Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/14/2017, 10:57 AM   #401
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Stace,

Is that just a "normal" flipper that you modified?

Corey

Pretty incredible the difference, isn't it? (If you watched all of the videos)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 11:23 AM   #402
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Taking the card cleaning method to a new level

Every 4 “cards” honey we have to go on vacation my tank needs a scraping

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 12:06 PM   #403
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
Taking the card cleaning method to a new level

Every 4 “cards” honey we have to go on vacation my tank needs a scraping

Hahah! Exactly. Or your wife finds hotel key cards in your wallet "explain yourself, what are these"

"they're to clean the tank with"

"Riiiiight. That darn tank always gets pulled into our arguments somehow. Good excuse"

Haha!

Unread 09/14/2017, 12:07 PM   #404
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Lol

Unread 09/14/2017, 06:16 PM   #405
biecacka
Registered Member

I sure did watch the videos. Time to do some ordering I think

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 07:09 AM   #406
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:

Corey

For sure! Again, it wears out relatively quickly on the tougher coralline and harder algae. It's worth it once it's all gone, sometimes it feels like "I literally just out the new one on". But it's worth it once it's gone! Easy to maintain, not requiring new blades so often.

Unread 09/15/2017, 12:04 PM   #407
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

So much for having the AWC up and running. Was in the fish room while it was running yesterday and the new saltwater pump (DOS) was skipping, like it wasn't getting any water. Checked the intake for it and it looks fine. When you manually make the pumps go (much slower than when doing the 6 gallons) it works fine.

Looks like I know what I'm working on this weekend!

Unread 09/19/2017, 05:14 PM   #408
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
So much for having the AWC up and running. Was in the fish room while it was running yesterday and the new saltwater pump (DOS) was skipping, like it wasn't getting any water. Checked the intake for it and it looks fine. When you manually make the pumps go (much slower than when doing the 6 gallons) it works fine.

Looks like I know what I'm working on this weekend!

Didn't get to the AWC this weekend. Jeremy and I came down with a nasty bug of the stomach flu that laid us up for the past 2 days. I'm traveling for work today through Sunday, looks like AWC is turned off until we figure out what's going on with the pump that's "skipping".

Unread 09/21/2017, 08:14 AM   #409
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

Quote:

Corey
me too! I got the tunze scraper last winter and the blades for acrylic are expensive and wear out so fast. and the performance was so so. When I used my larger aquarium magnet on the outside it improved. worked alot like her flipper!

Unread 09/26/2017, 07:42 AM   #410
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Music View Post
me too! I got the tunze scraper last winter and the blades for acrylic are expensive and wear out so fast. and the performance was so so. When I used my larger aquarium magnet on the outside it improved. worked alot like her flipper!

Yes! We have the Tunze scraper as well and it worked alright the first few weeks. Now it barely touches anything it's so worn down. The other major downside for me is the non floating. We have a hex front, the Tunze doesn't like that too much and fell off often even though it's rated for our thickness.

Unread 09/26/2017, 07:48 AM   #411
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Have a buddy whose Dr said it's time to let go of the tank due to an infection he got from the tank. We bought his fish from him, and grabbed a few more to put through QT together. We haven't added fish in a very long time, so exciting to be adding!

Currently in QT:
Desjardini sailfin tang (her colors are fantastic, nothing like I've ever seen before)
Blue hippo tang
Tomini tang
Yellow tang
Leopard wrasse (male) (have sand for him in a Pyrex and he's doing good! First day I wasn't so confident)
Flameback angel
Pair of clowns (they are a designer, forgot which type)

Surprisingly everyone is getting along great and doing well. Everyone's eating like pigs and loving nori.

AWC is up and running again. Unsure of what the problem was, hoping it was a fluke, watching it closely.

This pretty much sums up our fish list besides a few that are left, nice to see it coming together. Once these guys are out of QT (will be awhile yet) I'll be ordering another SPS frag pack. We had about 70% of the last frag pack survive and thriving. I think I've improved since then, hopefully will have a greater success and be able to add even more colors to the tank!

We are leaning strongly to the Neptune ATK for water changes. Likely pulling the trigger on that this week along with heated upgrades to the Cobalt's for our QT and mixing tank. I like the idea of no glass, and they seem to be very reliable.

Unread 10/01/2017, 05:14 PM   #412
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Picked up the ATK, the "tasks" to set it up aren't working correctly even though we have the latest apex software. It's doubling up the tasks and asking the same question over and over. Calling apex tomorrow to see how to get it fixed. We got 2 additional eyes for it, excited to get it going. AWC is working wonderfully with the DOS, couldn't be better now that it's not skipping like it was.

Last edited by MrsReefK; 10/02/2017 at 07:50 AM.
Unread 10/02/2017, 07:51 AM   #413
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Anyone have a good solution of a "hanging" nori clip? Looking to get something I can essentially fish out via string versus it being hung by suction cup on the front or back panels? Thinking it will def have to be DIY, but would love ideas if anyone has any.

