Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2018, 07:45 PM   #10801
Skittlz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipular View Post
Hi everyone:

I'm new here, been doing freshwater for over 10 years but at the urging of my daughter, I'm converting an 80 gal tall to saltwater.

So, just learning about all the difference with saltwater and hanging out here soaking up all the knowledge.
This is a good place for that. Your questions are probably already answered if you look into specific threads. Also thousands of people are here to help. It's really great! Welcome!

Skittlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2018, 10:25 PM   #10802
Warhood
Registered Member

Hello everyone, new to the hobby, Got a 30 gal IM tank, with two clowns, two damsels, and a bracelet gramma fish.

Its a mixed tank that also have corals, like Xenia, GSP, Two Monti's, A Candy Cane Coral (That was nearly dead and I am trying to rehabilitate). I just bought a Brain Coral, and a Hammer Coral.

At this point, I am just trying to find the corals that will do well in the tank. The tank itself is maybe 4/5 months old. Hope that is new enough for this to apply here. I'll try to post a picture of the tank tomorrow after I clean it (I am doing biweekly water changes cause I had a nitrate spike about three weeks ago).

Warhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2018, 10:46 PM   #10803
Registered Member

Hi Warhead,IMO for a 30 galloon you tank has too many agressive fish, I have a single damsel in my 55 and at times it makes me worried. Hope you have provided a lot of visual barriers for them and the tank isn't a warzone by now. Best of luck for your tank, will be looking forward for the pics.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2018, 10:51 PM   #10804
Warhood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101010 View Post
Hi Warhead,IMO for a 30 galloon you tank has too many agressive fish, I have a single damsel in my 55 and at times it makes me worried. Hope you have provided a lot of visual barriers for them and the tank isn't a warzone by now. Best of luck for your tank, will be looking forward for the pics.

Yeah The damsels are no problem. Neither do anything to anyone. Both are super peaceful. The Brasslet is the aggressive one, any time something swims close to its "den" it spits sand at it.

Warhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2018, 02:22 PM   #10805
gluca88
Registered Member

Hi all,
I'm Gianluca, kind of new to the hobby, though I keep a freshwater aquarium quite succesfully (IMO) since 4 years. Recently i moved to a bigger house and decided to start a reef, i got a second hand tank (300L) that i started 2 months ago and everything works fine so far. I decided to join this forum after I've been reading your suggestions for some time.
Obviously, when i say that everything is going fine i actually mean that im having all the problems a freshly started thank has. I decided to try not making water changes, i get purified water for top off directly from the laboratory where i work which shouldnt contain basically anything.
My test results are as follows:
NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 0 (that actually worries me, since I'm not doing water changes should be higher)
PO4 = 0.06
Mg = 1500
Ca = 725
KH = 6.6
pH = 8 (I'm going to test that again tomorrow, but im afraid is the correct value)

I will post my issues in the following days, i dont think this is the right thread to do so. Also im not very familiar with forums, so forgive me if im wrong.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

gluca88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2018, 08:11 PM   #10806
JGreiwe2
Registered Member

Hey guys! newbie to the blog!

currently have a 75 gallon reef!

Looking forward to learning a lot more here and bouncing ideas off of y'all!
Thank you!!

JGreiwe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2018, 08:16 PM   #10807
pshootr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGreiwe2 View Post
Hey guys! newbie to the blog!

currently have a 75 gallon reef!

Looking forward to learning a lot more here and bouncing ideas off of y'all!
Thank you!!
Glad to have you here, and I look forward to seeing your tank. Lots of good folks here.

Welcome to clay-boa!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

pshootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2018, 08:18 PM   #10808
pshootr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluca88 View Post
Hi all,
I'm Gianluca, kind of new to the hobby, though I keep a freshwater aquarium quite succesfully (IMO) since 4 years. Recently i moved to a bigger house and decided to start a reef, i got a second hand tank (300L) that i started 2 months ago and everything works fine so far. I decided to join this forum after I've been reading your suggestions for some time.
Obviously, when i say that everything is going fine i actually mean that im having all the problems a freshly started thank has. I decided to try not making water changes, i get purified water for top off directly from the laboratory where i work which shouldnt contain basically anything.
My test results are as follows:
NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 0 (that actually worries me, since I'm not doing water changes should be higher)
PO4 = 0.06
Mg = 1500
Ca = 725
KH = 6.6
pH = 8 (I'm going to test that again tomorrow, but im afraid is the correct value)

I will post my issues in the following days, i dont think this is the right thread to do so. Also im not very familiar with forums, so forgive me if im wrong.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Hello, and welcome. You will get to know your way around here soon enough. Glad you decided to join us, and congrats on your tank.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

pshootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 10:32 AM   #10809
Wunderpus
Registered Member

Hello friends!

I wanted to just introduce myself and say hello to everyone!

In short, I was in the hobby for 10 or so years, up until about 2 years ago. I have kept a variety of things from cephs, reef tanks, FOWLRs etc... Looking to set up a small reef tank in the near future, and I'm just now getting familiarized with all the tech changes in the hobby!

Hope everyone is well, thanks for reading!

Wunderpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 06:20 PM   #10810
BayBHuey
Registered Member

Hi...I am completely new to the hobby...I wanted to sign up here at reef central to learn from others and hopefully get help with what im doing as I just got a 75g tank...I dont have water in my tank yet...like I said Im a total newbie but I know I want to be successful in this hobby...I want to start a journal...hopefully folks will give me guidance along the way

BayBHuey

BayBHuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 08:26 PM   #10811
Registered Member

Hi BayBHuey,
My only suggestion would be to start slow, plan everything in advance, especially the hardscape because once the tank is filled and stocked it will become extremely difficult to make any major change.

101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 09:00 AM   #10812
BayBHuey
Registered Member

101010...thank you for the tip...I have to say its easier said than done lol...I think I have been planning but I can see myself all over the place buying this buying that to find out I dont even need what I just bought until much later...I have dry rock but live sand :dunno Im just confused trying to learn a bunch at one time...I need to take a few steps back and take a look at what Im doing...I hope to share what I have going on and get some advice on what to do next

Im trying to get a sump put together as well and from my understanding should have a refugium but not necessary...I bought a triton baffle kit on ebay for a 29g tank...I just have a lot going on it seems lol and need some kind of order...the wife is getting upset with the mess and expense lol

I need to start a journal to show what I have so far and hope others chime in that can provide some guidance...it seems like a great community to do learn

BayBHuey

BayBHuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2018, 12:06 AM   #10813
jaymack750
Registered Member

My best advice is to take it slow!! Patience is a must in this very additive hobby. Its soooo much info to take in you'll definitely get overwhelmed. Figure out which way you wanna go first(fish only or reef). since you're new to the hobby i wouldn't worry about a fuge as you can have a successfull and healthy reef without it plus you can always revisit that plan in the future once you grow in the hobby. I have a 220 gal mixed reef with a 75 gal tank as my sump, no baffles, no fuge and i have no problem maintaining excellent water parameters. if you have any questions feel free to ask!!

jaymack750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 09:25 AM   #10814
jsearcy
Registered Member

New to RC

Happy Thanksgiving!
I would like to start a new reef tank build thread for a 500 gallon built in setup i am currently doing. can you suggest the appropriate forum thread to do this?

420 gallon
90 gallon sump (pro clear)
4 stage RO/DI
Hard plumbed with schedule 80 fittings
220 pounds live sand
250 pounds carribsea life rock
reef octo regal 250 int skimmer
2- viparspectra 300 w
1- current 72" orbit ic pro
7 gallon refugium with Kessil 90W H380
Jebao Return Pump (DC-20000)
1- reef octo 4500gph wave pump
3- current usa 2100gph wave on loop system with light
finnex titanium heater
Tunse topoff osmolator
aquastation dc-12000 backup pump

Thank you!

jsearcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 09:02 PM   #10815
FlatBrokeMedic
Registered Member

Hello, I have been a member since 2008 when I set up my first reef, after a move I lost my tank and got out of the hobby for about six years, I can’t believe how much has changed since then with the care of our tanks.

I am currently in the purchase and planning phase for a 65 gallon reef. I have some pieces of equipment bought, but I also have to do a remodel of the area that the tank will be set up in. I will be posting a build out thread of the remodel and the tank build.

Thanks
FBM

FlatBrokeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2018, 09:54 AM   #10816
prodigalsquire
Registered Member

o7
New to saltwater/reef, I have kept freshwater tanks off and on for a long time. Finally decided to take the plunge. First project is a 14g Biocube customized to have an external sump.

