Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/29/2017, 05:18 PM   #9476
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Sharp View Post
Yes, I used Teflon tape on the threaded cap that is at the top of the tee. There is no air line on the full siphon, right? No water leaks....so can't imagine where the bubbles are coming from out the other end of the full siphon line? Could something in the open channel drain be causing bubbles in the full siphon drain line...even though they are not "connected" at all? Should the drilled holes at the end of the full siphon pipe in the sump be above or below the water surface level?

I also have bubbles coming out of the open channel line...but I guess that's expected as that does have the air line attached to the cap?

When I got up this morning, the water level in the overflow box was going up & down again....with lots of gurgling noise. So, I guess I do need to solve this problem.

Thanks again
yes air line on open channel. sorry for the confusion i typed that up wrong. If water is pulsing in you're box, it sounds like you haven't dialed it in yet which will let air in. Close your siphon gate valve till water is above gour siphons top and stabilizes

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Clowning_Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2017, 06:54 AM   #9477
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRoofTang View Post
It's YOUR opinion of determining what HIS basic principles are. I don't care if you call it a donkey. I really don't care. Please quit embarrassing yourself. Please, go argue with somebody else.
Actually, Jim's comments were not opinion and were factual based on my published overflow, it's operational principle and the design goals that encompass it.

I am glad that you are happy with your setup. That said, several folks have pointed out its pros and cons and how it differs from my published design. This thread is dedicated to helping folks implement the published design, not "herbie" setups (there is a thread somewhere for that). So please, go argue somewhere else.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2017, 07:10 AM   #9478
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
The siphon is only in the area ABOVE the valve. You will sometimes just have some air in the line below it because there is air in there. Drilling a hole above water level will just allow it to get more air in there, not let it out.
umm... no. Not even close.

I am going to skip the entire physics lesson and cut to the chase. On startup there is air trapped (in the siphon standpipe) between the standpipe opening and submerged exit. This air is under pressure as the water in the overflow box rises and begins to fill and spillover the inside of the standpipe. Depending on flow rate, the air may be fully expelled or allowing the siphon to start or it may pose enough back pressure to prevent flow. This is why we only submerge the standpipes 1/2" or so and not 3". The deeper it is submerged the more pressure it will take to clear.

Drilling a hole just above the stable operating level will allow the air to be expelled (under pressure) as the sump level drops and exposes it during startup.

Quote:
This is one reason people usually run the pipes down INTO their sump water, because it makes sure no air can get UP inside the siphon tube.
not really...

The pipes are submerged to prevent splashing and the associated noise, air entrainment (bubbles) and salt creep.

Unread 09/01/2017, 06:57 PM   #9479
BlueRoofTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post
Actually, Jim's comments were not opinion and were factual based on my published overflow, it's operational principle and the design goals that encompass it.

I am glad that you are happy with your setup. That said, several folks have pointed out its pros and cons and how it differs from my published design. This thread is dedicated to helping folks implement the published design, not "herbie" setups (there is a thread somewhere for that). So please, go argue somewhere else.
Maybe you forgot what YOUR original post in this thread was. I will attach a reminder.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (70.2 KB, 36 views)
BlueRoofTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 06:42 AM   #9480
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe you forgot what YOUR original post in this thread was. I will attach a reminder.
Here is what you attempted to attach from the first post of this thread.
Quote:
The design criteria:

1) Dead Silent
2) Set and Forget
3) Limit Bubbles in Sump
4) Failsafe to Prevent Floods
5) Easy to Clean if Needed

Sir, It would appear that you are either struggling with context or willfully ignoring it in favor of being combative. This thread (again) is devoted to discussion of how and why I chose those design criteria and how I addressed them. In fact if you visit my site, you will see an expanded set of criteria and more explanation.

I have not forgotten what I said in that first post or repeatedly over the course of this thread. Nobody said that there are not other ways to meet those criteria. This has been pointed this out to you so, please stop, it is annoying and disruptive.

In your own words:
Quote:
Please quit embarrassing yourself. Please, go argue with somebody else.

Last edited by BeanAnimal; 09/02/2017 at 06:49 AM.
Unread 09/02/2017, 05:19 PM   #9481
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Please help me with a solution to my noise issue in my adaptation of this concept. So im fairly certain I know what the cause and solution is, Im just hoping it ain't so. I'm hoping for any bright ideas .

So here it goes, in my installation I utilized an external rear overflow box. I calculated my plumbing height and drilled holes on the basis of keeping my plumbing below the top of my DT, this pushed my boxes bottom a bit low. In hind sight I should have made the box wider and just had all the pipes enter from underneath but Im past that now (Or so I hope). Anyway in addition to my box being low my water enters by three holes which is creating a falling water effect, gross oversight on my part. It's about a 2in drop. Due to the amount of flow, about 600gph after headloss, the volume coming thru my holes while capable of much more is still a considerable amount to cause this noise. My first idea was to close my siphon valve more in an effort to raise the oveflow boxes internal waterlevel, I had little faith understanding the mechanics of the design, and as suspected it did not help whatso ever even after completely closing the valve. The open channel albiet creating its own noise, easily maintained the full capacity (failsafe no1). I didn't test closing the ball valve on my open channel to allow the emergency to kick in because I wouldn't be comfortable with that as a lomg term fix for obvious reasons. So my next big idea which I had high hopes for also had no impact whatsoever. That being to introduce a diagnol shelf so to speak within the box to allow the water to gently flow down to the waterlevel thereby mitigating the sound. I created a piece of acrylic to do so (pic below). Now I'm thinking its noise at the holes themselves as water rushes thru sorta like teeth on a weir in addition too the falling water. If that's the case, I'm afraid the only solution is to create a larger opening by either more holes or cutting horizontally between the the tangents of my holes at both the top and bottom to make one large slot, drilling between or oversizing the current holes would not leave much glass between.

Please help, I just got this sytem converted and put back together after a lot of research and planning but obviously not enough. I'm open to ideas and really don't want to go back to square one so to speak.

I have more pics in my build thread linked in my sig. Let me know if you need any more info or pics.

Thanks in advance!

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Unread 09/02/2017, 05:23 PM   #9482
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

I forgot to mention I had thought also about using a bulkhead or uniseal to install a small pipe/ elbow on the holes. That is, to force the water to enter the box below the waterline. However, given my weir I dont have room for a uniseal or bulkhead g - flange conflict. My holes are right at my weirs bottom edge

By the way despite my issue, thankyou Bean so much for your efforts and sharing your knowledge. The piped portion of my system itself works as I had hoped after all the research.

Unread 09/03/2017, 08:56 AM   #9483
Ted_C
Registered Member

the waterfall noise is probably coming from the internal overflow along with the external overflow. your only choice is to raise the water level in the external box by whatever means you have available to you - which raises the water level in your internal box too. That's a cascading effect - if you close the siphon you create more noise in your open channel. So then you have to raise your open channel and re-adjust the siphon.

I highly suggest you re-think your design. That external box is only held on via silicone? While it works, it wouldn't give me great piece of mind that it would last forever. Is that external box acrylic attached to glass?

I would suggest an external box that's held onto the tank with bulkhead connections and double gaskets to prevent leakage.

Unread 09/03/2017, 12:41 PM   #9484
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_C View Post
the waterfall noise is probably coming from the internal overflow along with the external overflow. your only choice is to raise the water level in the external box by whatever means you have available to you - which raises the water level in your internal box too. That's a cascading effect - if you close the siphon you create more noise in your open channel. So then you have to raise your open channel and re-adjust the siphon.

I highly suggest you re-think your design. That external box is only held on via silicone? While it works, it wouldn't give me great piece of mind that it would last forever. Is that external box acrylic attached to glass?

I would suggest an external box that's held onto the tank with bulkhead connections and double gaskets to prevent leakage.
Thanks for taking your time to reply. I'm attaching a few additional pics of when I was building this setup to better help explain visually of what I have overflow wise. When I get an opportunity I'll follow up with another photo of the current weir internal water flow.

I dont think the noise is comming from my internal box. I can definitely tell its quiter on the one side of the tank furthest from my external box. If I lean my ear over the various areas around the back of my tank, it is loudest over my external box and above my DT rear panel holes.