Unread 10/02/2017, 10:57 AM   #414
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

I use frag plugs
I cut nori into strips wrap it around the plug
Put some braces rubber-bands to hold it in place
I take them out with my grabber but you can drill a hole and pull them out like that

Unread 10/03/2017, 06:12 AM   #415
McPuff
Registered Member

I just use a clip like most other people I'm sure. I have tried to do some other things but haven't found anything that works well with the screen top. You could try to clip something on to the cross brace and let the nori dangle into the water. Just not sure how well that will work either.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2017, 06:24 AM   #416
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I just use a clip like most other people I'm sure. I have tried to do some other things but haven't found anything that works well with the screen top. You could try to clip something on to the cross brace and let the nori dangle into the water. Just not sure how well that will work either.

Yea, I'm not sure how well it will work either. Jeremy is thinking this through for a new project. I'd really like something I can fish out, but the issue it I bet it just sways with the current and the tangs won't like that. As sad as this is, I know I'd put in more nori if it was or accessible. I'll keep y'all updated if we come up with a Solution.

We will see!

Unread 10/03/2017, 09:38 AM   #417
kaxt
Registered Member

Have you looked into the Two Little Fishies Veggie Mag? They are expensive, but I love mine. I just slide the outside magnet up the glass and then I only have to get my finger tips wet to add more nori, then just slide the outside magnet back down.

They have a "mega" version for thicker glass, but I got the original one and just bought a stronger magnet for the outside of the glass from Home Depot.

kaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 07:47 AM   #418
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaxt View Post
Have you looked into the Two Little Fishies Veggie Mag? They are expensive, but I love mine. I just slide the outside magnet up the glass and then I only have to get my finger tips wet to add more nori, then just slide the outside magnet back down.

They have a "mega" version for thicker glass, but I got the original one and just bought a stronger magnet for the outside of the glass from Home Depot.

I have one for my QT and it works wonderfully. I didn't know they make a stronger one. The original I bought isn't strong enough for the thickness of our acrylic. I'll look into the stronger! Thanks for the suggestion!

Unread 10/04/2017, 07:51 AM   #419
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Water clarity, we don't have it! Some days our tank will be clear, somedays (more than not) it seems like there's particulate floating around. I'm going to switch the returns tonight to point further away from the overflow, it's looking like they are interrupting the flow of these particulate going down the overflow. Any other suggestions to check? Too much flow? Too little flow? I'm willing to look into any areas of improvement to get true crystal clear water!

Our front panels have some decent scratches on them from our poor buffing prior to filling. We did around 80% job I'd say. So that doesn't help with the clarity. However, the particulate will definitely make an impact when I can figure out how to get it down the overflow better.

Our frag tank, sump, fuge and cryptic fuge are crystal clear. Same with our QT (where our AWC disposal water goes) are also both crystal clear.

To me it seems as if the root of the problem is within the DT and particulate not making its way down the overflow.

I'll be cleaning the frag tank and sump this week, which will remove some detritus from each, however I don't think that's the issue considering those two tanks water are clear.

Unread 10/04/2017, 07:55 PM   #420
wilder
Registered Member

Karimwassef has a great DIY solution for nori. He has YouTube vids showing the fish eating it, as well as pics on the cryptic zone thread in the general discussion. He uses that user name for both here and YouTube.

Unread 10/04/2017, 08:23 PM   #421
dave.m
Registered Member

When the water goes punky I suggest you start right at your RO/DI unit to see if any filters need changing. Do this check right the way through all your filter units. Too much of something in the water may not be enough to affect auxiliary tanks but may be enough to set off your display tank. Vacuum any substrate. Blow all your rockwork clear of settled detritus, especially underneath it. Cleaning out the sump is also a good idea.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 03:03 AM   #422
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilder View Post
Karimwassef has a great DIY solution for nori. He has YouTube vids showing the fish eating it, as well as pics on the cryptic zone thread in the general discussion. He uses that user name for both here and YouTube.

Awesome! Thanks!!

Unread 10/05/2017, 03:06 AM   #423
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
When the water goes punky I suggest you start right at your RO/DI unit to see if any filters need changing. Do this check right the way through all your filter units. Too much of something in the water may not be enough to affect auxiliary tanks but may be enough to set off your display tank. Vacuum any substrate. Blow all your rockwork clear of settled detritus, especially underneath it. Cleaning out the sump is also a good idea.

Dave.M

Thanks Dave. I'll double check filters this evening, you maybe onto something there as that didn't cross my mind somehow. I'll blow off the rock work as well, not sure how I'd get below the rock work/underneath it?

Sump and frag tank both getting cleaned out of detritus as well. I'll spread this all out over a couple of days to not shock anything while making changes. Probably overly cautious, but can't hurt to be I guess!

Unread 10/05/2017, 10:38 AM   #424
Ojos22
Registered Member

Is the water cloudy? Maybe a bacteria bloom? Do you do any carbon dosing in the main tank but not the others?

Ojos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2017, 11:13 AM   #425
iced98lx
Registered Member

+1 to post above. Is it small particles or is it just cloudy/milky?

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote