Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/19/2017, 02:57 PM   #26
acsamples79
Registered Member

like mentioned, DC pumps and skimmers run with DC pumps will help tremendously. I run a synergy reef overflow (bean animal) an ecotech vectra DC return pump, and a Skimz DC skimmer. with the stand doors wide open its not noticeable over any ambient noise in the room (tv, talking, outdoors noise, Hvac, etc) i honestly didnt even think it was running one morning i woke up shortly after setting it all up. powerhead wise, Ecotech quiet drives are probably the best option (no experience just reading reviews) i currently have 2 small jebaos (newest model) and at max, a VERY slight hum when close to the tank, again not noticeable over ambient noise. I have a Jebao PP-20 (the biggest new model) and its pretty loud honestly.

acsamples79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 04:49 PM   #27
Chris Mills
Registered Member

Tunze pumps work well and are quiet running.

Chris Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 12:35 AM   #28
Aeon
Registered Member

That is great! So I go for the VorTech MP40wQD QuietDrive!

How silent are your skimmers and return pump?

Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 12:51 AM   #29
Aeon
Registered Member

That is great! So I go for the VorTech MP40wQD QuietDrive!

How silent are your skimmers and return pump?

Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 09:14 AM   #30
GQsmooth
Registered Member

Yup, I would go with he MP40's for PH's. I have Jebao PP-15's and can hear them across the room.

For a pump, you may want to look into Deepwater Aquatics as another cheaper alternative.

GQsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 05:50 AM   #31
2000se
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
What's the difference between silent and super silent ? Many of the DC pumps are silent - they make no noise. Most powerheads also make little to no noise. Skimmer is unlikely to be silent, though. Quiet, if muffled, but not silent ..... or super silent.
skimmer always gets you.. No matter how silent everything else is...

2000se is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 09:49 AM   #32
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000se View Post
skimmer always gets you.. No matter how silent everything else is...
Even one of the DC pump operated ones? Especially if that pump is oversized running at 50%. My skimmer noise comes from the pump it uses. The silencer on it does a good job at minimizing airflow noise to the point where I can't hear it.

That being said, my sump is in my garage, so I could have a radio playing in it and wouldn't care. Also, not being argumentative, just curious if you had the same experience with the dc pump skimmers (I have never owned one).

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 12:57 PM   #33
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Are you able to run a remote/basement sump? That would take skimmer and return pump noise out of the conversation.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 01:14 PM   #34
mako61
Registered Member

All my pumps are DC, I cant hear them sitting a few feet from the tank. I get an occasional gurgle from overflow, it seems to drift adjustment a bit. I sometimes hear the Neptune Wav powerheads kick on when they are pulsing hard. I had a similar size tank 10+ years ago and this tank is probably 10% of the noise. A good overflow and decent DC return/skimmer pumps make a huge difference.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powerhead, silent, silentequipment, submersible pump