Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/01/2008, 11:41 PM   #1
aggs nasty
President of Calenders

Seahorses and pico tanks

I just set up a pico tank(2 gallons) and was looking to house a seahorse. From what I've researched so far, a Dwarf Seahorse (H. zosterae) is all that would be happy in my little tank. Locally I can buy "Black Seahorses" but apparently they need quite the large tank. Any recommendations for different species that would be appropriate for my tank?

aggs nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2008, 12:07 AM   #2
ReefNutPA
Registered Member

Sorry, no seahorse, with the exception of a pair of dwarfs, could live in a pico tank or any tank that small. Even with dwarfs, you will find it challenging with such a small tank. Coupled with the 2 to 3 times a day feeding of newly hatched brine shrimp which you must hatch daily. Dwarfs are a fair amount of work.

Tom

ReefNutPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2008, 02:52 AM   #3
aggs nasty
President of Calenders

That's a bummer, thank you for the quick and informative response! Maybe in the future when I start growing brine shrimp for other things I will give the dwarf seahorses a second thought.

aggs nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2008, 01:46 AM   #4
chasethedream
Registered Member

I am also interested in dwarf sea horses for a pico, and am willing to hatch brine shrimp. Do they also have the ability to be brightly colored based on environment? Or do they only come in that drab dirty-white hue? My tank is a 5 gallon hexagon, and presently I have a bumble bee snail, and 3 tiny hermits.

Current Tank Info: 5 Gallon Hex
chasethedream is offline   Reply With Quote