Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/28/2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Southsid_reefer
Moved On

Commercial tank build...

Well as some of you may know, I have started my own business and things are really starting to take off. So we need to setup more systems to supply more stock.

I started my build 2 weeks ago on 3 tanks made of 3/4 PVC foam board that I purchased from Faulkner Plastic. I purchased 3-8x4 foot sheets and had them cut to to size to make Tanks that are 74x24x10. I screwed the tanks together with stainless steel screws (they don't come in contact with the water) and then sealed. Tanks were also braced on the inside with 1in pieces to make an extra seal. We tested them today and all three passed, no leaks

We also build all 3 stands out of 2x4 and painted them with satin black waterproofing stain. They look great. Tomorrow we will continue to run all the electrical and move the 2-60 gallon frag tanks to the other side of the garage( that's going to be fun)

Haven't made up my mind on lighting but I would like to setup up LEDs on all tanks but that would be pricey, so for now I may just go with a some MH on light movers on each tank.

Tanks will be setup with a auto water change system.

more updates to come.....

Southsid_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2012, 12:50 PM   #2
THS
Registered Member

Good luck with the business! LED's would be a wise investment in my opinion.

Current Tank Info: 29g Pre-Reef
THS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2012, 02:21 AM   #3
miguelp19
Registered Member

nice!! are the PVC foam boards pricey?

miguelp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Rinkrat
Registered Member

Cool setup hope all goes well

Rinkrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Southsid_reefer
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelp19 View Post
nice!! are the PVC foam boards pricey?
Not at all a 8x4 sheet cost $147. Each system tank,stand and sump cost roughly $300 to build

Unread 07/31/2012, 10:59 PM   #6
Southsid_reefer
Moved On

So i finally got back to working on the tanks, after having to take a break due to being slammed with work, and finding out that I'm going to be a daddy...I'm happy to see the progress. Everything is coming along very well, each tank and sump filled with about 120g of water. I started the tanks from scratch with dry rock and sand and will add about 10lbs of LR from my DT to seed the new systems.I originally was going to do the tanks bare bottom, but I decided to go with 1 inch of small gravel/pebbles(50 lbs/each) in the main tanks to see how I like it.If im not happy with this style ill toss the gravel. We built the sumps with chambers (filter socks-LR/skimmer/fuge/Return pump) each sump has about 75lbs of LR and about 100lbs of sand in the fuge (6in). I got a pretty good deal on some internal cap-5000 pumps(1200gph) so I am running 1 on each tank.I chose to run 1 tank on a single 120g system which will be strictly Sps and the other 2 in a joined system 240g system with 2 sumps connected to each other with a valve so I can split the system if I choose to.Marke gave me very good advice on how to setup a Auto water change system, So I went with it. so far I have the drains hooked up but I still have to setup my new mixing station to finish it up. (thanks buddy for the great ideas)Tanks are filled with salt water and starting the cycle as of yesterday. Plz leave feedback positive or negative. I would like to hear what y'all have to sayHere's some teaser pics... EnjoyPlz excuse the mess.

Unread 08/01/2012, 07:05 PM   #7
jarmitage
Registered Member

I think those tanks are really neat. is it hard stuff to work with ? I like the idea that the white color will help make good use of light.

jarmitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Southsid_reefer
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmitage View Post
I think those tanks are really neat. is it hard stuff to work with ? I like the idea that the white color will help make good use of light.
Not at all. I have never built a tank in my life.lol it was very easy. All I had was a friend teach me how to build one tank and I took over from there

Unread 08/01/2012, 09:45 PM   #9
BayouCorals
Registered Member

The tanks look good. Did you use PVC glue to seal the seams when you screwed them together same
as plumbing with PVC? Or did you seal them with something else after they were assembled?

BayouCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2012, 08:24 AM   #10
Southsid_reefer
Moved On

I used weld on solvent wich is a liquid you squirt in the the seams befor tightening the screws all the way. Thant melts the board together. Then you use regular PVC glue you would use on you plumbing but with no primer. And after all that if you would want to be extra sure it holds you can line it with silicone

Unread 08/02/2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Da Maui life
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsid_reefer View Post
I used weld on solvent wich is a liquid you squirt in the the seams befor tightening the screws all the way. Thant melts the board together. Then you use regular PVC glue you would use on you plumbing but with no primer. And after all that if you would want to be extra sure it holds you can line it with silicone
Weld-On 3 or 4?

Last edited by Da Maui life; 08/02/2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Left out #4
Da Maui life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Southsid_reefer
Moved On

Number 4 I think. I will double check when I get home

Unread 08/06/2012, 12:12 AM   #13
brad ellington
Registered Member

can you tell me more about the foam bored is it close cell how thick 3/4 how much it was i am looking in to building 2 frag tanks my self you can pm me if you like thanks brad

brad ellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Southsid_reefer
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad ellington View Post
can you tell me more about the foam bored is it close cell how thick 3/4 how much it was i am looking in to building 2 frag tanks my self you can pm me if you like thanks brad
I used 3/4 inch,and each sheet cost me $143

Unread 08/08/2012, 09:35 AM   #15
Southsid_reefer
Moved On

So I pre ordered 2 lights for one of the tanks to see how I light it. If I am satisfied I will order 4 more. And start to distribute them as well .
They are from prestige led.

**A mix of 48CREE leds.
**4xT5 lamps
**Special ''W'' Shaped T5 reflectors reflect 99% of light into the tank
**Advanced control board
**3channels for the leds with 0-99% inputs per channel
**9settings per channel
**24hr clock with minute-by-minute adjustability.
**Independant on/off switches and plugs for each pair of T5's and the LED panel.

**Wireless remote control**

Attachment 199264
Attachment 199265
Attachment 199266

Unread 08/08/2012, 09:37 AM   #16
Southsid_reefer
Moved On

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344440223.040929.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344440237.514894.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344440265.168003.jpg

Unread 08/08/2012, 06:03 PM   #17
erosenlieb
Registered Member

Just wondering if you got to pick the LEDs that went in there

if so what are they i also use Cree LEDs on my DT

and did you pick the reds i have been told that they really don't do nothing for corals but that is just what i was told

erosenlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2012, 08:32 PM   #18
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

like how you used the pvc board to build the tanks. have you noticed any bowing down the sides of the tanks like you get with acrylic?

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2012, 10:43 PM   #19
JoshuAcOOk
Registered Member

thats a cool set up!

JoshuAcOOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2012, 11:40 AM   #20
Southsid_reefer
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftanknewbie View Post
like how you used the pvc board to build the tanks. have you noticed any bowing down the sides of the tanks like you get with acrylic?
They might bow over time but as of right now no. I've seen 16ft long tanks made from this material that's started to barley bow out after 3 years of use but they still are holding great

Unread 08/10/2012, 10:08 PM   #21
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsid_reefer View Post
They might bow over time but as of right now no. I've seen 16ft long tanks made from this material that's started to barley bow out after 3 years of use but they still are holding great
wow that's some great stuff. good luck with the store and keep us posted with pics please.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2012, 07:38 AM   #22
SAreefer
Registered Member

Interesting material to use for building a tank. The fact its all white should be quite nice for light reflection within the tank

SAreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2012, 11:28 AM   #23
Waddleboy
Registered Member

That material is really cool. I have always been worried about using cause its 50% air %05 solid.. Can you explain your gluing process again? Weldon 3 into the space followed by pvc and then screw it together? Did you protect the surface with anything. Thanks and good luck with everything. Love the lights btw

Waddleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2012, 12:18 PM   #24
manfx
Registered Member

Carlos, great build! i cant wait to get down that side and check out your farm!

manfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2012, 05:28 PM   #25
Southsid_reefer
Moved On

Thanks for the kind word every one..first I drilled all the screws thill the was a minor gap between the boards. Then I used squirted the weld on with the an applicator, then quickly finished tightening the screws. Then I had the fall out that was left over from the boards cut in to 1x1x10 pieces and used that as an extra seal, I glued these with PVC cement and laced more glue on top.just to be sure.