Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/15/2016, 12:25 PM   #1
jemw
Registered Member

Question Installing 5074

I purchased the 3155 and 5074 and would like some additional information. The product literature for the 5074 only covers mounting it inside the ATO reservoir. My reservoir is only 3 inches wide so that won't work (space limitation in the cabinet). I would like to install the 5074 in my sump in the chamber with the return pump. Any instructions available for that?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 300XL
jemw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2016, 12:54 PM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It could be done but we would never advise it, we only suggest install in the reservoir because if the hoses were to pop off or the unit were to leak, that much kalk dosing at once could be a catastrophe. Leaking is uncommon, but the hoses do tend to harden and become prone to coming off with age. I would probably advise against using it if it cannot be installed in the reservoir.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2016, 03:39 PM   #3
jemw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
It could be done but we would never advise it, we only suggest install in the reservoir because if the hoses were to pop off or the unit were to leak, that much kalk dosing at once could be a catastrophe. Leaking is uncommon, but the hoses do tend to harden and become prone to coming off with age. I would probably advise against using it if it cannot be installed in the reservoir.
Thanks Roger

Unread 07/15/2016, 03:42 PM   #4
jemw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
Another question - Does the unit have to be submerged? I'm thinking of fencing off a section large enough for the unit in my sump.

Unread 07/18/2016, 08:22 AM   #5
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It does not have to be submerged, we mainly show setting it up that way so any leaks are contained/isolated.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 08/05/2016, 01:13 PM   #6
2wheelsonly
Registered Member

I just opened this thing and realized how poor the mounting hardware and clips are. No Fing way I am putting this thing in my beloved system. Too much can go wrong...if my system relies heavily on kalk then I am doing it wrong anyway.

Off to the garbage with this trash...quickest 100 bucks ever wasted.

I'm just amazed at some products in this industry, some of us pay over $20,000 for our tanks and we have so much junk out there that never works properly.

So sick of it, scratching Tunze off my list permanently. I am actually a little worried that the tunze putty I used to mount some corals is somehow going to go back and poison my tank over time.

2wheelsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2016, 08:08 AM   #7
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I am not unhappy that you won't be making any future Tunze purchases.