Raising the level in my ext. overflow would not raise the level in my weirbox, It would enter my emergency pipe before it reached my weirs waterlevel. I would like to do this but running out of ideas aside from a major redo hence my post.

As for the rear box, yes it is attached via silicone only and is all glass. I have no reservations about it. Its as strong as, actually stronger than larger 10g tanks I have purchased. I do not want an externally attached bulkhead style box, and less not forget there would still be seams, just not at my DT wall. In the current config, they reinf each other, which I prefer.

My biggest suspicion is that it's moreso my opening size than the water falling itself.

Unread 09/03/2017, 12:52 PM   #9485
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Here's a few more pics of the weir in action. I'm thinking based on the Volume being pulled down by gravity and observing the higher amounts on the ends trying to escape down quicker (not level water) that its wanting more opening in my DT wall... see how the wayer onside thr weir beyond is at a higher elevation still, cant drain quick enough?

Unread 09/03/2017, 02:33 PM   #9486
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Left hole - emergency. Use an upturns elbow and vertical,pipe to get it to the desired height.

Middle hole - open channel. Set the height as needed with vertical pipe and 2 elbows to form a u tube.

Right hole - siphon. Down turned elbow. This should allow you to adjust the water level in the box.

Worst case you could upturn the siphon elbow and add a vertical pipe and the another u suction.

That or simply rebuild the box, now that you know where the problem is.

Unread 09/03/2017, 09:00 PM   #9487
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post
Left hole - emergency. Use an upturns elbow and vertical,pipe to get it to the desired height.

Middle hole - open channel. Set the height as needed with vertical pipe and 2 elbows to form a u tube.

Right hole - siphon. Down turned elbow. This should allow you to adjust the water level in the box.

Worst case you could upturn the siphon elbow and add a vertical pipe and the another u suction.

That or simply rebuild the box, now that you know where the problem is.
Thanks for the reply.

Ok so I'm trying to follow the references as to which is which, meaning orientation.

In my post #949, first picture the top are you calling that left or right? I suppose it doesn't matter much since it would be repurposing the lines. In the current config, the bottom most elbow in the photo is my full siphon (sits at about 3/8in gap between its inlet and bottom of box), the center sticking up with holes my emergency and the topmost downturn elbow my open channel ( sits at about 5/8 in gap between its inlet and bottom of box).

Back to your suggestion, I think I follow but I have a question. If I raise the open channel via a vertical + dbl elbow in a u fashion does that dictate the water level or will my lower siphon's down turn elbow still have some factor on it? Im guessing not and that it is the open channels top of u, correct?

Second thing, any thought regarding my three DT holes pictured? Meaning, do you think I need to do anything to them or is your thinking its all a matter of the overflow box water level?

Unread 09/04/2017, 12:29 PM   #9488
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Most of your noise is likely due to the waterfall from the three holes. Raising the water in the overflow box will help. For the most part, the height of the open channel will dictate the water level.

Unread 09/04/2017, 02:30 PM   #9489
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

! Update ....

I did a rather simple test this morning after having thought more on tbe mechanics. First I dialed my siphons gate valve fully open. Next I fully closed my open channels ball valve. As presumed after thinking about the dynamics at play the water in my overflow began to rise. I then dialed the gate on the siphon clised a little causing rhe wateer to rise even faster until emergency started to kick in. Then i slightly openend the open channels ball valve to lower the water insise the box again but only enough such that the level was at the bottom of my DT holes. I played with it for a few turns not getting it perfect but enough to let it run tbat way foe a few minutes ro observe and listen or shpuld I say lack there of - silence atlast. This confirmed my holes at the DT are fine as is, its all just a mater of water level in my overflowbox. Meaning, that if I raise the water level within then the problem should be resolved. Based on closing my open channel and allowing my emergency to serve as the open, temporarily confirmed that I dont need to change my siphon plumbing. I believe based on this, that raising my open channels topmost portion is the way to go/ dictates the water level....

So if that assumption is correct I can provide the elevated U as proposed but still keep my inlet near the bottom of the box to keep livestock from entering.

