Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/16/2010, 10:42 PM   #326
ReefPug
Registered Member

Too funny! The fish always win in my book!

Unread 03/16/2010, 11:22 PM   #327
scaryperson27
Moved On

Wow, this tank is beautiful

Unread 03/16/2010, 11:32 PM   #328
motopsycho
Registered Member

Wow, what a build Peter.

Simply Amazing.

Current Tank Info: In-Wall Marine (est. 12/24/2005) - 180G (72x24x24)
Unread 03/17/2010, 12:18 AM   #329
HaloStalker
Registered Member

................................................wow.

.................................................Super Fantastic JOB.

..................................................i will go to sleep now and dream of being in ur shoes. night.

P.S> im still totally speechless i get this way everytime i read these fantastic threads and how people actually give birth to their and my dreams. I only Hope to get a little close to being in heaven as YOU Amazing Reefers.

Wish you all the best of Luck Peter!

Unread 03/17/2010, 01:42 AM   #330
gacon711
Registered Member

very impressive build.

Current Tank Info: 280g reef system, 75g FW
Unread 03/17/2010, 02:27 AM   #331
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post

Peter
Very impressive build Peter!

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Unread 03/17/2010, 03:20 AM   #332
swissgaurd
Registered Member

Quote:
Vic, here is a better shot (sort of) of the layers. There's groves in the concrete then a sort of rubber mat with ball bearings (not really ball bearings but it looks like it),then plywood, then another rubber mat and then the chestnut....... the design is such that the threat of any water....salty or otherwise NEVER sees the flooring.

and the red wire is foor the radiant heat which is only under the marble.........

Peter
Thanks peter i was gonna ask if you had a shot of the floor being put togethor

vic

Unread 03/17/2010, 07:48 AM   #333
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryperson27 View Post
Wow, this tank is beautiful
Thanks scaryperson, welcome to our community.

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 07:53 AM   #334
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopsycho View Post
Wow, what a build Peter.

Simply Amazing.
Thanks motopsycho and welcome.......looks like you are into a significant undertaking yourself........

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 07:56 AM   #335
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloStalker View Post

................................................wow.

.................................................Super Fantastic JOB.

..................................................i will go to sleep now and dream of being in ur shoes. night.

P.S> im still totally speechless i get this way everytime i read these fantastic threads and how people actually give birth to their and my dreams. I only Hope to get a little close to being in heaven as YOU Amazing Reefers.

Thank you master chief! Hopefully we might give some of the dreamers some structure for their own imagineering.......

Peter
Wish you all the best of Luck Peter!

Unread 03/17/2010, 07:58 AM   #336
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacon711 View Post
very impressive build.
Thanks Gacon.......lots more to come.

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 08:01 AM   #337
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Very impressive build Peter!
Thank you very much Brian. I was going to say welcome to the community but since you are the community .......Thanks for the support and opportunity to share!!!!

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 08:18 AM   #338
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissgaurd View Post
Thanks peter i was gonna ask if you had a shot of the floor being put togethor

vic
The glow at the end of the hall at the foot of the stairs is the entrance to the fish room or the portal to the alternate universe.........

and if you stop, close your eyes, and click you heels three times ............

But that's a different thread..........

back to the salt mines, I have work to do.........

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 08:37 AM   #339
nineball
Registered Member

Conventional wisdom.........

I have a number of chillers but so far only one dedicated to the main display tank. Without starting a debate if possible and as I begin to plan around various single points of failure..........

How should I place the second chiller:

On the shelf as a ready spare?

In line with the spare passively standing on standby?

Run the two of them together at 50% all the time?

Run the two of them together at 100%?

Before anyone asks brand names etc. I am very interested in the rational for the positioning before we get into discussions about which brands are best. We'll get there but lets deal with the science first. I'm sort of hoping the answer is logical and endorsed as an obvious best practice by most in this community.................but that isn't gonna happen is it?

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 08:45 AM   #340
JonnyD91
Registered Member

In line with the spare passively standing on standby
Use the controler to kick in as a failsafe.
pending the 1 can cool the tank on a regular basis

O and by the way how did you get in my brain and build my dream house
Cause if I could vision one it would be yours

Current Tank Info: 90G Reef - 2 MP40's - Apex Controlled - Reef Octopus PRO-SSS-DC1 Skimmer - 6 Bulb ATI Sunpower
Unread 03/17/2010, 08:46 AM   #341
davidchmaus
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a number of chillers but so far only one dedicated to the main display tank. Without starting a debate if possible and as I begin to plan around various single points of failure..........

How should I place the second chiller:

On the shelf as a ready spare?

In line with the spare passively standing on standby?

Run the two of them together at 50% all the time?

Run the two of them together at 100%?

Before anyone asks brand names etc. I am very interested in the rational for the positioning before we get into discussions about which brands are best. We'll get there but lets deal with the science first. I'm sort of hoping the answer is logical and endorsed as an obvious best practice by most in this community.................but that isn't gonna happen is it?

Peter
My thinking is that you do it like a generator and a computer facility. The second unit would be in line and you would have it tied into your controller. Once a month you would take your main chiller offline to test your controllers ability to have the second unit take over and you would be actually testing the second unit.

On another note. What material are you using on the side of the stand and the rim?

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Fowlr 24 Gallon Cube Rimless Reef

Last edited by davidchmaus; 03/17/2010 at 08:55 AM.
Unread 03/17/2010, 08:48 AM   #342
cloakerpoked
Registered Member

While I know you don't want to get into the specific equipment or not, to give a true answer, we'd need to know what type of lighting you are planning on using, how much lighting, and the type of chiller to determine whether it is reasonable to expect that your chiller could overcome the heat being added by the lights. That having been said:

I could see a reason for doing it either way. As long as you have a plan for where you could put the second chiller in-line if needed, I don't think it strictly needs to be placed there now. That's just one more piece of equipment for you to maintain twice a year. Its not as though you'll have everything in place, and be popping corals in the next day, so you'll have plenty of time to "test run" everything and to see if heat control is too much of an issue or not. One thing you do want to think about, it seems to me that if you did run 2 chillers, it would be advantageous to run them on two separate returns to the two different ends of the tank. This would not only even out the distribution a bit, but would maximize the efficiency of the chillers. Running them in-line right next to each other would seem (to me) to limit the benefits that you get from the 2nd one.

Hadn't thought of the two previous posts to this, and they bring up excellent points about the fail-safe. That would be worth the maintaining to me, so I'd go that way.

That's my 2 pennies.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon cube SPS/LPS reef
Unread 03/17/2010, 09:04 AM   #343
huskerreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Amphetamines Huskerreef, Its hell on fish but incredible on builders. They haven't figured it out yet but as long as they keep asking for more water this thing gets done at light speed(no pun intended).

Thanks by the way, you are too generous as this would NEVER have happened if Chingchai hadn't had the courage to do it in the first place. Something about his build was soooo qualitatively different that it reached out, grabbed me and wouldn't let go. I have never been able to find his peer on this forum or any other.

Peter
Thats what I was getting at, the way both of you tell the story and the sheer awesomeness of the subject matter makes for an entertaining thread to follow. I would agree Chingchai is an inspiration and his build thread is something never seen before with the detail, responses to every question and or comment, pics galore of the process and state of the art equipment, not to mention the finished product is a piece of artwork. Your thread my friend is following closely in his foot steps. Both of you will have an influence and inspire others to follow. Keep up the good work.

Current Tank Info: 620 Mixed Reef, 240 Acan Lord, 90 Zoanthid...I think that plenty for now
Unread 03/17/2010, 09:05 AM   #344
dogstar74
Premium Member

I'd probably run two in line, one set slightly higher temp than the other so it only kicks on when needed, and a third sitting on the shelf to swap out if one needs to go with repairs.

Aaron

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon nano with ATS
Unread 03/17/2010, 09:36 AM   #345
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidchmaus View Post
My thinking is that you do it like a generator and a computer facility. The second unit would be in line and you would have it tied into your controller. Once a month you would take your main chiller offline to test your controllers ability to have the second unit take over and you would be actually testing the second unit.

On another note. What material are you using on the side of the stand and the rim?
I do understand data centers and that was my inclination...........I am also sensing a consensus which is in itself rare and reassuring. Thanks for taking the time to respond so fast.

The top cabinet is hard 'Canadian" maple with a stain to match the cabinetry below and a hard marine grade lacquer to finish. I do not want any toxicity fumes or otherwise to be an issue. The reason for the staining is to carry the visual around the room. That's the architect and my wife's dream castle. I just pay the rent!!!!!

The bottom is a drywall base which can be destroyed easily or quickly in an emergency and easily replaced.

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 09:44 AM   #346
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyD91 View Post
In line with the spare passively standing on standby
Use the controler to kick in as a failsafe.
pending the 1 can cool the tank on a regular basis

O and by the way how did you get in my brain and build my dream house
Cause if I could vision one it would be yours
Thanks Jonny, this looks to be the best practice so that's whats goona happen as far as the chillers go.

As far as living in your head..............

Thanks for the compliment, in some manner I truthfully feel like I'm sitting on the sidelines with you all and enjoying this as much as you appear to be. This is great fun.

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 09:44 AM   #347
amore169
Registered Member

Wow there's no words to describe how beautiful this house and tank are going to be!!

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallon Starphire Rimless. 8 A360WE Kessils with controller. Sfiligoi Infinity DDE 6X250 light fixture. Bubble King Internal 300 Deluxe. 215 Gallon Oceanic Starphire Ultimate FOWRL. 34 Gallon Solana.
Unread 03/17/2010, 09:48 AM   #348
Claudio D
Registered Member

Hi

amazing build

regarding your chiller question

I would use for your size a CHiller barrel with 2 independent titanium coils with individual compressors unit, but only one "water" connection, you could run your compressors units out of your house , avoiding noise and heat, and run them compressors independently.

I personally have my 660 gal sistem In Venezuela, A very hot country with a 2 ton barrel.

Your main concern is maintenance of the compressor units, and your controler will use them alternatively, if there is a malfunction, you will have plenty of time to fix one unit while the other keeps the load

tha is my opinion for such a beautifull set up

regards and thanks for inspiring us

you may check tis link http://www.swwilson.com/cooling_system, I bought mine from them and I think they could custom build a double coil unit

Claudio

Caracas Venezuela

Unread 03/17/2010, 10:02 AM   #349
JonnyD91
Registered Member

Peter is the tank on your main living area. I got thrown off by the kitchen in that room. I was under the assumption that its was in the basement, due to the staircase going up 2 levels.

Current Tank Info: 90G Reef - 2 MP40's - Apex Controlled - Reef Octopus PRO-SSS-DC1 Skimmer - 6 Bulb ATI Sunpower
Unread 03/17/2010, 10:04 AM   #350
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;16786350
Thats what I was getting at, the way both of you tell the story and the sheer awesomeness of the subject matter makes for an entertaining thread to follow. I would agree Chingchai is an inspiration and his build thread is something never seen before with the detail, responses to every question and or comment, pics galore of the process and state of the art equipment, not to mention the finished product is a piece of artwork. Your thread my friend is following closely in his foot steps. Both of you will have an influence and inspire others to follow. Keep up the good work.
Thanks huskerreef, it makes the decision to follow Ching's discipline seem the right thing to do. I do wish I had the graphic skills he had access to as the visual planning in such detail was like having a 3D set of blueprints to follow. Anyone who followed his thread closely would have been in awe with the phenomenal consistency between the plan and the final product.

Also he broke from the pack in the support systems. Everyone that lives in this community can't help focusing on the brand and the machine. It's part of the culture. What Chingchai did to move the marble further was to make the setting and integration as 'pretty' and engaging as the display tank itself. In fact it took many of us a long time to catch on that his 'softie' tank was in fact part of his support system as an embedded display tank in his 'fish room'. and with all the incredible results he has achieved in a short time span he managed to do it and NOT look like the bottom of the Titanic. In many respects it looks better esthetically than the space station.

So my support environment is going to pursue his standard if its humanly possible.

Peter

Closed Thread