Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/16/2018, 07:55 PM   #1
Jackooze
Registered Member

Need some advice on what action to take !

I am having trouble keeping Acropora alive but no issues with other sps like digi or stylo. The tissues keep bleaching or coming off starting from the base and then move to the tips. I am assuming it might have to do with the balance between my nutrients and Alk which is why I am here asking for help. If my nutrients are high should my alk be higher then 8.9 or should I just worry about keeping them as low as possible and Alk stable? My goal is to lower my Alk down to 8 and keep my nutrients as low as possible but if I keep my alk on the low side and my nutrients jump high does that affect sps? I've considered maybe it is due to high/low lighting or maybe not enough flow. There are so many possibilities of error I am trying to wrap my head around this and understand what I am doing wrong. This tank has been running for two years with LPS but I started taking this hobby really seriously in July when I wanted to transition to sps dominate.

Dosing: 2ml Nopox & Acropower 2ml Daily
Running GFO
Alk 8.9 ( stable since Nov11 and before that fluctuated 7.6-8.3)
Mag 1440
Cal 445ppm
Nitrate 25ppm. ( ranges 5-25ppm)
Phosphates .08 (ranges .03-.08)
2 x mp40 Tank turnover 50x
Lights 2x XR15’s with diffusers at 65% max intensity

Reef Octo 110S
Vortechs MP40's
Jackooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2018, 12:37 AM   #2
awais98
SPS

Things that Matter for Acros:
Stability
Very stable Alk
( stable high if nutrients high, stable low if nutrients low)
Nitrate 2-10
Phos < 0.05 stable
Random high flow
Good Lights

If those are stable, send a triton water test to see if there’s something missing or extra.

GL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 240DT SPS DOMINANT
awais98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2018, 05:34 AM   #3
Jackooze
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awais98 View Post
Things that Matter for Acros:
Stability
Very stable Alk
( stable high if nutrients high, stable low if nutrients low)
Nitrate 2-10
Phos < 0.05 stable
Random high flow
Good Lights

If those are stable, send a triton water test to see if there’s something missing or extra.

GL
So if my alk is very stable but my nutrients fluctuate between high and low that will affect the Acros ? Also if my phosphate is stable can nitrate fluctuate ? I am just trying to understand this balance. Thanks for responding

Reef Octo 110S
Vortechs MP40's
Jackooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 08:31 AM   #4
markalot

IMO ALk should always be near natural levels for Acros, regardless of nutrients.

Rapid PO4 drops will stress acros almost as bad as a KH spike, in my experience.

Acros seem to be able to handle more instability when Alk is near 7. I constantly run low, 6.5 sometimes down to 5.8 if I don't test often enough. Acro growth is extremely fast, I would prefer slower growth.

I have not found that fluctuating nitrates causes acro stress, though I really can't say for sure. I took all nutrient removal offline except for the skimmer and a reactor filled with matrix stones for nitrate reduction. This reactor took months to make a difference and it's either working or the Acro growth is now controlling the nitrates.

So in short, low and stable KH, don't chase nutrients, success.

Unread 12/19/2018, 09:16 AM   #5
reefmutt
Registered Member

I agree mostly with Mark. Between 6.5 to 7.5 has always been my sweetsop for alk.
As for nutrients, I’ve never seen my acros get stressed from rising nutrients n or p.. however, dropping nutrients are more of an issue. Especially p. But getting below 2ppm for n can also be quite stressful in corals that have acclimated to higher nutrients.
Swinging n from 2-25 is fairly dramatic but I’ve certainly been there..
If you are using a phosphate absorber, then n can definitely swing independently of p.
How long have you been using nopox?
If it is only recently, I assume you are currently on a down swing for n..
If I were in your shoes, I’d back off a bit on alk, use a bit more nopox to stabilize n around 10 and reduce the gfo a bit while you increase nopox. The nopox will reduce p a small amount as well.. Once n is below or near 10 and p is in your current range- and numbers are stable for a month or two, without you having to manipulate things to drastically, then try a couple acros again.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2018, 08:16 AM   #6
xiao
Registered Member

I agree with the two opinions upstairs.

xiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2018, 08:10 AM   #7
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
IMO ALk should always be near natural levels for Acros, regardless of nutrients.

Rapid PO4 drops will stress acros almost as bad as a KH spike, in my experience.

Acros seem to be able to handle more instability when Alk is near 7. I constantly run low, 6.5 sometimes down to 5.8 if I don't test often enough. Acro growth is extremely fast, I would prefer slower growth.

I have not found that fluctuating nitrates causes acro stress, though I really can't say for sure. I took all nutrient removal offline except for the skimmer and a reactor filled with matrix stones for nitrate reduction. This reactor took months to make a difference and it's either working or the Acro growth is now controlling the nitrates.

So in short, low and stable KH, don't chase nutrients, success.
This is good advice ^^
I also keep my alk in the 7's, acros grow very fast... I use cheato with a Mars 300 on my 180 and it keeps nutrients low enough but not too low. occasionally I will have to shut off my skimmer to keep nutrients up. I have lots of tangs and feed alot. One of the worst things you can do is chase nutrients, let the tank balance naturally. I don't use GFO/nopox at all and hate it!

I use cheato, 4L matrix, skimmer, mixed with good indirect water flow, good lighting. 200 total water volume

Owner Hidden Treasure Corals LLC
Reefer40b is offline   Reply With Quote