Unread 11/30/2018, 05:34 PM   #10817
Cheeze
Registered Member

New to RC

Relatively new to aquariums although they have been in our house for the past 5 years as it has been my wife's hobby, both freshwater and then saltwater. I recently fell into it to try and relieve some of her stress with the holidays and transferring from a 135 to a 150 w/ 30 gallon sump occurring around the same time. Been reading threads here and there for research and figured I might as well join. If you hang out at a barber shop sooner or later you're gonna get a haircut

Cheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2018, 09:11 PM   #10818
Arieln92
Registered Member

New To RC and Florida

Hey everybody, I recently moved to Florida from New York. Currently setting up a 110g (soon to be) mixed reef tank. Excited to be on the forum, and finally setting up my tank

Arieln92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 01:27 PM   #10819
bdesign
Registered Member

New to Saltwater period

Hello!
I'm from north of Cincinnati, OH

New to saltwater altogether... currently have a 56g "reef" tank and actively looking for a deal on a big tank so I can quit my job, get a divorce, "invest" my last dime and obsess over it 24/7.

Glad to be here!
Bobby

bdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 08:21 PM   #10820
eclipsegrn
Registered Member

Hello all, I'm new to this group. I have a 54 gal corner tank with 2 AI hydra 26 lights. I would like to set that up as a reef tank. The other tank is a 115 gal 4 ft wide but 32inch deep tank. That tank has a 4 bulb VHO T5 florescent fixture. Both tanks are plumbed together to a 55 gal sump in the garage. I am in the process of building a saltwater mixing station with an automatic water change setup where i have 2 30 gal drums (1 for rodi and 1 for saltwater). I have a Apex Neptune to monitor the tank and the heaters are inline to reduce the amount of hardware in the tank because the sump is approx 40 feet away for one of the tanks.

I am trying to get some ideas on a few things. I am tying to decide what to stock my tanks with. And second is what type of light to place over the 115 gal tank because I only have approx 8 inches of space above the waterline. And what are your ideas on Bare bottom tank vs a 1inch sand bed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

eclipsegrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2018, 02:04 PM   #10821
bengallover
Registered Member

Hi all! I'm from the D.C are and I'm new to the game, but looking to learn as much as I can! Excited to be here and getting a tank!

bengallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2018, 05:45 PM   #10822
starwind
Registered Member

New to the forum, old to the ocean. 64 yr old on Big Island Hawaii 6mi from the summer lava flow. Looking for a true helper to mentor me as i run thru the start up of a 800 gal sump sysytem for local fish.
800 sump,100 gal charcoal filter,pretty large protein skimmer, and 5 spares, 2 - 200 gal sand filters, 300gal+ water changes, 150 ft elevation , winter catchment house water(drinking water 10k tank temp 75.6 deg f. Outside nite temp 65 deg lowest. Wondering if heaters will be necessary. Seawater temp 77.2.

Going to stock mainly achillies, bandits,flames ,deep fish. I like to dive under 100 ft. Lookiing for a mentor .
Aloha
Pm me?

starwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2018, 12:55 PM   #10823
rempfield
Registered Member

Newbie... looking to purchase a tank soon

First post. Just found this site. Scuba diver who has always wanted a tank.

Never had a fresh or saltwater tank, have the room for a small 24" wide tank, looking at Biocube 32 or Red Sea 170 (Reefer or E Series). $ not an issue.

Just looking to start slow with a pair of small clownfish and maybe a Yellow Tang. Sheesh, lots to read about.

Which section should I post under to ask about which tank to choose?

Thanks,
Rob

rempfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2019, 03:30 PM   #10824
Cat_5
Registered Member

Not really new here but my I no longer use the email that is tied to my old account (from 2001). Currently tankless since 2006 (thanks to Katrina and a new job that required me to travel). I am just reading up an the changes in the hobby and there are a lot. Will be posting for advice when I do enough research to know what size tank I will be setting up.

Previous tank was a 100 gallon, mostly SPS and LPS. Thinking that I will limit the new tank to 50 gallons, I just hate the small space for the sump and equipment.

Cat_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2019, 11:45 AM   #10825
ChronicReefH2o
Registered Member

New to the Forum, just wanted to drop by and give a hello you all the gals and guys. Been Reefing for many years now and never really join any forums. This will be a new experience for me and so far I'm loving what I see.

ChronicReefH2o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral