Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2017, 11:26 AM   #26
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySchulz View Post
lol I'm way over my original budget. There's so many things I didn't factor in.
I here thats common, heck I spent way more than anticipated even on my supposedly simple 75g setup.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Clowning_Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 11:28 AM   #27
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I don't see the Mission Impossible/Tom Cruise style harness for you to hang over the tank ....... Unless, of course, you are 8 feet tall OH, awesome looking tank BTW.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 11:39 AM   #28
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I don't see the Mission Impossible/Tom Cruise style harness for you to hang over the tank ....... Unless, of course, you are 8 feet tall OH, awesome looking tank BTW.
who needs to hang when you can be one and swim with the fishies daily...

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w

Last edited by Clowning_Around; 08/22/2017 at 11:58 AM.
Unread 08/22/2017, 11:51 AM   #29
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:

Lol I'm not 8 feet tall but I did have to bust out the 8 foot ladder to reach in. My little step stool doesn't cut it. Actually my wife was literally just nagging me as to why it's still not out of the living room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaySchulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 11:57 AM   #30
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
I don't see the Mission Impossible/Tom Cruise style harness for you to hang over the tank ....... Unless, of course, you are 8 feet tall
There's a lot of truth in that statement...my last tank was 8'x 40"X 27"h... and was on a high stand...very hard to work on and after starting to aquascape, I emptied tank and rebuilt stand 6" lower... My new tank is 6'x5', stand will not be over 36" and I will have supports built in side walls (of room) to allow a 'bridge' over the tank so that I can work from the top down.

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 02:20 PM   #31
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Slightly Wide 500 Gallon Reef Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
There's a lot of truth in that statement...my last tank was 8'x 40"X 27"h... and was on a high stand...very hard to work on and after starting to aquascape, I emptied tank and rebuilt stand 6" lower... My new tank is 6'x5', stand will not be over 36" and I will have supports built in side walls (of room) to allow a 'bridge' over the tank so that I can work from the top down.

I know some maintenance tasks will be a pain in the *** but I also don't have a fish room and so everything has to go under the tank and space is definitely limited. In that regard the higher height of the stand is definitely necessary. There will be a fish room in the next house I buy because now I have to find space for water changing set up and qt tanks, etc.

Your tank is pretty dam close to this dimensions wise. I'm curious how you scaped your tank.

Last edited by JaySchulz; 08/22/2017 at 02:25 PM.
Unread 08/22/2017, 02:24 PM   #32
JaySchulz
Registered Member

@Ca1ore you have a Modular Marine overflow on your tank correct?

I think I remember seeing that. If so do you have a rubber gasket between the bulkheads outside overflow box and the nut to secure it. Obviously there is a gasket inside the actual tank where the pass through holes are but it seems that a second gasket would be necessary and it didn't come with anymore.

Unread 08/22/2017, 02:39 PM   #33
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
@Ca1ore you have a Modular Marine overflow on your tank correct?

I think I remember seeing that. If so do you have a rubber gasket between the bulkheads outside overflow box and the nut to secure it. Obviously there is a gasket inside the actual tank where the pass through holes are but it seems that a second gasket would be necessary and it didn't come with anymore.
I do, yes. Still dry though Gasket under the nut inside the rear box is not necessary. The gasket between the rear of the tank and the rear box is absolutely necessary, as is the gasket inside the tank (under the bulkhead flange).

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 08/22/2017, 03:18 PM   #34
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:
I do, yes. Still dry though Gasket under the nut inside the rear box is not necessary. The gasket between the rear of the tank and the rear box is absolutely necessary, as is the gasket inside the tank (under the bulkhead flange).
Correct but more importantly the gasket under the nut is actually a bad thing. It actually makes the connection more susceptible to a leak. I know many want to over compensate designs in hobbies and then those ideas start floating around and become recommendations but sometimes to much of a good thing is bad, as in this case so to speak. You need to understand The mechanics of what's going on here. Hopefully this comes across and i didn't butcher it yup too much. The nut is simply pulling the flange/assembly which is already watertight/ one with the threaded cylindrical thru body. It pulls it so that it squeezes the gasket enough such that it compresses and seals too the glass, the next series is a repeat of thus sandwhiching effect but on the last position (negative side) theres no thing to seal given its already sealed on the positive side. The nut while tightened engages via threads it will not seal off to the body of the bulkhead. Placing a gasket behind its shoulder even if tightened to the point of squishing it will still not result in a true water tight connection given theres no seal at the body despite if you hapen to get it tight enough at the glass face (which by the way of thou do you are overtightening and risk breakage and or leaks again) Do what actually happens again assuming you are not over tightening, just the opposite occurs. It will restrict the nut from spinning sooner with that spongy rubber gasket in the way resulting in a loser overall connection even possibly a leak at the other seals by having used it.....

Unread 08/22/2017, 03:53 PM   #35
JaySchulz
Registered Member

@ca1ore & clowning_around

This is exactly what I needed to know. The bulkheads only came with one gasket each and I knew that I needed one inside the tank but was pretty certain there should be a second one. I just didn't know if it needed to be between rear overflow box & nut or between back of tank glass and overflow box. I also know not to over tighten. And by the way you didn't butcher it all bud. I appreciate both of you.

Thank you guys.

Unread 08/22/2017, 03:56 PM   #36
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:

This is exactly what I needed to know. The bulkheads only came with one gasket each and I knew that I needed one inside the tank but was pretty certain there should be a second one. I just didn't know if it needed to be between rear overflow box & nut or between back of tank glass and overflow box. I also know not to over tighten. And by the way you didn't butcher it all bud. I appreciate both of you.

Thank you guys.

Your Welcome

Unread 08/22/2017, 03:59 PM   #37
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Well good news. I was just emailed that my Bubble King Deluxe is on its way from Germany. Aquarium Specialty should receive it sometime next week.

Unread 08/22/2017, 04:00 PM   #38
bk.
Registered Member

I'm dead. This is ridiculously cool.

bk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 04:20 PM   #39
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk. View Post
I'm dead. This is ridiculously cool.
Haha thanks bud. I'm not going to lie, I have a big smile on my face everytime I see the tank.

Unread 08/22/2017, 04:30 PM   #40
albano
SALTWATER since '73

sorry, wrong pic

Last edited by albano; 08/22/2017 at 04:37 PM.
Unread 08/22/2017, 04:35 PM   #41
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Just wondering why you doubled up the second 2x10 on the right?

Unread 08/22/2017, 05:00 PM   #42
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Just wondering why you doubled up the second 2x10 on the right?

The 3/4 plywood was seamed right there and I wanted the two boards to have a solid contact point on each edge of the 2x10 instead of splitting one 2x10

You can see the seam in the photo.

I'm also planning on getting a DaStaCo Calcium Reactor and the one for my tank size is I believe 20"L x 14"W x 42"T. That particular span could not be in the same increments to fit the calcium reactor in that section.

I know that glass tanks are distributed to the corners of the stand and the middle spans are not that important, but at a minimum it can't hurt and i think the added rigidity is probably a good thing.

Unread 08/22/2017, 09:42 PM   #43
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:

Thank you guys.

Is your MM overflow one of the newer designs, with the removable weir? If so, then the single gasket should go between the outside back of the tank and the rear box. Since the mechanism by which the internal skimmer box is attached to the bulkheads is not completely water tight, there is actually no reason for a gasket under the flange.

Unread 08/23/2017, 06:47 AM   #44
dimasv
Registered Member

Amazing build!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Unread 08/23/2017, 08:14 AM   #45
Redcar802
Registered Member

Wow that's a dope tank bro

Redcar802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 10:46 AM   #46
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
Is your MM overflow one of the newer designs, with the removable weir? If so, then the single gasket should go between the outside back of the tank and the rear box. Since the mechanism by which the internal skimmer box is attached to the bulkheads is not completely water tight, there is actually no reason for a gasket under the flange.

Interesting. Yea it is the new design. Yea I just saw another thread where you and Modular Marine were discussing this.

Not saying it's wrong but having no gasket between the inside glass and flange seems weird. With no gasket water will go into the pass through holes. The gasket I guess will stop any water leaks though. Is there a problem with using 2 gaskets?

Unread 08/23/2017, 11:49 AM   #47
JaySchulz
Registered Member

@dimasv @redcar802 thanks guys.

Unread 08/23/2017, 01:06 PM   #48
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
With no gasket water will go into the pass through holes. The gasket I guess will stop any water leaks though. Is there a problem with using 2 gaskets?
With the new design, water is going to seep through the bulkheads anyhow (at least as understand it based on not actually having seen one of the removable designs), so I think the logic is that the gasket is therefore unnecessary. It's actually the reason I chose the older design where the bulkheads do seal (though the skimmer box not removable) - otherwise I think you have to size the sump based on the possibility, at least, that the tank can overflow down to the point of the drain pipes in the external box. I see no issues with using an extra gasket though. Just don't use one directly under the nut as it tends to deform making proper tightening more difficult. The gasket between the tank and the rear box will prevent any water form leaking out of the system.

Unread 08/23/2017, 02:21 PM   #49
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

Whoa, that is WIDE!

Great choice, great placement.

Tagging along.

BZOFIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 08:08 PM   #50
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

That's Friggen cool! Subbed