Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/13/2014, 07:50 PM   #26
mark54321
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schprock View Post
Do you have any issues with the stability of the skimmer? Does it need constant adjusting. Also anyone who has this skimmer for a while, is the pump reliable? There are not a lot of reviews on this skimmer. I think maybe due to the initial hype then the delay and all the bugs with the first skimmers released.
I am still running my skimmer since getting it ,still absolutely love it. I never had a problem with adjusting it, believe it or not, not once overflown yet. Pump is still running great without any start up problems. I should have it clean it by now , but always find something else to do. It is running 9 months now, still pulling nasty, dark skimmate. At least for me , this is truly set and forget skimmer. Couldn't be happier with my purchase.

mark54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2014, 07:55 PM   #27
Chrisrush
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark54321 View Post
I am still running my skimmer since getting it ,still absolutely love it. I never had a problem with adjusting it, believe it or not, not once overflown yet. Pump is still running great without any start up problems. I should have it clean it by now , but always find something else to do. It is running 9 months now, still pulling nasty, dark skimmate. At least for me , this is truly set and forget skimmer. Couldn't be happier with my purchase.
Agreed. Best investment I've made. It would be hard to overflow a 10g skimmer cup.

Current Tank Info: 2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Winner
Chrisrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2014, 11:01 AM   #28
mark54321
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrush View Post
Agreed. Best investment I've made. It would be hard to overflow a 10g skimmer cup.
10 gal. skimmer cup ? I think mine is about 1 gal. 10 gal. would be the size of 2 HD buckets.

Unread 05/15/2014, 10:26 AM   #29
Chrisrush
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark54321 View Post
10 gal. skimmer cup ? I think mine is about 1 gal. 10 gal. would be the size of 2 HD buckets.

It was a joke. Guess it wasn't that funny.

Current Tank Info: 2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Winner
Chrisrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2014, 08:14 AM   #30
K916
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schprock View Post
Do you have any issues with the stability of the skimmer? Does it need constant adjusting. Also anyone who has this skimmer for a while, is the pump reliable? There are not a lot of reviews on this skimmer. I think maybe due to the initial hype then the delay and all the bugs with the first skimmers released.
sorry for the delay in replying

I've heard similar stories about the first generation skimmers but mine needs absolutely no adjusting except for cleaning out the collection cup

Pump hasn't missed a beat for over 26 months now

K916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2014, 08:15 AM   #31
K916
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
K916 are you across the pond?
sorry for the delayed response

I'm way over the pond.... in Dubai

K916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2014, 11:48 AM   #32
mark54321
Registered Member

I am still running mine, pump never quit on me. No adjustments necessary, skimmer is very stable, pretty much set and forget. I clean my collection cup weekly and also clean my whole skimmer ( it completely comes apart for easy cleaning) with pump once a year.

Unread 11/28/2014, 12:21 PM   #33
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^^Since Reef Geek is no longer in retail who carries the ATI skimmer?

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2014, 01:34 PM   #34
bayoupr
Registered Member

AquariumSpecialty
They sell these but there factory direct, usually 2-3 days before shipping.

bayoupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2014, 04:06 PM   #35
moondoggy4
Registered Member

thanks bayour

Unread 12/05/2014, 08:52 AM   #36
discos
Registered Member

I also have the new model, but it's really difficult to be able to tune it well. I was a kid of Deltec and H&S, a very happy client, and now I am a bit troubled.

The new model has no air meter, the silencer does not have an input for an buying an extra air meter, and in my case the pump it's a jebao dc with special impeller. My guess it's the jebao 3000 dc in black color, pretty cool like this indeed.

My aquarium is 200 gallons of water with a reasonable amount of fish load and Aquaroche with dead live rock mix. Feeding like crazy but the skimmer just refuse to work as I am used too.

I mean I was used with my old skimmers, when I use epoxy on rock to be very careful not to overflow. Now in the same scenario, it did not work good for 3 days! Also when I was making my water change, the skimmer was getting crazy and had to be very careful. Now it's like nothing happen.

I would like your advice, maybe I am doing something wrong my self, it's a very complicated skimmer for sure .

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon sps Reef tank (51x31x24), 50 gallon sump, ATI Hybrid 3xLed & 8xT5, Deltec TS2060 overflow feed, Calcium reactor, Jebao return and 3xRW15 for circulation
discos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 08:41 PM   #37
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Mine just stopped working and refuses to start. Just emailed ATI. Checked all of the possible failure modes, the pump is just vibrating the impeller and not starting....

I'll try to come back and let you all know what happens. I loved the skimmer prior to this issue...

