Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/15/2005, 07:57 PM   #76
Peccavi18
Registered Member

Cool that's what I was hoping it was, I was nervous since I epoxyed that top down,wasn't sure how I would get it off with out damaging the brace, and that noise is just to much to handle . thanks -pecc

Current Tank Info: 75gal, 140lbs lr, 120 lbs ls, 4x54 T5HO, 10gal refugium
Peccavi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2005, 08:10 AM   #77
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

This is a good idea. But it is not entirely new as previously stated. It looks like it functions the same way as my skockman overflows. But your design does not require the PVC fitting gymnastics that must be done with the Stockmans.

Bravo!

don't go ninjin' nobody that don't need ninjin'!

Current Tank Info: 220g custom plywood. SPS heavy with Sequence Hammerhead return with 4-Way OM. Tunze 6100, 6200 and Wavebox. 5000btu DIY Chiller. Lighting is 10K mh 250W / VHO Actinic Skimer - H&S A200-2x1260
AcroSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2005, 08:35 AM   #78
RonSF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AcroSteve
your design does not require the PVC fitting gymnastics that must be done with the Stockmans.
And tough to clog, too.
I'm going to try this on my new tank (up within the month?).

Unread 04/17/2005, 03:10 PM   #79
Peccavi18
Registered Member

Anyone else do this yet?? What size overflows are you running and what size hole did you drill? I have a 1 1/4" over flow, my cap is 3"pvc , and my hole is 3/16" and I still have yo-yoing but it is about 15 seconds between. I'm gonna go bigger for the hole I just don't want to go to big. my next bit is a 1/4". Sound ok? -pecc

Current Tank Info: 75gal, 140lbs lr, 120 lbs ls, 4x54 T5HO, 10gal refugium
Peccavi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2005, 03:21 PM   #80
lossman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by barnacle bill
Underwater is better, and no it causes no problems.
We did end up getting extensions and putting the drains under water inside the pre-filter socks. Not only did it stifle all that water noise, it even helped with the flushing!! The flushing has stopped almost entirely, we just have a slight surging noise now and then, very soft and very acceptable!

lossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2005, 04:04 PM   #81
patsan
Premium Member

What about the return piping? I'd guess you'd have to cut around them when you make the cover for the overflow?

Current Tank Info: spectator
patsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2005, 01:45 AM   #82
Poseidon's Vortex
Moved On

My design works prety well it looks like this, build out of all ABS and can be made from 1.25 to 2" Mega sizes. I call them CJStandpipes.

The megas quietly and easily handle flows in excess of 2500 gph ea! The 2" can be made for 1.5 thread, slip, or even 2" thread or slip BHs.

They work great are pretty easy to build and are solid construction, while running basically quiet when operating. I dont glue the bottom fitting so they can be cleaned without unscrewing them from the BHS...

Here is a pix...

Hers the group fro R to L 1.25 to 2" MEGAS The 2" megas in this picture has a 1.5" slip for the BH.

Here shows the difference in drain hole from the 1.5 and 2" it is a dramatic difference in flow rate.

Poseidon's Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2005, 07:40 AM   #83
Homebrew
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
What about the return piping? I'd guess you'd have to cut around them when you make the cover for the overflow?
If your return piping comes up over the overflow, then you would need to slot the acrylic cover or drill a hole if your return piping is not glued and could be easily removed and inserted.

My return piping would be under the cover as it goes through the overflow teeth area (standard AGA stuff).

Greg

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR aggressive and 30g reef
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2005, 07:55 AM   #84
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Homebrew
If your return piping comes up over the overflow, then you would need to slot the acrylic cover or drill a hole if your return piping is not glued and could be easily removed and inserted.
My return piping would be under the cover as it goes through the overflow teeth area (standard AGA stuff).
Greg
Thanks! I was surprised nobody asked that question already. Not everyone has an AGA or Oceanic tanks.

Current Tank Info: spectator
patsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2005, 08:11 AM   #85
Homebrew
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Thanks! I was surprised nobody asked that question already. Not everyone has an AGA or Oceanic tanks.
And here I thought those were the only two brands sold!

Actually, my AGA will soon be replaced by a non-AGA/non-Oceanic later this year.

Cheers,
Greg

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR aggressive and 30g reef
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2005, 04:20 PM   #86
barnacle bill
Registered Member

sweet!

Glad people are starting to try this, i think they will be pleased. Again the size of the hole in the lid is crucial so that the larger pipe does not make the "flushing" sound. Mine still works great, the only noise i hear is the iwaki 100 ripping at full throttle! Makes it sound "alive" and not like a toilet!

barnacle bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2005, 09:44 PM   #87
barnacle bill
Registered Member

still working!

Unread 06/14/2005, 10:53 PM   #88
barnacle bill
Registered Member

Wink

Unread 06/15/2005, 09:43 AM   #89
Achilles1882
Registered Member

great idea, im going to try to install this on my tank this weekend!

Unread 06/15/2005, 09:46 AM   #90
Marshall
Premium Member

I'm definitely doing this very soon. I have 2 overflows with a 1" bulkhead in each (silly AGA, I need MORE FLOW!!!). I feel like no one has posted a success story with this besides barnacle bill. I am going to try to get the parts this week and the acrylic cut to spec. I will probably drill progessively larger holes until I'm satisfied with the silence and will attempt this with 3" PVC.

Unread 07/12/2005, 12:12 PM   #91
fish_taste_good
Premium Member

I will make it as soon as i get the drain and return plumbing done. It sounds easy enough to accomplish.

Current Tank Info: 240 Reef
fish_taste_good is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2005, 06:22 PM   #92
barnacle bill
Registered Member

Still workin great!

Unread 07/19/2005, 06:22 PM   #93
barnacle bill
Registered Member

Still workin great!

Unread 07/20/2005, 01:49 AM   #94
gio17vani
Registered Member

sweet, except I'm afraid I won't be able to sleep without the flushing noises right next to me. Will be giving this a try

gio17vani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2005, 05:21 AM   #95
toaster2005
Registered Member

I must be really think - I just don't understand ho this works - if there are any kind hearted people out there I would ask that they post a simple diagram that I can follow. The in tank pipe running to my sump sounds like a toilet constantly flushing.

(pulling my hair out)

toaster2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2005, 09:41 AM   #96
hummusx
Registered Member

I didn't get it at first either, but let me take a shot at explaining it.

Install a standpipe, just a plain (non-stockman/durso) pvc pipe standing straight up in the overflow. It should be shorter than the top of the overflow, but tall enough to prevent most of the waterfall noise. At this point you will have the loud sucking drain noise because you just have an open-top stand pipe.

Now, cut a piece of acrylic that fits the top of your overflow. If you set this on top of your overflow, you'll have a muffled, echoing loud sucking drain noise.

Step 3 is the real trick. You are going to turn you standpipe into a stockman, but without the trouble of finding the pieces that HD may or may not have, and without having to do any drilling. Get a piece of PVC that is larger than your stand pipe (say 4 inches on a 2 inch stand pipe). Cut it long enough that it will reach from the top of your overflow down to at least 1-2" below where your stand pipe comes. So if your stand pipe is 2" below the top of your overflow, cut it 4" long. Now glue it to the bottom of the acrylic cover such that when you place the cover on the overflow, the larger PVC slides over your standpipe.

Instant stockman.

*edit* Oh yeah, normally you'd put an air hole in the top of the cover, directly in the center of where the PVC is glued on. But I'd think with this design it'd be even quieter if you drilled the holes in the side of the larger PVC, just below where it's attacked to the acrylic. This will prevent the syphon.

hummusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2005, 01:12 PM   #97
Phoneguy982
Registered Member

Can I just take a 3" or 4" pipe....make holes in it towards the bottom of the sump... put a cap on the top of it with the hole int it and just stick it over my stand pipes as long as the 3 or 4" pipe is taller than the stand pipe?

Phoneguy982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2005, 02:33 PM   #98
dymaxiun
Registered Member

I'm convinced this will work.. going to try it this week....

Unread 07/25/2005, 02:35 PM   #99
Kent E
One Millionth Poster

Oh thanks for elaborating. that should work great!

Current Tank Info: Dreaming up a new one
Kent E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2005, 03:42 PM   #100
toaster2005
Registered Member

Unfortunately i do not have an overflow box - just a pipe sticking through the tank. Thanks for the advice. I have tried using a plastic cup with a hole drilled in the top. I held this over the pipe to see what would happen. The tank basically started to fill up and would have overflown. As the water raised it covered the air hole and created a nasty siphon. Using a bigger hole would work and I think this is a great idea but again unfortunately my pipe is only about an inch below one of the tanks support braces so I have little to no room to work with. Doh! Must make a note of all the tanks failings for next time

toaster2005 is offline   Reply With Quote