Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2017, 06:01 PM   #1
racantu
Registered Member

Weird levels of nutrients

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and kinda new to the hobby. I have a 160 gal reef (aspirational) tank with sump, im using mature water, mature matrix, carbon reactor, phosphate reactor, protein skimmer and very mature live rock, I do my periodical 25% water changes (monthly) and normally have all my water parameters in line.

I did a new water change two days ago and started treating Cianobacteria with red ciano yesterday. Today on my weekly water test I discovered a very high concentration of Nitrates. 40ppm. I'm bugged by the fact that I have no amonia and no phosphates. ( I don't test for nitrites, maybe I should) In your experience, could this high levels of nitrate be related to the red ciano treatment I'm performing? Or high levels of amonia, nitrates and phosphates are not correlated and I have been living in a lie?

Thanks!

racantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 06:13 PM   #2
Ejb
Registered Member

Wouldnt be the cause of the treatment, your cycle is breaking down the ammonia to nitrite then it goes to nitrate. Keep doing water changes on a more frequent basis ( 10% or more ) once a week to bring it down. This will also help with the cyano problem.

Ejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Ejb
Registered Member

Also phosphates and nitrates are not hand in hand

Ejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 06:28 PM   #4
racantu
Registered Member

Thanks a lot Ejb!

racantu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags