Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/07/2018, 03:04 PM   #1
cjpitt80
Registered Member

What's on My Zoas??

Hi guys, yesterday I added the finishing touches to my CUC. Some Trochus snails and a couple emerald crabs. I noticed one of the snails was on my zoa rock last night (hopefully grazing algae or something). Came home from work and noticed this reddish powdery slime kinda stuff on some of the colony. What is it? How worried should I be? How do I get rid of it? Did the snail have anything to do with it? Should I chuck the whole rock??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1536352692067.jpg (10.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 1536352630198.jpg (11.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 1536352610392.jpg (11.8 KB, 45 views)
75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
cjpitt80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2018, 03:13 PM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Looks like Cyanobacteria.

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2018, 03:37 PM   #3
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post

Cyano grows that fast? Like it wasn't there last night and today it is. I've never had nitrates over 2ppm and it's been at 0 since 8/13. My phosphate level was at .018 back on 7/16 according to my Triton analysis. It seems that my nutrient levels are under control. It seems to be confined to this one rock for now.

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
Unread 09/07/2018, 05:03 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yep...cyano...no proven/direct correlation has been made to nitrate and phosphate levels and cyano growth..
Just siphon it out during water changes and see how it does...a 3 day lights out period can also help some....after that chemical attack works too. (Chemiclean or red slime remover)..
Patience is key..
Its quite common and certainly not a real problem or reason for anything drastic

Unread 09/08/2018, 09:51 AM   #5
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Yep...cyano...no proven/direct correlation has been made to nitrate and phosphate levels and cyano growth..
Just siphon it out during water changes and see how it does...a 3 day lights out period can also help some....after that chemical attack works too. (Chemiclean or red slime remover)..
Patience is key..
Its quite common and certainly not a real problem or reason for anything drastic
Dude, you're like my own personal mentor lol. Seems like it's gotten SLIGHTLY better today. I'm doing Triton method and last week was supposed to be my last water change. I'll try to remove the rock and see if I can get it. That stuff is amazing. Like literally there was NONE there, then 18hrs later it's all over. Ugh

Unread 09/08/2018, 01:14 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Cyano is basically the reason we are all able to live on this earth..It is amazing stuff that actually serves a good function..I tend to let it do its thing for a bit as long as its not smothering corals or whatever and just siphon it out every once in a while..
My tank has a few small spots of it now but its always a seasonal thing for me about this time of the year...I just let it be and it will go away..

Unread 09/09/2018, 08:08 PM   #7
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Cyano is basically the reason we are all able to live on this earth..It is amazing stuff that actually serves a good function..I tend to let it do its thing for a bit as long as its not smothering corals or whatever and just siphon it out every once in a while..
My tank has a few small spots of it now but its always a seasonal thing for me about this time of the year...I just let it be and it will go away..
Mine is popping up spots of cyano too.. just like last year this time.. so strange..

My 74 gallon tower tank (been cycling since April with only hitchikers.. because...well... summertime lol)

It's got a ton of cyano on the sandbed.. like yourself.. I'm just gonna let it do it's thing till it goes away.. I didn't care much for the chemiclean when I used it last year.. I think it caused more problems than it fixed honestly

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 09:34 AM   #8
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Update

So I always get po'd when people never finish their story.
After about a week, I decided to go ahead and remove the rock and scrub with Coral Revive. It seems to have gotten rid of most of the cyano stuff. The zoas haven't opened back up yet, so I'll give a few more days