Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/05/2009, 07:06 AM   #1
AC2020x
Marine Conservationist

Eshopps Overflow box - how to quiet?

Hey, I recently got a eshopps overflow box and set it up yesterday- The problem is that it's relatively loud. I looked around a bit and came up with this-

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson...struction.html

Has anybody else ever used it? If so does it work well? I don't understand why there is a small airline tube going into it though? What is that for?

Also any other ideas on how to quiet my system would be very helpful.

AC2020x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2009, 07:22 AM   #2
langtudatinh01
Registered Member

you don't need to. the unit came with 2 pieces of sponges. you should put the small one in the PVC, then the bigger one outside of them. it will automatic quiet the operation. i have one and it is running like a charm. i put the tank in my bedroom without any problem.

Current Tank Info: my little heaven: 40 Breeder nano reeftank (1 year old-refugium/sump 20 gallons)
langtudatinh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2009, 07:35 AM   #3
rustyjames
EMT-B

I have a Hofer on my Eshopps overflow and works well. Honestly I didn't try the solid sponge inside the pvc but in stock form it was so loud I don't see how could've made much of a difference.

Current Tank Info: 20 long
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2009, 07:42 AM   #4
AC2020x
Marine Conservationist

I totally forgot about the inner pieces!- yeah it works alot better now!

Most of my noise now comes from the water entering the black box inside the tank- the top of the box is a little above the water surface- should I lower or higher it to reduce this noise???

Unread 10/05/2009, 07:43 AM   #5
AC2020x
Marine Conservationist

with the inner sponges it works rather well- maybe still not silent but alot alot alot better!

Unread 10/05/2009, 07:45 AM   #6
lcs
It's Spring!!!!!!!

I also made a Hofer - it's only been installed for a few days. I still have some tweaking to do as my flow has recently increased, but it's working pretty well and was easy to build.

Here's the link for the build:
http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson...struction.html

Re: the inner box - I have mine where the water is about halfway up the teeth. Just so you know, the height of the skimmer (inside) box will effect the water level of the tank.

lcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2009, 07:47 AM   #7
wakeboardgeek
Registered Member

You can also reduce the return pump with a ball valve. I've done this in the past and it's helped.

wakeboardgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2009, 11:07 AM   #8
stingythingy45
Registered Member

Hofa?

Looks like a Stockman pipe to me.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon,mixed Reef,2-250 watt Optix 3 pendants(Phoenix 14K)2-54 watt T5 Super actnics ,ASM G-2 Gate/recirc mods,70 gal. basement sump,20L ref
stingythingy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2009, 11:09 AM   #9
stingythingy45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingythingy45 View Post
Hofa?

Looks like a Stockman pipe to me.
Ok,I get it,it's an stockman.
Clever........or was it an accident?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon,mixed Reef,2-250 watt Optix 3 pendants(Phoenix 14K)2-54 watt T5 Super actnics ,ASM G-2 Gate/recirc mods,70 gal. basement sump,20L ref
stingythingy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2009, 03:48 PM   #10
mykdf
Registered Member

I use the same gurgler that you mentioned in your first post. Notice I call it a gurgler. That's because they all make some noise. The stock system was VERY loud when I used it.

Current Tank Info: 55g with 29g sump, 300 watts MH
mykdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2009, 05:08 PM   #11
jbird69
Registered Member

I built one of those recently. It worked very well....at first. When I shut off the pump to do a water change and then turned it back on, I nearly had a flood. It seemed to take a minute to get primed, or tuned or settled into its flow rate, or whatever, but a minute is enough time to create a flood. I took it off. I went back to controlling my drain volumn with a gate valve for noise. I know some people dont like this idea but Ive never had a problem with it.

Unread 10/05/2009, 10:47 PM   #12
langtudatinh01
Registered Member

i am glad that help you out AC2020x. well, i ran into that problem before just like you.

Current Tank Info: my little heaven: 40 Breeder nano reeftank (1 year old-refugium/sump 20 gallons)
langtudatinh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2013, 09:23 PM   #13
tangocat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by langtudatinh01 View Post
you don't need to. the unit came with 2 pieces of sponges. you should put the small one in the PVC, then the bigger one outside of them. it will automatic quiet the operation. i have one and it is running like a charm. i put the tank in my bedroom without any problem.
I tried sticking the smaller sponge into the pvc all that did was stop the flow. I don't believe they were made to go into the pvc, it doesn't make any sense. The position of the two small pvc pipes in the box should be with the plastic tube on top. There's no room for one thing other than to force the sponge in the little open area, but you'll clog it up doing like that. The larger sponges were made to go over the pvc but does nothing really to eliminate the noise.

tangocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2013, 10:08 PM   #14
Cozwey
Go Canada!!!!

I have the same setup and I just stuck a little hosing down the small plastic tube attached inside the plc. Worked like a charm.

Cozwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2013, 01:37 AM   #15
Sn8kbyt
Registered Member

I have the eshopps 1200 overflow and found after trial and error that closing off the down tube valves a bit to the sump made it whisper quiet and made my sump skimmer behave.

Sn8kbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2013, 12:55 PM   #16
tangocat
Registered Member

Easy way to quite Eshopps Overflow

I am using a simple method and it really works.

Step 1, remove the pvc pipes that came with the box and use real pvc instead without the little plastic tube.

Step 2, on one side just make the pvc about the same measurements as the eshopps pvc pipe, about 4 inches.

On the other side, make the pipe higher about 6 inches.

Step 3, now on the smaller one add a ball valve to that drain and cut it back just a little.

I found the key was to not let water flow into the tall pipe but let it trickle in.

The water level is consistently stable and no more noise.

I think the pvc pipes that are included with the eshopps are worthless.

In my pic, it shows a little more water going in the tall pipe, so I left it making a little more noise, but it's still very quite. If I wanted to, I could lower it a hair and it would be dead silent. I get nervous when it's too quite lol.

tangocat is offline   Reply With Quote