Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/04/2017, 06:37 AM   #1
royy13
Registered Member

bare bottom aesthetics

I'm sick of having my tank loaded with nitrates from the sand bottom, so when I build my new tank I'm going bare bottom. The thing is its just so blah. What are some of the trends to spruce up bare bottom tanks? I figured I could just go starboard, or maybe paint the bottom a color. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Roy

royy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 06:49 AM   #2
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

My buddy had a little 20 gallon he did bare bottom and what he did was a genius idea to me. he painted the bottom black. Then he fragged some GSP from his larger tank and just attached them to some very thin frag plugs then sat them on the bottom of the tank. Then over a course of time the whole bottom was GSP and I thought it looked awesome.

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke

Last edited by FoxFace Fish; 10/04/2017 at 07:03 AM.
FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 06:51 AM   #3
kevin21
Registered Member

^^That.

I have a barebottom tank and used starboard. Over time, it gets covered with coral and coraline. Like at the current moment, I have some acans, button polyps, and a ton of coraline all over the white bottom. I thought about painting it black to make colors pop, but was worried about an unnatural look.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 06:53 AM   #4
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

Wish I had a picture of this lol I have not seen it in a while.

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke
FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 07:15 AM   #5
royy13
Registered Member

wouldn't the GSP end up trapping detritus?

Unread 10/04/2017, 07:22 AM   #6
kevin21
Registered Member

Your tank should have plenty of flow, detritus should never have the opporunity to land on your corals.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
Unread 10/04/2017, 07:25 AM   #7
royy13
Registered Member

GSP won't be able to handle the amount of flow that would keep all detritus from settling on the bottom.

Another thought on the GSP idea: Won't the GSP start spreading up all of the rocks taking over the tank?

Roy

Unread 10/04/2017, 07:32 AM   #8
kevin21
Registered Member

Roy,

GSP can handle plenty of flow. It is not like you need 100 times turnover in order to stop detritus from settling. I have 1 vortech mp10 running at 50% in my 28g nano. No issues whatsoever with detritus settling in the front of the tank. On some of the sides under the rocks, sure. That is why I siphon it out every time I do a water change.

Putting GSP in the tank is a risk when it comes to spreading, but not if you keep on top of it. If you see it starting to spread where you dont want it, take a razor blade to the mat and move it somewhere else, toss it, or donate it to another reefer.

Unread 10/04/2017, 07:44 AM   #9
royy13
Registered Member

Kevin,
Are you happy with the starboard, or would you do something different if you were starting over?

Unread 10/04/2017, 07:50 AM   #10
Bpb
Registered Member

Encrusting montipora, chalices. Those work well on bare bottom. But also keep in mind it’ll be covered in coraline fairly quickly so you won’t have that shiny glass look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 07:55 AM   #11
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
encrusting montipora, chalices. Those work well on bare bottom. But also keep in mind it’ll be covered in coraline fairly quickly so you won’t have that shiny glass look

sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro
+1

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 08:06 AM   #12
kevin21
Registered Member

Extremely happy with the starboard. I have used in on all of my tanks. I normally just order a standard size, and then cut and sand it down on my own to fit the tanks. Custom sizes can get pricey, standard cuts are reasonable. I went with white on all of my tanks.

Unread 10/04/2017, 08:09 AM   #13
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royy13 View Post
I'm sick of having my tank loaded with nitrates from the sand bottom
Sand doesn't cause a tank to be loaded with nitrates.

Go bare bottom if you want, but I feel like you may be in for a bad time if you think that'll cure a nutrient issue. Regardless of substrate choice, you need to either process or remove nutrients.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 09:51 AM   #14
royy13
Registered Member

Willie,

The sand stinks if you remove it. All the decaying matter that gets caught up in it over the years begins to breakdown causing nitrates. I love the look of the sand in a reef, but keeping it clean is too much.

Unread 10/04/2017, 09:59 AM   #15
Bpb
Registered Member

If you like sand but hate nitrates, a squirt of vodka in he tank every day is your answer. Takes no more time than feeding the fish and requires no other work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 10:06 AM   #16
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Sand doesn't cause a tank to be loaded with nitrates.

Go bare bottom if you want, but I feel like you may be in for a bad time if you think that'll cure a nutrient issue. Regardless of substrate choice, you need to either process or remove nutrients.
This.

Keeping sand clean isn't hard or time consuming if you maintain your tank. Once or twice a month you should vacuum part of your sandbed with a water change. Super easy and by sectioning it off you don't destroy all of the bacteria populations at once.

Once I notice my sandbed is matured and doing well, I syphon ¼ of it every other water change. On larger tanks you break it down further if needed and do like ⅛ of it here and there.

If your sandbed turns into a "nitrate factory" then it is literally doing its job. The problem is you, the hobbyist, have a nutrient issue and are importing more than exporting.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote