti still moving
H2O2 - light - dark
1.6 - Yes - Yes
1.8 - Yes - Yes
2.0 - No - No
2.2 - No - No
2.4 - No - No

I'll do a few more sets to confirm numbers for single dose before moving to gradual doses.

What I don't get is that I've seen no difference in any test so far between peroxide applied in the light (beaker lit by sump lights that grow chaeto) and peroxide applied in the dark (inside a cabinet).
There are some good reasons to think that light would make peroxide more effective, and maybe even some arguments that darkness could be better for peroxide use on ostis - peroxide persists longer in the dark, and perhaps more of it can get into the inside of the cell before reacting.

But I honestly can't figure how light/dark has no effect that I've been able to see so far.

Unread 06/19/2016, 06:34 PM   #3790
Kurt03
Registered Member

Maybe it has more of an effect in the smaller longer term doses. We shall see....

Unread 06/20/2016, 06:27 AM   #3791
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
no one knows what exactly is in it but most think it's basically erhythromycin, the same stuff we take for bacterial infections
Ran across this by RHF in another place laying out the reasons to conclude chemiclean is erythromycin...

"We always suspected it was just because they said, weirdly, that it wasn't erythromycin succinate:
Contains no phosphates, algaecides or erythromycin succinate
Not that it doesn't contain erythromycin or that it doesn't contain antibiotics. Sort of like saying an aquarium additive has no copper chloride in it, when folks are asking about copper and couldn't care less about chloride.

Claude of Fauna Marine comments here that it was analyzed by the government in Germany and found to violate rules due to having erythromycin in it:
We had in germany a big scandal due to this and the product was analyzed by the veterany office of Hannover
and they showed that this product is erythromycine sulfate .. this is a antibiotics whic normaly only a doctor can give up
due to the usage in this case and this ammounts the possibilitly of unwanted resistance is very big
"

Unread 06/20/2016, 08:35 AM   #3792
karimwassef
Registered Member

It may be a mix but the physical properties of the water wouldn't change with an antibiotic.

The viscosity and surface tension definitely changed.

Would anyone consider trying this out with dinos using the high foam/air exchange reactor concept?

Unread 06/20/2016, 08:35 AM   #3793
karimwassef
Registered Member

Just be prepared for your tank to looks like a washing machine oversudsing.

I was personally stunned that a teaspoon of powder would agitate a 700gal system like mine. The reaction was violent but the results were astounding and nothing died.

Well... The coral growth spurt did cause a surge in coral on coral violence and death but I consider that a biproduct.

Unread 06/20/2016, 10:50 AM   #3794
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post

Would anyone consider trying this out with dinos using the high foam/air exchange reactor concept?
Could you elaborate a little?
You mean using the foaming properties of the cc to supercharge a skimmer mechanism and look for effects on dinos?

Unread 06/20/2016, 11:37 AM   #3795
karimwassef
Registered Member

yes, but not as a skimmer... you don't want effluent, you just want a huge number of bubbles to create surface foam with cc. you want to keep it all in the system, but several airstones with a large air pump would have the same effect. I'd add lots of flow to get into all the nooks and crannies.

In your case, take a bucket of dino infested water and add an airstone with a powerful airpump (overdrive the poor bucket) and add the right portion of CC.... then measure the results.

Unread 06/20/2016, 09:05 PM   #3796
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Looks like my Dad's tank recently had an Amphidinium bloom, so as an experiment, he's going to try to win through the biobomb route first. He doesn't want to blackout if he doesn't have to, so this should be a good test on whether Microbacter7 and phyto daily dosing is enough to encourage other diversity to beat Amphidinium naturally without a blackout period. He will be starting with a thorough cleaning of the rock, sandbed and back chambers of the BioCube followed by a 25% WC. Right after the WC, he'll begin dosing 5 mL of Microbacter7 and 2.5mL of Brightwell PhytoChrom daily. I'll post an update in a week or two.

Unread 06/21/2016, 10:26 AM   #3797
Kurt03
Registered Member

It's getting there!

5/28

6/9

6/20

Unread 06/21/2016, 12:17 PM   #3798
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt03 View Post
It's getting there!
Nice improvement! Fingers crossed you can beat it back completely.

Unread 06/21/2016, 12:32 PM   #3799
karimwassef
Registered Member

Kurt - what are you doing to push them back?

Unread 06/22/2016, 06:02 PM   #3800
Acromaniac
Registered Member

Could iodine possibly be the cause of Dino?

So I have had Dino's for a year now, they are the free floating rusty bubble kind that get stuck to corals and kill them. The back wall and pumps are also covered in them.

The problem first occured when I changed my T5 bulbs which were about 15-18months old.

I used to be on Zeovit and always has 0 nitrate, and 0.03 phosphate. While on this method I had tried complete black outs, no water changes etc. nothing helped so I just tried to wait it out.

Recently I decided to stop Zeovit, I have added siporax to my sump and I added GFO. Within the first week or 2 of running GFO, the dino's looked as though they shifted to another kind, they were now the more browny hairy kind stuck to the back wall with bubbles in it and my corals were looking cleaner, I thought this might be the beginning of winning the war. I then decided to change the GFO incase it was exhausted so that it could keep up what seemed to be great progress. It then went back to the original type and is strangling my corals again.

After a lot of reading, I have now decided to try nitrate dosing, i'm only a couple days in but I plan to raise this to about 5ppm, currently I have raised it to 0.5ppm.

Then it hit me, even though I havent been doing water changes, what have I been adding to the tank? the only thing I have been adding is Lugols. So today I decided to google Iodine and Dino's. What comes up? Dino's being preserved in Lugols solution along with other micro algae and plankton for Microscopic analysis.

Could I have found the solution? Is it possible that the Dino's are being fuelled and protected within the tank by the Lugols?

If this is possible it got me thinking maybe the reason no water changes works for some people is that the iodine completely bottoms out. Now, apart from me stopping the addition of Lugols, is there anything I can use to deplete the iodine in the system so I can test that this is the case?

Acromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote