Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2015, 03:59 PM   #101
sam.basye
Registered Member

I hear ya, I wasn't planning on setting up the tank until later in that week, but being lazy kinda decided it for me. I set up the 5gal when I came back and didn't want to set it all up again after taking it apart looking for the dottyback... anyways. All is well and happy.

I sure hope reading your Caribbean (cyano) biotope thread didn't give me cyano! haha ; )
I probably overfeed slightly... I realized this even more when I watched a 2mm shrimp pellet turn into a shotgun shell after floating into the mp10. Pellet everywhere! lol
Target feeding Snappy and all the crabs will be less frequent and more difficult now with more depth.

My purple stylo is now a peach stylo. lol we'll see if it turns back before I find a better fixture.
The tube coral might have to go back to the sand bed- not as much light gets to the back shelf its on now..

Time for Pics!

crab on mp10

nice coloration going on

close-up of pinkish stuff

gsp's and baby hammer

anemone things

torch- not as inflated as yesterday, zoas, starfish

peach stylo, tube coral, starfish #2

green digi's, monti spongodes

fts

fts w/ blues only

sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 04:30 PM   #102
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Gorgeous!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2015, 05:26 PM   #103
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Yes it is! Did you ever find your Dottyback? I hate it when fish disappear.

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Lavoisier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2015, 06:35 PM   #104
sam.basye
Registered Member

Never to be seen again...

I don't get how they can just 'disappear'

Unread 01/22/2015, 07:28 PM   #105
Saltydrip
Registered Member

Might be in the car from the ride home...

The tank looks great!! I'm yet to move anything else into the 29G now that I'm hard at work on the stand for my cube. I'm thinking I'm going to utilize some of the foam tricks I learned here on making a really cool pillar up the middle of the cube. Small core with branch like shelves.

Unread 01/22/2015, 07:35 PM   #106
Saltydrip
Registered Member

This is exactly what I want to build..

Unread 01/22/2015, 11:10 PM   #107
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydrip View Post
Might be in the car from the ride home...

The tank looks great!! I'm yet to move anything else into the 29G now that I'm hard at work on the stand for my cube. I'm thinking I'm going to utilize some of the foam tricks I learned here on making a really cool pillar up the middle of the cube. Small core with branch like shelves.
Haha, it survived the bucket ride back and was set up in the 5gal with everyone else. I know it was in there! lol after that is a blur

That would be sweet! Just add a little foam filler to cover the pvc.

Unread 01/27/2015, 09:00 PM   #108
sam.basye
Registered Member

A little update:

Bought two scarlet hermits and a pretty teal/orange one yesterday. Almost bought a half dead/dying coral thing. Didn't know what it was, but it was $5! I used self control and left it to die at the lfs. lol Probably would've just died in my tank and been out $5.

The diatoms are getting worse - oh joy.

Was just informed that it is turning into a crab tank. haha The fiancee wants fish!
We'll see...

Unread 01/27/2015, 09:34 PM   #109
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nice job, resisting the dying thing. Looking good!

Unread 01/27/2015, 09:54 PM   #110
sam.basye
Registered Member

Haha, thanks. I rationalized that it the pet store can't keep it alive, it will be dead 5x faster in my tank. Lol there's lots of things I want every time I go. Luckily, I'm too cheap to buy any of it.. Otherwise I'd leave my wallet when I left! That and there's less risk involved if it were to die. I don't kick myself as much if it is cheap.

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
Unread 01/28/2015, 08:19 AM   #111
Saltydrip
Registered Member

I have diatoms like crazy too.. Probably time to add some snails...

Unread 01/29/2015, 07:28 PM   #112
sam.basye
Registered Member

That's right! I think I'm gonna look into some snails as well. That crabs are helping though.

Unread 01/29/2015, 10:12 PM   #113
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hermit crabs and snails don't play well together. Maybe choose one or the other. I chose snails because of their more specific eating habits. Hermit crabs are omnivores.

Unread 01/29/2015, 10:44 PM   #114
sam.basye
Registered Member

Yeah, from what I've experienced, the only good all around hermit crab is the Scarlet. They are happy as a crab and don't generally attack anything but algae. I'm going to look into getting another conch for the sand bed. I wish I still had the one the horse conchs killed :/

Going to experiment with an astrea and nasarius for glass algae and sand bed gunk control and see if they end up someone's dinner.

Hmmm. Snails don't qualify as a mollusk/bi-valve alternative do they? If so, the stars might eat them.. I think I got the little one to eat a pellet tonight. They aren't the most active, but seem to like the wall, like the hermits. I mean, what's not to like about it!? Lol

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
Unread 01/30/2015, 11:13 AM   #115
Saltydrip
Registered Member

The Stars might get ahold of a snail from time to time but you should be safe. I would just get an assortment of different sized snails. Make sure you get some little guys to keep the crevasses clean. I'm not putting any hermits in this tank.. They eat feather dusters and I would like to fave a few this some around

Unread 02/07/2015, 08:36 PM   #116
sam.basye
Registered Member

Well, haven't bothered to get any snails yet.. Maybe tomorrow. I've got $5 of Petco reward points burning a hole in my pocket. Lol

This past weekend I left the tank for the weekend and came back to see a blurry green/brown jungle! The power apparently went out - I only know because the appliance clocks were flashing. So the lights turned back on for whatever reason.. They were off to keep algae from growing while I was away. Soo, I have completed a 5 day blackout and removed all the algae I could get to. I then did a 5gal water change and forgot to add salt... I figured it out the next night after tying to to figure out why the hermits all looked lifeless and then it dawned on me.. I forgot the salt!!! All is well now though.

I bought a new light!
I got a steal of a deal on the knockoff of the reef breeders photon 16. - the cheapa$$ scored again! - its a new evergrow it2040 which is basically the same thing as the photon just a different full spectrum color pattern. It has all the bells and whistles a fool could want like the necessary lightning function! - actually I don't even know if it has that useless function or not.. Lol all the non-aquarist think it's cool though.

I bought some three sided aluminum tubing to build a hanger for it and will post pics of the build.
My next dilemma is that I now need a new top for the bigger light. I will either need a glass top and a new hob skimmer, or make an egg crate/plexi top.

Let me know what you think or if there's any suggestions!

Foam Wall
Unread 02/07/2015, 09:48 PM   #117
banthonyb71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.basye View Post
Great read, thanks!
Too bad I like my hermits lol
Guess they'll be the exception to his rule
I think this guy is a little over kill if you ask me. I've never had to wait 11 months to add my first fish to my tank. and Ive never had a issue with my shrimp or my scarlet crabs eating anything my system cant handle..

Last edited by banthonyb71; 02/07/2015 at 09:58 PM.
banthonyb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2015, 07:57 AM   #118
Saltydrip
Registered Member

I've always had hermits. I'm just a fan of feather dusters and want to try some in the display. The hermits I have now will end up in my fuge.

Unread 02/09/2015, 06:07 PM   #119
sam.basye
Registered Member

banthony, Yeah I definitely see your point. It would take a lot of will power (and lack of interest for me if) I were to go 11 months watching "grass grow" or "water boil". It would be cool to know exactly the number of critters to keep everything in check.

salty, I find myself looking at "novelty hermits" because of their coloration. haha They end up as ornaments to my tank rather than tax paying contributors - kind of like welfare. lol

Soo, I have decided what direction the tank is moving - as far as the light goes...

The list things I am going to get rid of/sell:

The oem plastic hood w/ light cover
-new LED fixture

The Orbit Led fixture
-not enough light output

The hob filter
-unnecessary, increases evap., MP10 creates enough flow, the intake tube may not fit with new glass top, kind of loud, hard to access heater below it, limits amount of light to fuge, shoots bubbles into display

The Aquaticlife 115 skimmer
-water level has to be perfect or it will dump too much water in the cup or none at all, sticks out too far

The Mangrove 'cannon' light
-output isn't as good as I planned, very little to no growth

The fuge light
-will not be needed

The things I am going to buy/already purchased:

Evergrow IT2040 LED
-more light for happy corals

Glass versa-top
-for light transmission of bigger LED fixture

Hob skimmer
-current skimmer will not fit with new glass top

With the new setup, the light will spread over the entire tank and behind the wall into the 'fuge'
The mangrove will be relocated to where the skimmer is now in the center behind the wall where it will get way more light.

The hanger for the new LED fixture is coming along, bracing it will be the hard part due to my design. We'll see..

Unread 02/09/2015, 11:45 PM   #120
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sounds great Sam!

Unread 02/11/2015, 05:22 PM   #121
sam.basye
Registered Member

Woohoo! new light!!

It came yesterday afternoon and I already finished the aluminum hanger last night!
Worked all afternoon on it and all that is left is to spray it black.

I came to realize that it would be bigger than I thought, and was I right. The fans are super quiet and is Very bright at 100%. Currently, 50% is plenty.

I was having doubts that the plans for the hanger would support a 10lb light, but it is so far and is relatively sturdy. May make an addition brace at some point.

I removed the hob filter, skimmer, and mangrove light and readjusted the thermometer that was too much of a pita to get to before. Increased the flow of the mp10 and everything seems happy.

I have taken pics of each coral to document any increase in growth.

All work was done by either measuring or eyeballin' it using a dremel to make each cut.

Here are some pics!

screwed into wooden brace

clamps for support leg (used jb weld)

scratches are on the plastic film before tearing off

Unread 02/11/2015, 05:23 PM   #122
sam.basye
Registered Member

cut the hanging wires that it came with and used the nuts the secure brackets

Almost finished!

Comments, questions, and concerns welcome.

Unread 02/12/2015, 01:40 AM   #123
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Pretty sweet! Looking at the last photo, maybe run the light cord along the backside (or inside?) of your aluminum bracket to hide it and add to your super clean look.

Jealous!

Unread 02/12/2015, 11:20 AM   #124
sam.basye
Registered Member

Thanks! I actually already routed the power cord where you suggested last night. (in the tubing) I'll have to post new pics once I paint it all and put it back up!

Foam Wall
Unread 02/12/2015, 06:16 PM   #125
Saltydrip
Registered Member

That looks pretty sweet