Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/29/2009, 10:10 AM   #1
euromomtx
Registered Member

Jim that's great info! Thanks so much

Current Tank Info: 215g Caribbean Inspired Reef with Shadowbox
euromomtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 11:17 AM   #2
euromomtx
Registered Member

material for splash lens

I'd like to add a splash lens to my 6ft T5 fixture.
The maker said it doesn't need a splash lens because the end caps are waterproof etc. but it's so close to the water surface that it gets salt splashed on and it's a pain to take that heavy thing off, clean the bulbs and relfectors and put it back on.
I don't want a glass top over my tank because of overheating and limiting air exchange.
I'd really just like to put a thin, light weight sheet of something under the light fixture to make cleaning easier.
he main criteria of course is will it let UV light through.
So does plexi glass filter light? Or can I use plexi?

Unread 09/29/2009, 11:39 AM   #3
stugray
Premium Member

See if you can use the protective tubes that are sold to cover fluorescent light bulbs.

They are 84" long ~2" diameter & are $4 at HD.

you could probably find a way to make them work & even cover the endcaps

Stu

Well, We KNOW GOD exists, but for US to exist without a GOD is preposterous….Umm wait a minute…. Sounds a bit circular to me…

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. display w/80 gal mud/caulerpa sump. Basement sump w/ LED Grow Light,Gravity fed Reeflo200 skimmer w/ ORCA Recirc, DIY calc reactor & kalk stirrer. Inline plumbed 75 Gal frag/settling tank.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 01:01 PM   #4
arredondojason
Registered Member

i personally think they block out some of the light i just raised mine to about 6" above the water and not had a problem.

arredondojason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 02:02 PM   #5
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromomtx View Post
I'd like to add a splash lens to my 6ft T5 fixture.
The maker said it doesn't need a splash lens because the end caps are waterproof etc. but it's so close to the water surface that it gets salt splashed on and it's a pain to take that heavy thing off, clean the bulbs and relfectors and put it back on.
I don't want a glass top over my tank because of overheating and limiting air exchange.
I'd really just like to put a thin, light weight sheet of something under the light fixture to make cleaning easier.
he main criteria of course is will it let UV light through.
So does plexi glass filter light? Or can I use plexi?
The minimum "safe" distance for T5 lighting w/o a spash shield is 4". This avoids most splashing incidents. If it does not, then raising the fixture some is better than adding a splash shield, unless you have good active cooling the fixture. With a splash shield, you can place the lamps on the tank. (An advantage to T5 lighting)

As for the shield material, I see that glass is a better suited material than acrylic, due to the way acrylic behaves with moisture on one side, and dry heat on the other-- becoming U shaped to a degree. A thin sheet of tempered glass is best (1/8".) Anything used will block some light.

As far as UV radiation goes, this is not something you really want in your tank. And the reason that ALL double ended Metal Halide systems require a glass shield to block the UV radiation. T5 does emit UV radiation (this is what causes the phosphors in the lamp emit light), but the levels a far lower than MH, and generally are not an issue. UV is radiation emitted below 400nm. Visible light is between 400nm - 780nm. O3 Actinic is in the 420nm range.

Regards,

Jim

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 03:10 PM   #6
euromomtx
Registered Member

Jim that's great info! Thanks so much