Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2017, 03:22 PM   #26
Pife
Registered Member

Looks like a great start. I also like the scape

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 05:59 PM   #27
deeznutz1
Registered Member

Very nice! how do you plan on cleaning the sand bed when things start to grow in?

-deez

Current Tank Info: 150 peninsula SPS dominated
deeznutz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 11:27 AM   #28
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Looks like a great start. I also like the scape
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznutz1 View Post
Very nice! how do you plan on cleaning the sand bed when things start to grow in?

-deez
I dont plan to clean the sand bed, never did on my other tanks. once I have the new tank algae out of the way the goby should be able to take good care of the sand with the amount of flow in my tank

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 01:51 PM   #29
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
I dont plan to clean the sand bed, never did on my other tanks. once I have the new tank algae out of the way the goby should be able to take good care of the sand with the amount of flow in my tank
Gobies really do churn up a lot of sand. You *might* also have enough room for a sand star, but the goby should be plenty. Not to mention, if you have any wrasse that are like my melanurus, he LOVES digging in the sand looking for worms (and ruining pictures).. I'm surprised how well churned he keeps the sand.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 08:18 PM   #30
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Gobies really do churn up a lot of sand. You *might* also have enough room for a sand star, but the goby should be plenty. Not to mention, if you have any wrasse that are like my melanurus, he LOVES digging in the sand looking for worms (and ruining pictures).. I'm surprised how well churned he keeps the sand.
I was thinking about getting a starfish for the sand but I read they dont do well in tanks and usually only last a couple months.

Is that not correct?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 01/15/2017, 02:53 AM   #31
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
I was thinking about getting a starfish for the sand but I read they dont do well in tanks and usually only last a couple months.

Is that not correct?
Definitely not in newer tanks. They need a pretty large tank and typically do better with a deeper sand bed. I was kind of just thinking out loud, since you have very few things obstructing the sand you *might* have room for one. I would not suggest one though. I worded that poorly now that I look at it -_-

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 09:12 AM   #32
Pife
Registered Member

Page 2 and there isn't any pictures...

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Unread 01/17/2017, 12:09 PM   #33
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Page 2 and there isn't any pictures...
I will have to take some pictures tonight, even though it was a long weekend it was quite busy for me.

I am starting to get the uglies of a new tank (especially on the sand bed) since i used brand new live rock, obviously had to with the custom rockwork that took me a couple days and patience to put together but thats expected and as long as I can keep my levels stable the SPS should be fine

Phosphates are always reading between 0.00-0.05 which is good with me. I would like for it to be constant around 0.02 but thats hard to accomplish for me at least. It only has tested 0.05 once and that was right after I fed a decent amount to the tank.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 01/17/2017, 07:47 PM   #34
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Some new pictures, getting much better PE!

photo IMG_1435_zpsiipsps5n.jpg

photo IMG_1434_zps2l8b5xri.jpg

photo IMG_1433_zps1zcdhou7.jpg

photo IMG_1432_zps2rlxbnay.jpg

photo IMG_1431_zpss5qstrlu.jpg

photo IMG_1430_zps4xiw58fu.jpg

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 01/17/2017, 07:50 PM   #35
codydemmel4
Registered Member

and now for the uglies

Starting to get the ugly algae on the sand bed but eventually that will go away with the good filtration!

photo IMG_1437_zpssltofaxa.jpg

photo IMG_1436_zpsilfmgvvq.jpg

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 01/17/2017, 08:55 PM   #36
Pife
Registered Member

There they are! The frags are looking better than a week ago.

Unread 01/18/2017, 06:44 AM   #37
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
There they are! The frags are looking better than a week ago.
Thanks, I can definitely tell a difference in color and PE in almost all the frags. Especially the milles and the ones that browned out from the move. The PE this morning when the lights off was insane (which is what it was on my last tank) which is great to see as that is mostly how I tell how healthy and happy my frags are.

What do you guys usually go off of? I will have to try to take a picture tomorrow morning to show the PE

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 01/18/2017, 07:00 AM   #38
codydemmel4
Registered Member

So this is what has been taking up a lot of my time lately too We got a puppy a little over a week ago, which has been a great experience but is a lot of work. Wouldn't trade him for anything though.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 01/18/2017, 07:50 AM   #39
reefmutt
Registered Member

Tank is coming along and the frags look great but that puppy!
So cute!!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2017, 09:10 AM   #40
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Tank is coming along and the frags look great but that puppy!
So cute!!
Thank you!!

Yes he can be so cute at times and then of course a pain in the *** at others haha

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 01/18/2017, 10:17 PM   #41
jaxspsreef
Registered Member

Aquascape looks amazing!! I think corals are pretty close, might have space issues with growth. Once established they they grow quickly!

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon build on the way!!!
jaxspsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 06:30 AM   #42
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxspsreef View Post
Aquascape looks amazing!! I think corals are pretty close, might have space issues with growth. Once established they they grow quickly!
Thank you!!

