Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2010, 06:51 PM   #1
cubsfan7667
Registered Member

Wink water changes

ok i am wonderign about water changes.

How much water do you take out and ho often??
I heard 20% and someone else said 50% i have a 40 gal breeder with 15 gal sump. And i heard i do it every 2 weeks.

Also do i put the new water in giant bucket and add the salt there or do i put the water in the tank then add the salt to the tank???

I have a 13gal bucket type thing so should i put the water on there then add the right amount of salt??

give me ur opinoins and everything you know on water changed would help very much ty

cubsfan7667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 06:53 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I wouldn't do more than 20% in one shot except in emergencies. 10-20% every other weeks seems to be fine for more people. I did 20% once a month, and that seemed fine, too.

Always add the salt to the water, but never add salt to a tank. You should be fine with putting the RO/DI water into a bucket, and then adding the salt.

Unread 01/18/2010, 07:00 PM   #3
cubsfan7667
Registered Member

ok thnxs for the feedback

cubsfan7667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 07:44 PM   #4
one clownfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I wouldn't do more than 20% in one shot except in emergencies. 10-20% every other weeks seems to be fine for more people. I did 20% once a month, and that seemed fine, too.

Always add the salt to the water, but never add salt to a tank. You should be fine with putting the RO/DI water into a bucket, and then adding the salt.
^1 just make sure the water is the same temp. as the DT

one clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 07:52 PM   #5
mmedeiros2
Registered Member

Make sure the ph is also the same.

Mike

Current Tank Info: 75 gal. / Sump / Skimmer / 65 Lbs. LR / 2 Cleaner Shrimp / Firefish / Bangi Cardinal / Pearly Jawfish / 3 - Yellow Clown Gobies / Yellow Wrasse / Hermits
mmedeiros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Shane Hoffman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan7667 View Post
ok i am wonderign about water changes.

How much water do you take out and ho often??Either 10% every 2 weeks or 20% once a month
I heard 20% and someone else said 50% i have a 40 gal breeder with 15 gal sump. And i heard i do it every 2 weeks.

Also do i put the new water in giant bucket and add the salt there or do i put the water in the tank then add the salt to the tank??? Mix your water and salt in a bucket outside of the aquarium. It is imperative that you fill the bucket with water then add the correct amount of salt to match the water in the bucket. If you add water to salt when you first add the water there is so much salt for the small amount of water it causes saturation issuesI have a 13gal bucket type thing so should i put the water on there then add the right amount of salt?? Yes

give me ur opinoins and everything you know on water changed would help very much ty
IMO water changes are by far the most important thing to be religious about. It is also the most laborious so it is often neglected. You will read posts where people say they have these amazing aquariums and never change water. Success in this hobby isnt measured in months or even a couple years. It is nature in motion in your aquarium. Nature doesnt happen fast. Water changes are a scientifically proven method to successfully maintain an aquarium long term. Do every thing you can to insure the water being added is the same temp and salinity as the display tank.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon glass with 20 gallon sump, 175lbs of coraline covered live rock, EuroReef skimmer rated for 250gal, 25watt Aqua UV sterilizer, Fluval FX5, Hamilton 3x250watt MH, 160 watt Blue actinic....Mixed reef
Shane Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 08:57 PM   #7
mstwell
Registered Member

Whatever water change routine you decide on (10% once a week, 20% every two weeks, 40% less often, etc) set yourself a schedule and stick to it. It will save you a lot of problems down the road. Great water quality and careful observation cannot be replaced by fancy equipment and neglect.

mstwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 10:56 PM   #8
DC_40gallon
Registered Member

I have a 40 breeder and I do a 5-10 gallon weekly with ro/di water and red sea coral pro salt.

DC_40gallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

I change 1% daily, automatically and slowly (takes about 1 h total spread over 4 x 15 minute periods each day, even while I'm sleeping ). No need to do anything manually (aside from making a batch of new water once a month or so) or match anything in the new water to the tank.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 10:12 AM   #10
julie180
Registered Member

Just make sure the temp and sg of the change out water match that of your tank.

julie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 10:18 AM   #11
tommyb
Registered Member

I do about 10% about every 2 weeks.

tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 10:32 AM   #12
pudelt32
Registered Member

I've always been told regardless of the volume of the tank always do a 20% water change every 2 weeks. This can obviously vary based on your own personal feelings about water changes but I've gone as long as 6 wks with out doing a water change and saw no change in any coral whatsoever. Just like everyone else has said it personal preference but regular water changes do eliminate a lot of potential problems IMO.

pudelt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 11:33 AM   #13
john32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Hoffman View Post
IMO so it is often You will read posts where people say they have these amazing aquariums and never change water. Success in this hobby isnt measured in months or even a couple years. It is nature in motion in your aquarium. .
My LFS is one of those amazing mixed reefs that never change water and his has been up and running great for over 5 years. At what point would we have to say his method is successful? I have been questioning his method for a year now but his success speaks volumes. I have watched his corals and fish grow for the last couple of years and have never seen any problems with his tank.

john32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 12:25 PM   #14
Larah
Registered Member

I do 20% every two weeks, temp, salinity & Ph are the same as the DT and I haven't had any problems.. So far ;-)

Larah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 12:44 PM   #15
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

My LFS is one of those amazing mixed reefs that never change water and his has been up and running great for over 5 years.

I don't know if that is just a dispaly tank or a sales tank, but many LFS tanks get a lot of water changes as a consequence of new organisms coming in and old ones going out with associated tank water in the bag.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 06:47 PM   #16
john32
Registered Member

No its just a display tank nothing is sold out of it. It has been setup like this for 5 years.

john32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 07:10 PM   #17
tspors
Registered Member

They key is consistancy. Pick the % and the timeline and stick with it. The tank will acclimate to what you do, just be consistant don;t change. Several comments above all say the same.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gal Oceanic, 30g Sump, Gen-X PCX-150 2250 gph, Red Sea Clasic Turbo Skimmer, 18w Turbo Twist UV, Ocean Clear Filter w/live rock, Several Buckets,
tspors is offline   Reply With Quote