Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2018, 07:11 PM   #1
jessipoof
Registered Member

How can I get started selling/trading coral?

My corals are very mature, and they have outgrown my tank! I have a huge mauve chalice I was going to break up a little because it's the size of a large dinner plate, a bunch of green trumpet coral, and 3 different colors of hammer coral that are growing like crazy.
Since I have only 2 fish at the moment, I was thinking I could start to trade coral for fish, and perhaps make some money back from when I had to buy all the quarantine gear for the great ich-ageddon of 2017.
How do I go about starting this?

Current Tank Info: 30 gal reef tank and 220 gal reef tank
jessipoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 08:20 PM   #2
rocsec1
Registered Member

Best place to get your start is at the coral swaps. The Lear swap is coming up soon.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 08:48 PM   #3
elecbzerk
Premium Member

Try to find out if there is a local reef club in your area, that would be a good start. Also, most LFS will take coral and give you store credit, which you can use to trade for fish. Creating a good relationship with at least one of your LFS is also a great benefit. Good luck.

elecbzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 08:38 AM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

Are you willing to ship?

Craigslist and Ebay work too.

This site is a great place to buy and sell livestock. After 50 posts and 90 days, you will see that forum pop up.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 01:19 PM   #5
oldhead
Registered Member

Set up a frag tank, start fraging and put an ad on craigslist. I buy frags from a guy near me off craigslist. Its cheaper than the LSF but I also buy from them too.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 07:34 AM   #6
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i trade lots of my coral in to my LFS for store credit. i also like to trade it with other hobbyists.

i don't really sell anything i have, partly because most of my things are fairly common, and partly because if it's just between myself and another hobbyist, i prefer to barter.

it takes a lot of work to actually make money doing it (a lot more time and effort than i care to invest), but it can be done.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, how to sell