Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2017, 02:31 AM   #976
Goubli
Registered Member

Well....I have had a 60" aurora over my tank since April. I have noticed that as the day cycle changes the lights will dim and turn all the way off and then turn back on. Also, at the very end of the cycle the two L most LED clusters turn off. I don't know why or what's up.

So today I just went to a local meet and got my first big stocking of sps frags. I mount them and they were looking amazing. An hour before the lights are supposed to go off my circuit trips and I look around and cannot for the life of me figure out why. I reset the circuit and everything comes on but the lights.

I unplugged and checked all connections again. When I tried to connect to the light via Bluetooth the message I got was an error trying to connect to the light. It wasn't the future software as I shut down and restarted the computer as well. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this issue.

I mean, how long can I go without lights? $3g for a fixture and I don't even make it 6 months? Really? I hope there's some way to reset it, but it's at least 24 hours until business opens and I'm fearing I'll have to buy another fixture as even if mine goes in for repair what am I supposed to do in the meantime?

I'm really bummed right now and searching for answers.

Goubli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2017, 06:07 AM   #977
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomnymods View Post
If you try the led t5 bulbs pls give us a reciew. I need more pop in my setup as well and wondering what combo of blue+ and actinic+ and led t5 would be required to pop those colors
I was talking to GCaroll last week and he said BRS has recently tested the EX5 t5-led bulbs...
He said they showed high par and did well.
I will try to find out more about them and post here. That would be our best option for sure

Unread 09/17/2017, 10:17 AM   #978
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomnymods View Post
If you try the led t5 bulbs pls give us a reciew. I need more pop in my setup as well and wondering what combo of blue+ and actinic+ and led t5 would be required to pop those colors
If I can find them I will. Almost nobody has the E5 bulbs and the E5X were supposed to be released months ago and still nothing. Kind of a shame if they can't even get them to market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
I was talking to GCaroll last week and he said BRS has recently tested the EX5 t5-led bulbs...
He said they showed high par and did well.
I will try to find out more about them and post here. That would be our best option for sure
That's good to hear that BRS has them. I hope they carry them soon because like I mentioned above, I can't find the E5X anywhere. A couple places have the E5 leftover but I'm not paying full retail for a discontinued bulb.

On their Facebook page they said Marine Depot was a bad business match. That doesn't sound promising to me since Marine Depot is huge and could have provided them a lot of sales. Not sure how that's a "bad" fit for business.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2017, 10:34 AM   #979
choss
Registered Member

I just got the tank in place and am now officially part of the Spectra club as the light is hung too. As you can see I went with a 24" Spectra on a 42" custom tank. This is no accident. I plan on keeping SPS on two islands near the center of the tank and then supplimenting with two Kessil's on goosenecks. I have a 360 WE that I will test but was thinking about the 160's. I apologize about the crappy picture

tank and Spectra by choerenz, on Flickr

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2017, 11:12 AM   #980
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
If I can find them I will. Almost nobody has the E5 bulbs and the E5X were supposed to be released months ago and still nothing. Kind of a shame if they can't even get them to market.
That's good to hear that BRS has them. I hope they carry them soon because like I mentioned above, I can't find the E5X anywhere. A couple places have the E5 leftover but I'm not paying full retail for a discontinued bulb.

On their Facebook page they said Marine Depot was a bad business match. That doesn't sound promising to me since Marine Depot is huge and could have provided them a lot of sales. Not sure how that's a "bad" fit for business.
I heard the E5X bulbs showed poorer spread compared to the older E5, since they arranged the leds without the frosted shield. Their main focus now was par, which I like better over the old model bulb. They do not sag as the led aluminum heatsinks hold the shape of the bulbs now

Unread 09/17/2017, 11:13 AM   #981
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss View Post
I just got the tank in place and am now officially part of the Spectra club as the light is hung too. As you can see I went with a 24" Spectra on a 42" custom tank. This is no accident. I plan on keeping SPS on two islands near the center of the tank and then supplimenting with two Kessil's on goosenecks. I have a 360 WE that I will test but was thinking about the 160's. I apologize about the crappy picture

tank and Spectra by choerenz, on Flickr
Nice set up! Like the stand! Care to show more details?

Unread 09/17/2017, 11:37 AM   #982
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
I heard the E5X bulbs showed poorer spread compared to the older E5, since they arranged the leds without the frosted shield. Their main focus now was par, which I like better over the old model bulb. They do not sag as the led aluminum heatsinks hold the shape of the bulbs now
That's what I've read as well.