1.5 months old. 200i, impeller is intact, ozone port plugged, correct water level, all parts clean, flapper in correct position, airflow and water intake clear, etc. etc.

NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2015, 02:13 AM   #38
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^^Is this the DC pump model?

Unread 02/08/2015, 02:18 AM   #39
viktor72
Registered Member

Dose anyone knows where the ventury inlet can be ordered from?And if they send internationaly?

viktor72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2015, 10:24 AM   #40
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Hello Moondoggy, this is the DC pump model with soft start. I had the thing apart about 10 times last night trying to work it out. There must be something up with the soft start since it just could not get the impeller to start spinning (just jittered it).

Finally, after getting about 10 "low pH" warnings from my Apex this morning, I went down and tried the ol' hail mary. I removed the pump to just above the water as an assembly, then when the controller tried to start it, I stuck my finger in the outlet, and helped advance the gridwheel a little, and low and behold it started!

Then I had to try to get it attached to the skimmer while it was running, without tripping any of its auto-shutdown protocols. This was not easy and took a few tries. BUT I finally got it to start, and got it on the system, and pH is improving.

That being said, the problem is not fixed, the pump still wont start on its own, BUT at least I know how to "jump start" it.

Like I said, I contacted ATI, and I will be expecting a new pump assembly with DC controller. I'll let folks know what happens. The skimmer works awesome, this is the first hiccup it has had in the 1.5 months, so I am hoping that I can get this fixed and be back on easy street.

Unread 02/08/2015, 07:50 PM   #41
Rickyrooz1
Acropora Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
Mine just stopped working and refuses to start. Just emailed ATI. Checked all of the possible failure modes, the pump is just vibrating the impeller and not starting....

I'll try to come back and let you all know what happens. I loved the skimmer prior to this issue...

1.5 months old. 200i, impeller is intact, ozone port plugged, correct water level, all parts clean, flapper in correct position, airflow and water intake clear, etc. etc.
I have the same problem everytime I clean my pump and impeller. Make sure the internal flap is facing the correct direction.

Here is my answer from Klaus at ATI.

"Here is my standard answers:

The problem could be:

The waterlevel of the filter sump is to high. Best at about 17 cm.
The water intake is reduced. Check the nozzle.
The air intake is reduced. Check the nozzle as well. There might be a salt/calcium accumulation in the little air intake tube. You can easy clean it with citric or hydrochloric acid (30%).
The air intake is reduced. Check the air flow meter. Plaese test also if the pump runs without air flow meter/silencer.
If you run the pump without ozon, the blind bold as to be at the nozzle/ozon adapter!
The water outlet is reduced. Check the bubble plate inside of the PC body. May be the drill holes are not complete free, because there are some accumulations or anelid worms, ... .
The silicone tube of the air intake has to go form the nozzle straight to the water surface.
If the PC pump does not produce much micro bubbles it is mostly caused by the surface tension of the water.
If for example food with omega 3 fatty acids for the fish is used. The micro bubbles are getting bigger. Also some water additives will infuence the surface tension.

It is possible that the direction flap is not working.

The spin direction of the impeller is random.

If the pump/impeller starts spinning anti-clockwise everything will work fine.
If it tries to start clockwise the direction flap stops the grid wheel a little and the electronic will recognize this and will stop the pump and restart it again until it will run anti-clockwise.
I hope I could help you."

Current Tank Info: SPS Dominated
Rickyrooz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2015, 07:52 PM   #42
Rickyrooz1
Acropora Nut

Here is a helpful video as well.

Unread 02/09/2015, 12:22 AM   #43
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Thanks Ricky, that is great intel. I checked out the flapper and soaked everything to take care of any obstructions. I am probably running it in about 7.5 inches of water, and apparently it wants only 6.5, so that could be something. The strange thing is, it doesnt turn on and then shut off, it just cant even turn the impeller at all.

Anyhow, thank you again! Emails in to ATI, I will let folks know what they say. Cheers

also, fyi, after I "jump started" it, it is still running now, so at least the tank isnt skimmerless...

Unread 02/09/2015, 01:09 AM   #44
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^ Sounds like my old Mag pumps that needed to be hit to get them to start again. Troubling that it is a new pump.

Unread 02/09/2015, 09:29 PM   #45
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Contacted ATI, the gentleman was polite and prompt with his responses. They first requested that I send in my pump assembly for diagnosis/repair (likely turnaround 1 week). When I mentioned that the skimmer had worked well for just long enough that I had just sold my old skimmer, and needed something to run the tank, they suggested that I buy another pump assembly, then send mine back. If my pump assembly turns out to be broken, then they will refund my purchase price of the new one.

I mean, it isn't stellar, which would have been just sending me a new assembly for free and having me send mine back for diagnosis, but it isn't bad, they will refund me the green when the pump gets to them and doesn't work.

More info: The skimmer/pump sit in 7" of water.
Tested again today, shut off/turn on... aaaand it turned back on. So we will see. At this point, it stinks that I cannot rely on it to turn off and on automatically, however, at least I didn't have to stick my finger down its throat to get it to turn on.

I think my plan is this, I will let it ride for now, and if it fails again, I'll buy the replacement and send this sucker in.

It is skimming great at the moment!

Unread 02/12/2015, 05:21 AM   #46
Rickyrooz1
Acropora Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
Contacted ATI, the gentleman was polite and prompt with his responses. They first requested that I send in my pump assembly for diagnosis/repair (likely turnaround 1 week). When I mentioned that the skimmer had worked well for just long enough that I had just sold my old skimmer, and needed something to run the tank, they suggested that I buy another pump assembly, then send mine back. If my pump assembly turns out to be broken, then they will refund my purchase price of the new one.

I mean, it isn't stellar, which would have been just sending me a new assembly for free and having me send mine back for diagnosis, but it isn't bad, they will refund me the green when the pump gets to them and doesn't work.

More info: The skimmer/pump sit in 7" of water.
Tested again today, shut off/turn on... aaaand it turned back on. So we will see. At this point, it stinks that I cannot rely on it to turn off and on automatically, however, at least I didn't have to stick my finger down its throat to get it to turn on.

I think my plan is this, I will let it ride for now, and if it fails again, I'll buy the replacement and send this sucker in.

It is skimming great at the moment!

If mine doesn't kick on right away it usually does after a few tries. At that point I walk away from the tank and it's back on and skimming.

Unread 02/12/2015, 04:23 PM   #47
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Hi All, a few updates:

I purchased a new pump assembly from ATI since mine failed again and refused to start. By that I mean the skimmer was running, then I checked it again and it was stopped, and restart attempts were unsuccessful.

As I mentioned before, they require that you either send your skimmer pump in and they will look at it (takes time) or that you buy a new skimmer pump assembly from them and then send in your pump, if it is broken they will refund you.

So this gets to the important bits, ATI changed pumps completely. They now use a Jebao DC pump instead of their homebrewed deal. This is good and bad in my eyes.

In talking to ATI, they did it for cost reasons, and it now has a six stage speed adjust instead of the infinitely adjustable potentiometer on the old pump controller. I will try to take a picture and attach it as I install.

Thats one of the other issues, the form factor is completely different, and the volute is not flippable on the pump that I can see, so it looks like it has to be positioned in a certain way, which may effect the footprint of the skimmer. we will see.

The volute looks different from my old one, and is 3D printed, much like the gridwheel is 3D printed. The impeller is only held at the back, instead of at the front and back from what I can see.

The GOOD (kind of cool) news, is that you can control Jebao pumps (pretty easily) with your apex. I currently control two WP40s, and so it might be fun to control the skimmer, make it turn up or down during feedings or at night or something. Anyhow, there is potential there.

Unfortunately, Jebao isn't exactly the rolls-royce of DC pumps, but it is a simple job that it has to do.

Anyhow, I will let folks know how it performs in comparison, and since the return label for the broken pump is to "clear choice distribution" and not ATI, I am doubtful that real troubleshooting is going to occur. More likely the distributor gets it and they just refund me.

Bummer is, what if the old pump was nicer (we know it was more expensive for ATI), and now I have a cheaper option as part of this warranty action...

We will see!

Unread 02/12/2015, 10:31 PM   #48
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Ok, I have a bunch of pics to upload but basically...

1. The output of the pump is on the opposite side, and it is uni-directional. Bummer. This causes the skimmer to grow in footprint a bit. (only like 1/2" probably)

2. The pumps outputs are almost 1/2" different in height. They don't line up at all. So you need to build a special "booster seat" for the Jebao pump. (ok not I refuse to believe that this is their official production pump).

3. It works well, I think that it is slightly less powerful (I used to get to 3K LPH, now it tops out at like 2.7K). But it is nice having steps of power instead of the "mystery knob".

That is about it, the new pump is very quiet, but the old one was too. So it is working now, we will see how it goes.

Pics in next post since im posting them from tapatalk (way easier).

Unread 02/12/2015, 10:34 PM   #49
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423801968.698115.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423801984.112685.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423801996.246572.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423802016.663790.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423802041.417046.jpg

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS cube
Unread 02/12/2015, 10:36 PM   #50
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423802084.637551.jpg

But anyway, shes running. Gotta say, not impressed with ATI. Who ever heard of a commercial skimmer-pump configuration that does't even assemble without modification...

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS cube