Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/09/2009, 08:50 PM   #51
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: PS Paul

Quote:
Originally posted by terri_ann
College is fine but not 'all inclusive'. EXPERIENCE has my vote!! I just happen to be able to spell...usually :-)
I agree---just read my signature. Sure I have BSc and an MEd but its not helping much in the business that I am now in----but Paul, Waterkeeper and the other experienced on here sure are

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2009, 09:33 PM   #52
terri_ann
Registered Member

Glad you agree, Cap! 40 years teaching paid for your education and the experience...nothing to sneeze at I'm sure! What better business could you be in now while you're in your prime! Just think about what retirement will hold for you :-) TeeHee!

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed 40B Anemone 5' raceway frag tank
terri_ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2009, 04:18 AM   #53
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
he said he wanted another boat!! He has 3 now so I don't know where that came from...
I like this guy, he has priorities.

Quote:
hope I can help him out! HAVE TO RESPECT our Servicemen AND VETERANS!!!!!
Yes, Yes Yes

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2009, 06:41 PM   #54
terri_ann
Registered Member

Sunday is the day! I'm getting the 29g from the guy going to Iraq. And, he's giving me his LS that has critters in it! YIPEE!!!! I'm so excited to see what all those critters look like!

Question: Will it hurt to put his sand in my 135 after it has been transported for about 1 hour? Thanks!!

Unread 09/10/2009, 09:34 PM   #55
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by terri_ann
Sunday is the day! I'm getting the 29g from the guy going to Iraq. And, he's giving me his LS that has critters in it! YIPEE!!!! I'm so excited to see what all those critters look like!

Question: Will it hurt to put his sand in my 135 after it has been transported for about 1 hour? Thanks!!
not sure why you would want to do that. I would want to rinse that sand before using in your display tank.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 09/11/2009, 03:04 AM   #56
terri_ann
Registered Member

Just want to seed my display since there aren't any critters in it. If I rinse it, won't I lose the critters? How much sand to seed my 135g, Cap?

Unread 09/12/2009, 06:13 AM   #57
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

Anyone care to comment on what detrivores I could get to go in my overflow? It's an external and given it's location and the six 1-1/2" pipes I can't get in there to clean it out. I've heard that over time the build up of detritus can crash a tank.
Thanks

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. "
Sir Winston Churchill praising those young RAF pilots.
August 20th 1940
Click on my name for drop down list and select "Visit EnglishRebels Home Page" for my build thread.

Current Tank Info: 60x30x24 200G AO custom glass tank, basement equipment room, 30G and 55G Fuges, LifeReef sump & 30" skimmer.
EnglishRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2009, 06:19 AM   #58
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
We have boat captains that write articles too. I thought your bio was in the mag Paul. Write one and I'll get in published.
Tom
I see that my bio is now in the magazine - thanks. What did I do to be first in line -- have a first name that begins with A.

August 20th 1940
Click on my name for drop down list and select "Visit EnglishRebels Home Page" for my build thread.

Current Tank Info: 60x30x24 200G AO custom glass tank, basement equipment room, 30G and 55G Fuges, LifeReef sump & 30" skimmer.
Unread 09/12/2009, 06:44 AM   #59
Paul B
Premium Member

Sure "almost" everyone has a Bio in the magazine. Even the guy who cleans the inside of the glass on my monitor and the guy who sweeps the floor.

Unread 09/12/2009, 08:17 AM   #60
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul B
..... and the guy who sweeps the floor.
Which one sweeps the floor. Not WK I hope because as you know he's some sort of analytical chemist and he would likely examine every bloody thing in his dustpan under a microscope.

August 20th 1940

Unread 09/12/2009, 08:22 AM   #61
Paul B
Premium Member

Yes correct and what exactly is an analytical chemist?

Did you ever ask a little kid what he wanted to be when he grew up? Did anyone ever say, "I want to be an analytical chemist"?
Not a soldier, policeman or fireman, but an analytical chemist.

Unread 09/12/2009, 10:56 AM   #62
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

ok a question for WK, PAUL B and the CAPN, any of you guys know anything about using vitamin c in reef aquaria, have any links to any threads or know anything about it? i want to read up on it, many thanks, mike

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2009, 02:57 PM   #63
Paul B
Premium Member

I used vitamin C in my tank many years ago and I used it for years. I really never noticed any difference in anything so I can't say if it did anything or not.
Animals use vitamins in the amounts that they are supposed to be used, usually in the amounts that is in their natural foods. Any more vitamin doesn't do anything. Of course if you feed flakes every day, you probably should dose a lot of things.

Unread 09/12/2009, 05:01 PM   #64
Aquarist007
Registered Member

I use Vitachem in my blender mish mash of reef food. I did read sometime where someone put a piece of banana in their tank on a regular basis

here is a good thread on it

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ight=vitamin+c

Unread 09/13/2009, 12:40 AM   #65
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

thanks guys, im unsure as to its worth, its just something id like to read up on, interesting about the banana scott, cheers guys

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2009, 09:56 AM   #66
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
thanks guys, im unsure as to its worth, its just something id like to read up on, interesting about the banana scott, cheers guys
anytime Michael---from what I have learned from PaulB --fish oil is the key ingredient missing from most foods that we should be adding to our tanks.
not being close to the ocean for live stuff I add silversides minnows once or twice a week chopped up of course. The internal organs are rich in fish oil.

Unread 09/13/2009, 10:25 AM   #67
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
anytime Michael---from what I have learned from PaulB --fish oil is the key ingredient missing from most foods that we should be adding to our tanks.
not being close to the ocean for live stuff I add silversides minnows once or twice a week chopped up of course. The internal organs are rich in fish oil.

Unread 09/19/2009, 08:28 PM   #68
ReefPug
Registered Member

I am working on a 185 Gallon setup (60x30x24) and have a few questions...I would like to hear any opinions.
Lighting: I really like the 250W Radium Metal Halide Bulbs (20K). How close to the water can these be mounted. I have a fairly shallow canopy....the fixture I was looking at was 5" Tall and this would place in about 4 1/2 inches above the water. If this is absolutely not workable I could go with T5.

Unread 09/19/2009, 08:36 PM   #69
ReefPug
Registered Member

Also...I have read through all of the Newbie stuff and don't see much on plumbing. I have scoured through the Large Reef Tank forum and have a pretty good idea what things should look like under the tank....but how do you plumb the overflow? I have 4 holes in a back/center overflow.
1. How high should the water level be back there?
2. I have seen just the pipe sticking up and it just flows into that...but also a curved U bend neck so that the water is entering the pipe below the water line. How does that work?
3. I like the look that the Tunze Wavebox gives a tank. Is this enough flow if you are using an Eheim 1262 return pump (900 gph) through the sump?

Unread 09/20/2009, 08:45 PM   #70
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefPug
Also...I have read through all of the Newbie stuff and don't see much on plumbing. I have scoured through the Large Reef Tank forum and have a pretty good idea what things should look like under the tank....but how do you plumb the overflow? I have 4 holes in a back/center overflow.
1. How high should the water level be back there?
2. I have seen just the pipe sticking up and it just flows into that...but also a curved U bend neck so that the water is entering the pipe below the water line. How does that work?
3. I like the look that the Tunze Wavebox gives a tank. Is this enough flow if you are using an Eheim 1262 return pump (900 gph) through the sump?
I am assuming the back centre overflow is internal--inside the tank.
Two of the holes are for drainage to the sump and two of the holes are for return lines.

Are the holes the same side and do they have a bulkhead in each
A bulkhead is a plastic fitting inserted into the holes so a pipe can be inserted in both ends

Unread 09/20/2009, 09:24 PM   #71
ReefPug
Registered Member

Yes. It is an internal overflow. All 4 holes are the same size and I need to get all the plumbing...including bulkheads.

Unread 09/20/2009, 09:31 PM   #72
ReefPug
Registered Member

I guess my question is are there standard height overflow pipes that attach to the bulkhead? There will be 2 drains and 2 returns....but I am at a loss on specific parts to get. My tank is 24 inches deep so the pipe in the overflow should be about 22" high and get topped with something to prevent anything from traveling down the pipe...right? I saw one overflow that was about that height but at the top had a U bend so that the water entered the overflow pipe from below the waterline. Would this make it quieter? Would this still be a gravity feed overflow or would it require a pump?

Unread 09/20/2009, 09:38 PM   #73
Alaska_Phil
Registered Member

The U-bend in the top is called a Durso overflow. And yes, it's purpose is to quiet the system and prevent gurgling noises that annoy spouses.

Phil

Current Tank Info: 50 gal mixed reef, 65 gal freshwater planted.
Alaska_Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2009, 05:11 PM   #74
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
I agree---just read my signature. Sure I have BSc
Capn, WK told me you have a lot of that

As for fish oil, if we manage to get enough fish oil into our fish we would not need 90% of the other stuff we throw in there.
We probably would not even have to quarantine, fish would be spawning all over the place and there would be no problems, no ich, no anything but healthy happy colorful fish, some of them would probably even learn how to play the piano.
One of my gobies does the sunday crossword with my wife.

Well maybe I exagerated just a bit, but almost anyway.

Of course they don't really do the crossword puzzle, Where would they get the time, with all that piano playing

Unread 09/24/2009, 12:47 PM   #75
EnglishRebel
Retired Rebel Reefer

When you install the standpipes in the bulkheads for the drains, glue in a short pipe into the bulkhead and then glue a coupling to the pipe. Then you can make up the riser, tee, street elbow by glueing then together (screw the cap on so it can be removed later if you need to have a smaller hole). Make the rise pipe longer than you think you will need. Then you can push this whole assembly into the previously glued coupling. The water level in your overflow box needs to be about one to two inches below the overflow teeth (any lower and it will be noisy). The water level in the overflow box needs to be about halfway up the elbow. You can adjust water levels by shortening the riser pipe until you get it tuned in.
Some people don't glue anything and just push fit the fittings together. This is fine too. Make sure that you screw a strainer into the downturned street elbow to prevent large snails getting in and clogging the pipe. With your two drains the chance of them both getting blocked in slim.
Check this web site of Richard Durso to get more information. Durso

August 20th 1940