I would gladly take the original E5s since at 24" they won't sag and it would be a good test for me/the community. However, I can't find them without paying full retail. Some places have the blue daylight bulbs for half off so I could try that at least. I really want the blue pop bulbs since I just want royal blue LEDs.

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
Unread 09/17/2017, 06:41 PM   #983
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Ok so I have the light up and running. Man did I miss the MH's. I figure here in Ny 8 months of the year are cold so the heat isnt an issue after all. For T5's I have two giesemann Super actinics and two ATI actinics. I would have gotten Blue+'s but the LFS didnt have any.

These T5 bulbs are temporary until I get the replacement led bulbs. Looking for 4 x E5X led bulbs when they come out. I figure if they are powerful enough I can keep them for dusk and dawn without the need to retrofit kessils or other leds.

There is no way I would add Reefbrites ruining the lool of this fixture...it looks way too cool by itself.

Im running the radiums only 3 hrs to start, so the sps can catch on. T5's for 7 hrs.
Ill increase the Mh's as time goes. My tank was doing awesome until I switched to Triton's Core 7. Alk climbed a big high and acros have burned tips.

Unread 09/17/2017, 06:54 PM   #984
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Let's see some pics!

Unread 09/19/2017, 03:30 PM   #985
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Let's see some pics!
Lol. My tank isn't doing good at all. I'm moving soon to a new house so I'm not too worried, as the new tank will be my big project. I switched from bionic to Triton's core 7 and the corals did not like something, I'm not sure. Alk is around 8.0 but I'm done using it.

My new tank will have regular three part dosing, algae scrubber (no more carbon dosing either) MH's and water changes with a good salt. That is what worked for me and what ill stick with next!

photo 20170831_221516_zpssybsxrah.jpg

photo 20170831_221534_zpsjqeopnsi.jpg

Beautiful light!

photo 20170917_183705_zpsj4d2g8jh.jpg

Last edited by ReefCowboy; 09/19/2017 at 03:36 PM.
ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 04:48 PM   #986
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Yeah that looks terrible. Tear it down and send me some of those ugly corals....

I like the "back to basics" approach as well. I personally feel water changes are mandatory for long term success and try to do weekly changes myself.

My current tank has strong light, strong flow, good bio filtration and a good skimmer. It has been too effective actually and stripped all nitrates so I'm dosing potassium nitrate now to balance out my N and P.

I love the set it and forget it with my Giesemann Spectra

Unread 09/20/2017, 05:31 AM   #987
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice set up! Like the stand! Care to show more details?
ReefCowboy, I do have a build thread here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2643140

The stand has cabinets to hold a sump and electrical. One is still being worked on but I can post a picture of all three pieces this weekend. The stand is made from 1.5" Walnut on #7 Gator steel tubing. Super solid. The tank is a ReefSavvy that I just received so the build is starting to progress. I'm looking forward to firing up the Spectra to see how it covers the tank.

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Unread 09/20/2017, 05:34 AM   #988
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Lol. My tank isn't doing good at all. I'm moving soon to a new house so I'm not too worried, as the new tank will be my big project. I switched from bionic to Triton's core 7 and the corals did not like something, I'm not sure. Alk is around 8.0 but I'm done using it.

My new tank will have regular three part dosing, algae scrubber (no more carbon dosing either) MH's and water changes with a good salt. That is what worked for me and what ill stick with next!

photo 20170831_221516_zpssybsxrah.jpg

photo 20170831_221534_zpsjqeopnsi.jpg

Beautiful light!

photo 20170917_183705_zpsj4d2g8jh.jpg
Wow - ReefCowboy I am loving your tank. I can only hope mine achieves a fraction of your success!

Unread 09/20/2017, 10:07 AM   #989
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah that looks terrible. Tear it down and send me some of those ugly corals....

I like the "back to basics" approach as well. I personally feel water changes are mandatory for long term success and try to do weekly changes myself.

My current tank has strong light, strong flow, good bio filtration and a good skimmer. It has been too effective actually and stripped all nitrates so I'm dosing potassium nitrate now to balance out my N and P.

I love the set it and forget it with my Giesemann Spectra
Agreed, never seen issues with the old water changes, basic approach. You covered all I am looking forward to as well and knowing Mhs are an almost guarantee success when params are in check. It puts me at ease

Heard from Euroquatics today, the E5X's are finally in production, hitting the market in about 4 weeks!

Unread 09/20/2017, 10:10 AM   #990
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss View Post
Wow - ReefCowboy I am loving your tank. I can only hope mine achieves a fraction of your success!
Thank you for the complement! Would like to learn about your tank development.
Keep posing pics!

Unread 09/20/2017, 12:41 PM   #991
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Agreed, never seen issues with the old water changes, basic approach. You covered all I am looking forward to as well and knowing Mhs are an almost guarantee success when params are in check. It puts me at ease

Heard from Euroquatics today, the E5X's are finally in production, hitting the market in about 4 weeks!
Is BRS going to carry them? Do you know?

Unread 09/21/2017, 07:59 AM   #992
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you for the complement! Would like to learn about your tank development.
Keep posing pics!
I will post some pics this weekend. Its always hard to get excited in the beginning when the tank is not wet yet but my frag tank is now wet and maybe I can share a few pics from there. I plan on documenting the growth of these frags under the Spectra.

Unread 09/21/2017, 08:13 AM   #993
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Is BRS going to carry them? Do you know?
I dont have that info Ryan, although I feel that if they tested it and had a good review, most likely woukd do so. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Did anyone see Ushio also coming out now with retrofitted T8 and T5 led bulbs?
The T8 is a bit of a waste IMO as T5's are way more common, but its great to see companies investing in new tech for older style fixtures.

Unread 09/21/2017, 08:17 AM   #994
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
I dont have that info Ryan, although I feel that if they tested it and had a good review, most likely woukd do so. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Did anyone see Ushio also coming out now with retrofitted T8 and T5 led bulbs?
The T8 is a bit of a waste IMO as T5's are way more common, but its great to see companies investing in new tech for older style fixtures.
Thanks Cowboy! I hope BRS carries them since that will mean good customer service and usually good stock.

As to Ushio, I didn't see that. I'll Google it though and check it out. I would bet they went with T8 for FW use. Also business and shop lights are still on T8 so maybe they are hoping to tap into those markets too? The aquarium industry alone won't keep them in business IMO.

Multiple manufacturers is good for us. It will create competition and innovation.

Unread 09/21/2017, 06:55 PM   #995
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Yes,, BRS would be awesome carrying the E5X's. These guys are helping the industry a lot IMO while keeping excellent inventory.
The new Ushio led bulbs can be seen at Jake Adams reefing blog

Unread 09/21/2017, 07:31 PM   #996
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Yes,, BRS would be awesome carrying the E5X's. These guys are helping the industry a lot IMO while keeping excellent inventory.
The new Ushio led bulbs can be seen at Jake Adams reefing blog
Looks like Ushio's offerings don't do much for any of us right now sadly. Could be huge though if they step up their game. There has to be a large market for these types of bulbs. Lots of T5s still out there

Unread 09/22/2017, 12:05 AM   #997
VJV
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok so I have the light up and running. Man did I miss the MH's. I figure here in Ny 8 months of the year are cold so the heat isnt an issue after all. For T5's I have two giesemann Super actinics and two ATI actinics. I would have gotten Blue+'s but the LFS didnt have any.

These T5 bulbs are temporary until I get the replacement led bulbs. Looking for 4 x E5X led bulbs when they come out. I figure if they are powerful enough I can keep them for dusk and dawn without the need to retrofit kessils or other leds.

There is no way I would add Reefbrites ruining the lool of this fixture...it looks way too cool by itself.

Im running the radiums only 3 hrs to start, so the sps can catch on. T5's for 7 hrs.
Ill increase the Mh's as time goes. My tank was doing awesome until I switched to Triton's Core 7. Alk climbed a big high and acros have burned tips.

A word of caution: I tried to run the original E5s in my Giesemann Matrix ii 8x80 dimmtec and they would only last a couple of weeks before they would die. The distributor sent me a replacement and the same thing happened. Than the ballast of the channel that was running them also died. Giesemann promptly sent me a new one but advised me against running the E5s on their unit. My !atrix was 6 months old at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 12:13 AM   #998
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJV View Post
A word of caution: I tried to run the original E5s in my Giesemann Matrix ii 8x80 dimmtec and they would only last a couple of weeks before they would die. The distributor sent me a replacement and the same thing happened. Than the ballast of the channel that was running them also died. Giesemann promptly sent me a new one but advised me against running the E5s on their unit. My !atrix was 6 months old at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Was it a dimmable fixture?

Unread 09/22/2017, 01:41 AM   #999
VJV
Registered Member

Yes, "Dimtec" are the dimmable units. It is true that in non dimmable units this should not be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 06:53 AM   #1000
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJV View Post
Yes, "Dimtec" are the dimmable units. It is true that in non dimmable units this should not be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is what I'm wondering. I'm betting the LED bulbs aren't meant to be run on dimmable ballasts. If that's the case, Spectra users should not have any problems.