Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/27/2018, 08:52 PM   #1
kizanne
Registered Member

Ruby Reds take 2

I worked with rubies a few years ago then lost the fish.

I just recently obtained a male and female put them on a 30 gallon.

They eat mysid but the tank has plentiful Copepods and amphipods

About a month ago they appeared to be trying to ascend but as lights started going out around my fish room the female got more interested in amphipods then mating. Been checking for eggs every night but nothing.

Tonight we have Spawn! Eggs. They look to be developing so that would mean they are fertile. I'll know more in the morning. My parvos crashed so this batch won't go anywhere but stil exciting.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 10:01 PM   #2
kizanne
Registered Member

Well as predicted I lost the last batch of eggs but I didn't get to see if they hatched cause I spilled the cup in the morning.

I have more spawn tonight. I am a little confused as before (two years ago when playing with ruby reds and mandarins) the eggs were in a raft but these are all single. I don't know if the amphipods are breaking them up or if they are being released in a casting action. Maybe these ruby reds are a different species. there are many 'ruby reds'. I hope in the morning to be able to tell if they are developing. I think some are fertile others don't look fertile. I still don't have good parvo so these won't make it. But if they keep spawning and if they are fertile then I'll be ready soon enough.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
Unread 05/02/2018, 06:10 AM   #3
eastlake
Registered Member

This is some really interesting stuff, I've been tagging along with your sea horse thread as well. Do they spawn on a schedule or do you just watch them until they start to do their rises then shut the rank off and collect?

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 07:46 AM   #4
kizanne
Registered Member

Happy ruby reds and mandarins spawn almost nightly with good nutrition. So I feed between 6-7 and I leave the tank off til about 10 pm when I'm ready for bed. Lights go out at 9. I'm not sure if they are spawning right before or right after lights out. My previous batch spawn late after lights out but I think these two actually do it around 8:30. Maybe I'll work on narrowing it down soon. I just stay busy right now. The eggs float so not hard to find them. though they are opaque and small so you really have to look closely especially with the single egg thing versus the raft.

But the tank is got many amphipods and some of them come to the surface and float at night so they maybe eating/breaking up the raft.

These two are also fairly secretive. If I'm watching they hide.

Last edited by kizanne; 05/02/2018 at 09:32 AM.
Unread 05/02/2018, 07:56 PM   #5
kizanne
Registered Member

Well it doesn't look like last night was fertile. I got more eggs today (lots) and I have narrowed down the time between 8 pm and 9:30 pm.

Unread 05/04/2018, 06:59 AM   #6
kizanne
Registered Member

Well a few were fertile. I had many eggs go white and sink but I also had about 5 larva. So some of them were fertile. Now to get my parvos going again.

Unread 05/04/2018, 11:21 AM   #7
eastlake
Registered Member

Awesome! Can't wait to see pictures when they're more than just a speck

Unread 05/07/2018, 07:50 PM   #8
kizanne
Registered Member

Well here is the speck under a microscope. This larva is just coming out of the egg.

Unread 05/08/2018, 06:16 AM   #9
eastlake
Registered Member

So cool!

Unread 06/08/2018, 10:43 PM   #10
Rispa
Registered Member

Wow, that's tiny. Is that batch still alive?

Rispa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 11:42 PM   #11
HBL
Registered Member

Really cool, thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2018, 09:02 AM   #12
kizanne
Registered Member

No I've got to get my t-Ido / parvos stable before these are going anywhere. I just took a new job so my high hopes for the summer are over.