Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/15/2010, 12:19 PM   #226
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMikey View Post
Subscribed to this thread a while back (on page 2!), but just had the time to go through it this morning between my break at school. Looks like an absolutely fantastic build.

But more than that, can I add that I love your philosophy on Reefkeeping?

Big or small (tank size and/or budget ) we all have the ability to take a disciplined and intensive approach to create the natural wonder of the ocean. I'm looking forward to following this build as close as possible. Keep up the exceptional work!
The energizing thing about this journey are those rare moments when you realize that someone actually reads this stuff. I am humbled, thanks Mike.

Peter

Unread 03/15/2010, 12:22 PM   #227
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyzoo View Post
Wow, that ship is amazing. I bet that painting above it is pretty sweet too. Is it my imagination or is that painting a coat rack?
Actually you are close.....sort of......I think it was originally to hold your quiver of arrows so the dogs wouldn't chew on them!!! The artwork is a tapestry of dubious age.

Peter

Unread 03/15/2010, 12:41 PM   #228
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed12 View Post
Wow...I didn't realize how you'll have viewing from both sides of that enormous tank. I like that part of the plan.

It is unfortunate that that supporting post is just not in the best spot, eh?

Keep the updates coming!
great observation untamed. It's almost fifty feet of unbroken seascape (I rounded up(48ft) because its easier to say and it sound so cool!). The exciting challenge will be to plan both sides differently enough to warrant the extra work. The island architecture will lend itself to that approach I hope. You guys and gals will be the judge(s). Gals, did I just say gals? Thank god my wife doesn't use a computer. Even then I'm safe because she wouldn't read this anyway.

The post boss, the post!!!! I thought of hiring a team of graduate students to come up with a plausible reason to have that post where it is. Then I figured I'd save some money for fish food and just make something up. Well its been a year now and I don't have anything to offer except the darn thing just had to be there to keep the floor away from the ceiling, or at least that is what my architect told me. I will however eventually come up with some strategy to integrate it somehow into the context and environment. How about a periscope??? OK, OK an intentional web cam stand then.........
When I'm ready for it I will pose the question to the general audience but in the interim lets just pretend it isn't there........just don't tell anybody eh?

Peter

Unread 03/15/2010, 01:48 PM   #229
username in use
Sciencing Daily

You had that post put there so there was something to lean against when staring at your favorite coral didnt you?

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
Unread 03/15/2010, 02:32 PM   #230
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by username in use View Post
You had that post put there so there was something to lean against when staring at your favorite coral didnt you?
and as long as that coral doesn't move!!!! I'm good with it.

Thanks
Peter

Unread 03/15/2010, 03:28 PM   #231
amore169
Registered Member

Wow that staircase is awesome!!!! love those pics.

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallon Starphire Rimless. 8 A360WE Kessils with controller. Sfiligoi Infinity DDE 6X250 light fixture. Bubble King Internal 300 Deluxe. 215 Gallon Oceanic Starphire Ultimate FOWRL. 34 Gallon Solana.
Unread 03/15/2010, 05:37 PM   #232
J.P.Silva
On the right track!!

Peter did you realize that you have best of both worlds. A reef Tank and a indoor saltwater pool. Everything is looking amazing with all that your doing.

Unread 03/15/2010, 05:46 PM   #233
palmer373
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
I will be covering that issue under the chapter "ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROLS" or why not build a house and just drop it on the great barrier reef!!!

Peter
That would be THE best idea every! have a glass floor and build the house on stilts!

Unread 03/15/2010, 05:51 PM   #234
chingchai
Premium Member

Peter. This is the best thread I've ever read.
I love the way you tell the story, not to mention all nice pictures.
Please keep up your excellent work.

P.S. I try to figure out what is your occupation. Is it anything related to antique or maybe real estate?

Unread 03/15/2010, 07:16 PM   #235
dogstar74
Premium Member

It's not a post it's an astigmatism. "What post?" "You should really get your eyes checked man.."

Aaron

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon nano with ATS
Unread 03/15/2010, 07:56 PM   #236
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar74 View Post
It's not a post it's an astigmatism. "What post?" "You should really get your eyes checked man.."

Aaron
You are so close.....so very very close to reality in my world. Brilliant suggestion. Thank you.

Peter

Unread 03/15/2010, 08:10 PM   #237
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
great observation untamed. It's almost fifty feet of unbroken seascape (I rounded up(48ft) because its easier to say and it sound so cool!). The exciting challenge will be to plan both sides differently enough to warrant the extra work. The island architecture will lend itself to that approach I hope. You guys and gals will be the judge(s). Gals, did I just say gals? Thank god my wife doesn't use a computer. Even then I'm safe because she wouldn't read this anyway.

The post boss, the post!!!! I thought of hiring a team of graduate students to come up with a plausible reason to have that post where it is. Then I figured I'd save some money for fish food and just make something up. Well its been a year now and I don't have anything to offer except the darn thing just had to be there to keep the floor away from the ceiling, or at least that is what my architect told me. I will however eventually come up with some strategy to integrate it somehow into the context and environment. How about a periscope??? OK, OK an intentional web cam stand then.........
When I'm ready for it I will pose the question to the general audience but in the interim lets just pretend it isn't there........just don't tell anybody eh?

Peter
I think it is in fact Untamed who has a shallow ledge/table around his tank. The finished look and functionality of it is incredible.

Seeing this post near the tank made me think of his setup. Why not add a nicely finished 2"x12" rim around three sides of that post to act as a sort of bar table. A couple of tall stools and you have a nice place for a couple people to set drinks and enjoy the view. As an alternative with purpose in mind, you could build a nice shallow cabinet around it or around a few sides (floor to ceiling) to store dry goods such as food or supplies.

I am really looking forward to this thread as it progresses. You are off to an incredible start on what promises to be a very spectacular system! Keep the pics coming! I am subscribed!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 03/15/2010, 08:12 PM   #238
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Peter. This is the best thread I've ever read.
I love the way you tell the story, not to mention all nice pictures.
Please keep up your excellent work.

P.S. I try to figure out what is your occupation. Is it anything related to antique or maybe real estate?
Nope, my background is extremely eclectic but my most recent activity was in the software domain.

Thank you for the generous compliments. I hope it is worthwhile as you have been my mentor and you have set a very very high standard.

I hope that you are in a safe and secure environment as our news channels are very taken with events in your country and you are a very important part of this community.

Peter

Unread 03/15/2010, 08:41 PM   #239
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I think it is in fact Untamed who has a shallow ledge/table around his tank. The finished look and functionality of it is incredible.

Seeing this post near the tank made me think of his setup. Why not add a nicely finished 2"x12" rim around three sides of that post to act as a sort of bar table. A couple of tall stools and you have a nice place for a couple people to set drinks and enjoy the view. As an alternative with purpose in mind, you could build a nice shallow cabinet around it or around a few sides (floor to ceiling) to store dry goods such as food or supplies.

I am really looking forward to this thread as it progresses. You are off to an incredible start on what promises to be a very spectacular system! Keep the pics coming! I am subscribed!
Thank you for your suggestion and your generous compliment. I have a challenge with how exactly to handle the surrounding environment. I know this is still a work in progress and its a mess but you can see that I have to be very carefull with the various points of view. I have an unusual desk that I like and my wife hates that I want to position carefully. There's going to be a great deal of trial and error.....yet to come. We have a loooong way to go!!!!!

Peter

Unread 03/15/2010, 08:49 PM   #240
roktsintst
Registered Member

Holy Sh#t!!!!

That is unbelievable! Great Job...

Current Tank Info: 300 AGE Starfire SPS Reef*75g frag tank lit w/ T5's* Deltec 902*ACIII*4 400 Radium's*4-160 vho's*GEO 818 CA RX*ReefTek Kalk RX*Dart Return on manifold to a wavy sea*57 watt uv*HammerHead w/ OceansMotion
Unread 03/15/2010, 08:52 PM   #241
Eric the half-bee
Passer of gasses

Peter, you have a beautiful home. I love the wood flooring and underlighting around the tankbase. Your landscaping is serious eyecandy and makes me pine for our home when we lived in MN. The tanks OK too...

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. – Barry Goldwater

Current Tank Info: Semi agressive reef-400 gal.-8 tangs,2 rabbit fish,zebra moray,blue ribbon eel,Janss' pipe,pair bangaiis,wrasse,tomato clown,maroon clown
Unread 03/15/2010, 09:02 PM   #242
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Nope, my background is extremely eclectic but my most recent activity was in the software domain.

Thank you for the generous compliments. I hope it is worthwhile as you have been my mentor and you have set a very very high standard.

I hope that you are in a safe and secure environment as our news channels are very taken with events in your country and you are a very important part of this community.

Peter
Peter. Thank you for your concern.
The situation in Bangkok is quite normal.
Reporters always make it look critical.
We just hope the protestors will disappear in couple days.
They kill the traffic!!!!

Unread 03/15/2010, 09:19 PM   #243
erics3000
Registered Member

Wow. That lighting is beautiful.

(Red House for my 300 display 600 system)

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon system with 300 display
Unread 03/15/2010, 09:23 PM   #244
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Peter. Thank you for your concern.
The situation in Bangkok is quite normal.
Reporters always make it look critical.
We just hope the protestors will disappear in couple days.
They kill the traffic!!!!
Lets hope it settles down.....we have some wine to share in the near future .....Thailand, England and two more countries yet to be chosen. I get to choose the first two Grand Masters........The Reef Central membership gets to chose the other two. More on this process later.

Peter

Unread 03/15/2010, 09:26 PM   #245
akidnamedchad
Registered Member

Best build by far in my book.

Unread 03/15/2010, 09:27 PM   #246
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics3000 View Post
Wow. That lighting is beautiful.
Thank you eric, its the same high intensity LED system used to light up the CN Tower in Toronto. My challenge is a little easier, I don't have to light up the city........just one house.

Peter

Its actually one of three different systems.....more on that later.

Unread 03/15/2010, 09:30 PM   #247
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akidnamedchad View Post
Best build by far in my book.
Thank you but it's waaaaay to early for that. That's not false modesty, it's just a fact.

Peter

Unread 03/15/2010, 09:36 PM   #248
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktsintst View Post
Holy Sh#t!!!!

That is unbelievable! Great Job...
The truth? Vision, planning, discipline, execution and a ton of good luck. This should be there for all of us. Ok, Ok, most of us.

Thanks

Peter

Unread 03/15/2010, 09:39 PM   #249
iluzhun
Registered Member

Peter, Your build is my wet dream( pun very much intended. I love the way the space is coming together. Especially the latest picture with the wood floor. It is hard to believe this is a basement space. I am awaiting more with baited breath.

Chris

There are times when the only choices you have left are bad ones

That's not a unicorn.. It's a donkey with a plunger stuck to it's face

Current Tank Info: filled with salt water
Unread 03/15/2010, 09:55 PM   #250
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric the half-bee View Post
Peter, you have a beautiful home. I love the wood flooring and underlighting around the tankbase. Your landscaping is serious eyecandy and makes me pine for our home when we lived in MN. The tanks OK too...
Thanks Eric, every morning when I wake up I think I've stolen someone else's dream........we are so fortunate to live in this time.

Peter

Closed Thread