I am hoping I have that problem, it would be a good problem to have

In the case of that, I would sell my least favorite ones but I do have most on 1-2 inch frag plugs so I can move them and still have a large portion of their base.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 01/19/2017, 06:35 AM   #43
childress5tyler
Registered Member

Awesome start! I'm starting up a smaller SPS tank and really would like to simulate this aquascape; any advice for somebody trying to copy this??

childress5tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 07:13 AM   #44
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by childress5tyler View Post
Awesome start! I'm starting up a smaller SPS tank and really would like to simulate this aquascape; any advice for somebody trying to copy this??

What size tank?

Depending on how small you are going to go, I would try to have the rock height in the middle of the tank so if you can get a big base rock (if you can somehow make it smooth on the bottom that would be great to be more stable) that is like 3 inches below that, so if your tank is 20 inches tall get a base rock that is around 6-7 inches. Then you want to get smaller branch tonga from BRS or a LFS. Then really all you do is use zipties, silicone (not that much) but I used a lot of the marco rock cement which worked very good. Make sure you have patience when doing it.

One thing I had to do since my tank is large. I actually have a large piece of PVC on the left side that I covered with cement and then rubbed agronite sand all over it to make it look exactly like live rock.

It definitely was frustrating at some points but overall I couldnt be more happy with how it turned out. Just be patient and everything will work out. I did it over a week, with a small amount at a time and let it dry out.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 01/19/2017, 07:17 AM   #45
childress5tyler
Registered Member

Quote:
What size tank?

Depending on how small you are going to go, I would try to have the rock height in the middle of the tank so if you can get a big base rock (if you can somehow make it smooth on the bottom that would be great to be more stable) that is like 3 inches below that, so if your tank is 20 inches tall get a base rock that is around 6-7 inches. Then you want to get smaller branch tonga from BRS or a LFS. Then really all you do is use zipties, silicone (not that much) but I used a lot of the marco rock cement which worked very good. Make sure you have patience when doing it.

One thing I had to do since my tank is large. I actually have a large piece of PVC on the left side that I covered with cement and then rubbed agronite sand all over it to make it look exactly like live rock.

It definitely was frustrating at some points but overall I couldnt be more happy with how it turned out. Just be patient and everything will work out. I did it over a week, with a small amount at a time and let it dry out.
I'm going to be running a 28 gallon Deep Blue rimless SPS reef. I've been out of the hobby for 3 years or so and this is my "getting back into the hobby after college" tank. It needs to be small enough for an apartment but still have a little bit of space to grow.

I appreciate your advice, I've seen several time before where the aquascape depended on zip ties, etc. Regarding the marco rock cement, where would you recommend getting this from? Also, did you have any issue cycling your tank with dry rock?

Tyler

Unread 01/19/2017, 07:31 AM   #46
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by childress5tyler View Post
I'm going to be running a 28 gallon Deep Blue rimless SPS reef. I've been out of the hobby for 3 years or so and this is my "getting back into the hobby after college" tank. It needs to be small enough for an apartment but still have a little bit of space to grow.

I appreciate your advice, I've seen several time before where the aquascape depended on zip ties, etc. Regarding the marco rock cement, where would you recommend getting this from? Also, did you have any issue cycling your tank with dry rock?

Tyler
That's a nice tank. Definitely use zip ties and if I were to do it over, I would use them first then the cement to hide the zip ties even though eventually I am sure mine will be covered with coralline algae but oh well.

Regarding the marco rock cement, just search it on google and youll see it.

I used a product called startsmart complete, which helped with the cycle but of course using dry rock you will have the uglies and other signs of the cycle, just have to go a little slower and I wouldnt add any expensive SPS or fish till you are 100% positive your tank is cycled.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 01/19/2017, 08:16 PM   #47
childress5tyler
Registered Member

Quote:
That's a nice tank. Definitely use zip ties and if I were to do it over, I would use them first then the cement to hide the zip ties even though eventually I am sure mine will be covered with coralline algae but oh well.

Regarding the marco rock cement, just search it on google and youll see it.

I used a product called startsmart complete, which helped with the cycle but of course using dry rock you will have the uglies and other signs of the cycle, just have to go a little slower and I wouldnt add any expensive SPS or fish till you are 100% positive your tank is cycled.
Thanks for the input. I'm planning to thoroughly let my tank cycle before I throw anything in, like ~3 months.

Unread 01/21/2017, 06:00 PM   #48
codydemmel4
Registered Member

some night shots

took some night shots to show how good the PE is but its hard to see.

photo IMG_1447_zpsvn3sst8t.png

photo IMG_1442_zps56vvfsdo.png

photo IMG_1445_zps1edrhqni.png

photo IMG_1446_zpsjai8nstf.png

photo IMG_1444_zps3cy5vnar.png

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 01/22/2017, 04:08 PM   #49
codydemmel4
Registered Member

just bought some new milles im excited to get

photo YellowMilleColony-RetailPrice100SALEPRICE75_zpsbboeosnk.jpg

photo DoubleMille-RetailPrice100SALEPRICE50_zpsh7uvogqw.jpg

On this one, these are obviously two different corals. Should I frag them so they dont touch or wont they kill eachother?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 01/23/2017, 06:30 PM   #50
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice! They both look like millies. They shouldn't be too agressive to each other.. you might get away with leaving them close together.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote