Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2017, 11:23 PM   #1
werd
Registered Member

suncoral??? how do you guys feed them?

I've always liked the sun coral but have been scared to get any because they are non photo. Im just wanting some ideas of the best food and ways to feed them?
Thanks yall

werd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 11:49 PM   #2
Redland
Registered Member

They accept a wide range of foods (including pellets, frozen, even flakes). I either target feed with a pipet (but clean up crew and fish try and take food from the coral) or briefly take coral out of the tank and feed in a small container of water (which was better for tank water quality).

Redland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 10:35 AM   #3
C.Eymann
Cnidaria lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redland View Post
They accept a wide range of foods (including pellets, frozen, even flakes). I either target feed with a pipet (but clean up crew and fish try and take food from the coral) or briefly take coral out of the tank and feed in a small container of water (which was better for tank water quality).
+1 remove the coral every waterchange to a bucket of old water, squirt in some thawed mysis juice to initiate a feeding response, a few mins later it shoukd be open and ready to spot feed each mouth, also you can cut a 2liter bottle in half and place top over coral when feeding in tank with baster and prevent scavengers from taking food.
Another thing about tubastrea that many overlook is lack of flow, these corals love flow, even laminar flow.

Either way, it will be a long term challenge in a typical mixed reef to keep this coral.

Look into Dendrophyllia (firecracker coral) it has a similar appearance, though bigger polyps, it is much easier to keep happy. Blanophyllia is another coral that is similar in appearance to Tubastrea but for still being a NPS it us also much easier to keep.

hope this helps

Current Tank Info: 80gal build in the works
C.Eymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 09:33 PM   #4
PhamtonBlue
Registered Member

I feed mine mysis shrimps

PhamtonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 05:40 AM   #5
GregE
Registered Member

I always hated removing mine when I first got into nps. In fact I lost a few being too rough. So I’d recommend 1) putting it in a location that’s easily accessible to you. 2) using a long skinny dropper and feed each head when the flow is off. Or 3) make a sun coral tank and broadcast feed.

GregE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 10:26 AM   #6
noy
Registered Member

Feed using a pipet (like the one from TLF). Some high protein foods mixed with brine shrimp (they react to the brine).
I would only take it out of the water for initial feeding if you are concerned about tissue recession. Its not a long term solution.
One thing I found to work - is to put direct flow on the coral - i.e. point a small powerhead at it in the tank. Once you get it feeding in the tank - feed it regularly at a specific time (usually after lights out) - and it will begin to open regularly for feeding even w/o the powerhead.

noy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2017, 02:07 PM   #7
Jamesmost
Registered Member

Mysis with a baster here

Jamesmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2017, 05:48 PM   #8
rjjr1963
Registered Member

Brine shrimp with a pipet every other day. I placed mine near the surface so it's easy to feed each mouth without fouling the tank.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 08:09 PM   #9
Jsilverman18
Registered Member

I saw a couple videos on YouTube how people take a soda bottle cut it in half and use a turkey Bastet and fill up the dome with the food. This way no other animals get to it.

Jsilverman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2017, 12:09 AM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have a few dendros. Bigger heads, so they'll take full sized mysis. I keep them in my frag tank with no thieves.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 08:57 PM   #11
BeachBumm
Registered Bumm

Mine love mysis , just use a pipette and slowly release close to them with no water flow happening and watch them eat and get fat , See my avatar !

BeachBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 11:06 AM   #12
taricha
Registered Member

I usually do mysis & cyclops, squirt at the colony and they handle business.
But I pulled pods from my chaeto to feed the tank. Found a huge one. wanted to see how the colony would handle a large strong amphipod.

Took it 20 minutes to engulf. Big meal.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 10:09 AM   #13
kevin21
Registered Member

can cut a soda bottle in half, and squirt in the food with a turkey baster through the top. Just need to place the cut bottle over the coral...good way to know the food will get to the coral and no where else

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote