Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2018, 11:46 AM   #1
praveen956
Registered Member

40b Centerpiece Fish

Hi, I have a 40 breeder LPS dominated tank (with few SPS) and I have space for 1 more fish.

My current fish list:
1. ocellaris clownfish x 2
2. Mccosker flasher Wrasse x 1
3. Lubbock fairy wrasse x 1
4. Tailspot blenny x 1
5. Orange spotted diamond goby x 1

I really like the yellow tang, coral beauty angelfish or any butterfly type fish to fill this spot. Is it possible to keep a tiniest yellow tang i could find in my tank for a year? I can re-home the fish afterwards. Will it be cruel to the fish?! I like the dwarf angels but I had to remove a flame angel in the past because it was nipping acan coral.. Would really appreciate your thoughts.

praveen956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2018, 02:12 PM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

I would call the fairy or the flasher wrasse the centerpiece, but that's just me.

Yellow tang: I wouldn't put one in a 40, unless it was for qt. It will be a pain to catch, and I've had them go postal on me in 90 and 125 gallon tanks.

Coral beauty: They get a little too big for a 40 breeder, imo. There are a couple smaller dwarf angels, like the flameback, that could work. Of course there is a chance that it would nip your acans as well.

Butterfly: More of a coral risk than any dwarf angel, unless you get a pyramid. Butterflies will get too big anyway.

Flame or longnosed hawk maybe?
Or Possum wrasse?
Blackcap basslet?

IDK, 6 fish seems like kind of a lot already, imo.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2018, 04:02 PM   #3
praveen956
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
I would call the fairy or the flasher wrasse the centerpiece, but that's just me.

Yellow tang: I wouldn't put one in a 40, unless it was for qt. It will be a pain to catch, and I've had them go postal on me in 90 and 125 gallon tanks.

Coral beauty: They get a little too big for a 40 breeder, imo. There are a couple smaller dwarf angels, like the flameback, that could work. Of course there is a chance that it would nip your acans as well.

Butterfly: More of a coral risk than any dwarf angel, unless you get a pyramid. Butterflies will get too big anyway.

Flame or longnosed hawk maybe?
Or Possum wrasse?
Blackcap basslet?

IDK, 6 fish seems like kind of a lot already, imo.
Thanks for the input. I will try to find a dwarf angel that will work.. The tank has really good filtration system with a 30G sump/fuge that i barely detect nitrate and phosphate .. so looking for a pretty fish preferably herbivorous..

praveen956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2018, 07:59 PM   #4
Half Vaped
Registered Member

Putting any Tang or Butterfly in a 40 Breeder is not at all advisable. A regular fully grown Coral Beauty would be a little big for a 40, but I think it might work out if you start with a smaller one. I keep a "Bonsai" CB in my 40 Breeder--it seems to have stopped growing at a little over two inches, the perfect size for an Angel in a 40, but I haven't seen them available for nearly a year.

An African Flameback or Cherub Angel might be a better fit like Pat suggests. If you got the $$$, a Candy Basslet would be a wonderful centerpiece for a 40 Breeder. If you want something that begs for attention, a Valentini Puffer would be nice (slight risk to corals and CUC). Maybe a Royal Gramma?

If you have your heart set on something herbivorous, I think only certain Blennies could fill that role in a 40. Good luck.

Half Vaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2018, 07:39 AM   #5
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen956 View Post
I will try to find a dwarf angel that will work..
Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Vaped View Post
If you got the $$$, a Candy Basslet would be a wonderful centerpiece for a 40 Breeder.
Great suggestion.

The gramma is a good one too. I thought about that, but suggested the blackcap since it's a little less common.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
40 breeder, centerpiece, tang, yellow tang