Unread 09/05/2017, 07:00 AM   #9490
Ted_C
Registered Member

why dont you just screen in your internal box? Avoid cerith snails and the below works like a charm.

Last edited by Ted_C; 09/28/2017 at 06:18 AM.
Ted_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 02:10 PM   #9491
jphayes921
Registered Member

What kind of screen and where did you get it?

jphayes921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 03:15 PM   #9492
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

That's Gutter Guard from Menards. Frost King.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Kin...X620/202518614

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4444948585.htm

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 01:35 PM   #9493
paphater
Registered Member

How critical is it to have the U bends? In my overflow box I can only fit a single 90 degree elbow on the full siphon and secondary drain.

paphater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 01:56 PM   #9494
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphater View Post
How critical is it to have the U bends? In my overflow box I can only fit a single 90 degree elbow on the full siphon and secondary drain.
If the 90 is downfacing, like bulkhead on the side, no problem, if horz facing like bulkhead underneath, your probably going to such air not attain a full siphon and gave lots of noise. So it depends on your configuration.

Unread 09/07/2017, 05:57 PM   #9495
Lsufan
Registered Member

Clowning around, I have a setup very similar to yours. I find that the pass through holes need to be about half way submerged to be silent. The amount of flow will somewhat dictate this & I do have close to 1000 gph going through my pass through holes. I have all my holes drilled in the bottom of the box , so my open channel has a sanitary tee with a street 90 installed into the tee. The bottom of the inlet on the tee where the 90 slips into the tee is set just below halfway on the pass through bulkheads. That way only a small amount of water drains through the open channel & the water level in the box is halfway up on the pass through holes.

How bean said to have your drains setup with the open channel in the middle hole really does make the most sense. By doing it that way the holes in the side of the box only need to have a 90. The syphon would have a 90 facing down & the emergency facing up with a short piece of pvc in the 90 to set the height. So the open channel would be the only drain that would need to have a u tube.

Last edited by Lsufan; 09/07/2017 at 06:07 PM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 09:03 PM   #9496
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Thanks all. When I find another window of time I will give it a work over but the mrs says I need to catch up on some other projects first. So for the interim, I just have to live with it until I can get to it. Unfortunately everything is glued, so this should be a fun little challenge...

Unread 09/21/2017, 07:52 AM   #9497
Bracka345
Registered Member

Hello all, i'm in the process of plumbing my tank with the synergy reef overflow. Is there a limit to the amount of 90's or 45's i should be using on the drain lines? Thanks!!!

Bracka345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 04:11 PM   #9498
naimasreef
Registered Member

incredible thread.

naimasreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 10:25 AM   #9499
erik2302
Registered Member

dual siphon

Question: I'm trying to feed a waterfall scrubber off my drain lines, currently I have a standard bean animal on 1.5" pipe. I would like to lower the open channel and create a second siphon line also controlled by a gate valve feeding the ATS (it will have an overflow elbow so if the slot gets clogged, water will still flow at the rate set by the gate valve).

Essentially, will this system work with two gate valve controlled siphon lines and one emergency dry pipe? or should I convert the dry pipe to the open channel to accept fluctuations? Open to any advice, thanks.

erik2302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 04:31 PM   #9500
Lsufan
Registered Member

Well, it wouldn't be a bean animal drain if u did this & there is to many variables to say if it will work or not. I think u would have issues trying to tune 2 seperate syphons in the same overflow box. If u do decide to give it a try I would definitely keep the emergency dry. If u run a trickle through it it has a chance to get clogged & the chances of a flood go up dramatically. Personally, I would feed it from my return pump. That way u still have a beananimal drain so u have all the redundancies that come along with it. U wouldn't have to be constantly messing with your valves eighther. I just think it will be hard to keep everything stable with two syphons in the same overflow, especially with no open channel. U will also have more control of the amount of flow feeding the scrubber if u feed it from the return or a small individual pump if your return pump isn't big enough.

If u are set on feeding it with a drain then I would keep the drains setup with a beananimal & feed it from the syphon. U won't have much control of the flow through the scrubber this way but u would still have the best drain setup as possible.

Last edited by Lsufan; 09/28/2017 at 09:27 PM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beananimal, plumbing