Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2018, 07:38 AM   #26
mcrist
Premium Member

I am curious how the wetside stay attached when the magnet expanded as much as it did. When one of my magnet’s casing cracked, it stopped working immediately.

I have both Tunze and Vortech in my tank and they are completely different technologies. I am not surprised that this this never occurred on the Tunze. I have never had a magnet on an impeller fail on any pump. Shaft breaking, yes, but not the magnet.

Current Tank Info: 450 Gallon Peninsula
mcrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 09:05 AM   #27
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

this is a manufacturer issue, the goal of these very strong magnets are to accept the torque from the dry side while in a salt water environment. if for any reason the plastic mold in which the magnet is sealed allows salt water to penetrate, it's only a matter of time thst the magnets will swell up and fail. I've had my fair share of these swell up and had to replace them.

none of us are privy to what ecotech is doing to correct this. perhaps the number of failures are below the need to address the issue, or perhaps they cant find a manufacturer that can meet the needs of sealing this magnet from the salty environment. I can be certain that if there was an easy fix they would have done it already.

we can all chime in with our ideas of how to fix it, but each viable solution presents it's own set of problems in which the ecotech team has to solve.

I've personally come to the conclusion that this is the price of owning these pumps. perhaps one day we will live in a world that wet side magnets don't get destroyed by salt water. however we're not quite there yet.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 06:07 AM   #28
dangros
Registered Member

Buying parts should not be too much to ask, however!

dangros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 02:47 PM   #29
Larz_1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangros View Post
Buying parts should not be too much to ask, however!
I agree.
We should be able to buy just the parts needed for repair and not have to buy a whole new wet side for $75 or dry side for $200 ......

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef Tank
Larz_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 07:47 PM   #30
dangros
Registered Member

I had a defective mp40QD which began to hum. Luckily it was under warranty and promptly replaced. However, while removing the defective power head, I inadvertently knocked my other mp40 off the glass and it crashed to the floor. Sure enough, it now hums!!! As much as I love these powerheads, I’m having a rough time trying to justify paying another 200 to replace it.

On thing I noticed in all this is that I have 1/4” glass. That means I could use either the medium or thick spacer. In hindsight, I would now recommend only using the medium one so the magnetic bond is stronger. I don’t think the thicker spacer is appropriate as it doesn’t stay up as well.

dangros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2018, 08:04 PM   #31
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz_1 View Post
I agree.
We should be able to buy just the parts needed for repair and not have to buy a whole new wet side for $75 or dry side for $200 ......
They used to just sell the magnet, however there were balance issues, much like you would have the tires on your car balanced, these wetsides have to be paired and balanced
correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangros View Post
I had a defective mp40QD which began to hum. Luckily it was under warranty and promptly replaced. However, while removing the defective power head, I inadvertently knocked my other mp40 off the glass and it crashed to the floor. Sure enough, it now hums!!! As much as I love these powerheads, I’m having a rough time trying to justify paying another 200 to replace it.

On thing I noticed in all this is that I have 1/4” glass. That means I could use either the medium or thick spacer. In hindsight, I would now recommend only using the medium one so the magnetic bond is stronger. I don’t think the thicker spacer is appropriate as it doesn’t stay up as well.
That's a toss up, when you use the thinner spacers, the magnetic couple is stronger which holds it tighter to the glass, but puts more pressure and wear on the bearings and bushings. If it were me I would choose the thicker spacer to prolong the life of the unit and utilize the mounting kit to hold the dry side on the glass.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 09:27 AM   #32
mynorrodas
Registered Member

Agree with all your comments... I have 4 mp40s and all the pumps have the magnets like that... The wet and dry side Very unhappy with the long term life of the pumps.

mynorrodas is offline   Reply With Quote