Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2011, 01:35 PM   #176
Glazner
Registered Member

dOughbOy, did yours come with a drain line for your collection cup? I think that would be very useful as the cup is a little difficut to remove. I may see if I can make one.

Glazner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2011, 02:03 PM   #177
Tabasco
Registered Member

Db- I have the 65, the blue piece was pretty difficult to fit on, at first I didn't think it fit or that I was trying to attach it wrong, but I eventually got it to fit on.

When I put the base w the suction cups on the pump was taller than the skimmer and it wobbled so I have left it off. I can't pick the skimmer up without the pump coming unattached, but I don't move it so not an issue. It would be nice though. But when seated it works well.

My bubble height is very stable though. If I do move it the skimmer does not seem to be very affected. I have mine in about 9.5" of water. It has been running for about a week and was pulling light skim mate after about 3 days. Now it is broken in a bit more and the skim mate is starting to darken. I am getting a dark neck of sludge where the bubbles are bursting.

I'm going to see how it goes for another couple weeks. I agree this seems like a skimmer more for a frag tank than a display, but it does seem like it is doing well so far. At this point though, for the $ a good value.

Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2011, 02:32 PM   #178
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazner View Post
dOughbOy, did yours come with a drain line for your collection cup? I think that would be very useful as the cup is a little difficut to remove. I may see if I can make one.
no drain line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Db- I have the 65, the blue piece was pretty difficult to fit on, at first I didn't think it fit or that I was trying to attach it wrong, but I eventually got it to fit on.

When I put the base w the suction cups on the pump was taller than the skimmer and it wobbled so I have left it off. I can't pick the skimmer up without the pump coming unattached, but I don't move it so not an issue. It would be nice though. But when seated it works well.

My bubble height is very stable though. If I do move it the skimmer does not seem to be very affected. I have mine in about 9.5" of water. It has been running for about a week and was pulling light skim mate after about 3 days. Now it is broken in a bit more and the skim mate is starting to darken. I am getting a dark neck of sludge where the bubbles are bursting.

I'm going to see how it goes for another couple weeks. I agree this seems like a skimmer more for a frag tank than a display, but it does seem like it is doing well so far. At this point though, for the $ a good value.

thanks. I am going to try without the suction cup base. I hope it does not make any vibration noise without the suction cup.

I think with a little tweaking the seller could make this a nicer skimmer. the body construction itself is pretty decent I think. for one thing, they could use a threaded connection on the bottom of the skimmer to the pump. though the weight of the pump could cause the acrylic to break, maybe that is why they did not do it.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2011, 06:27 PM   #179
Marlboro Zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
can you tell me if the side panels of the skimmer body stand touches the towel in your picture? on mine, the body pretty much just sits on top of the pump, and the side panels do not touch the base, its like they are not long enough or the pump is too high. so the skimmer body ends up tilted and actually moves around.
With the suction cups on, the white side panels do not touch the base of the sump the skimmer sits in. Instead of removing the suction cup bracket, I took the suction cups off and left the bracket so the pump is still elevated an extra 1/4" or so into the skimmer base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
I got that extra thread to barb adapter as well.

so when you assembled yours, did you attach the pump base (with the suction cup) to the pump? when I do that, the skimmer body ends up high and the side panel does not touch the bottom surface.

is your connection from body to the pump a tight fit? i.e. can you carry the skimmer around without the pump falling off? mine is not tight, not exactly loose, but it is not tight enough to be able to carry the skimmer on the body without the pump falling off.
With just the 4 suction cups removed, but leaving the bracket on, the side panels and the pump make contact to the bottom surface. The fit of the pump into the skimmer is just tight enough to hold the pump in place when pulling the skimmer in and out of my sump.

Current Tank Info: 46 gallon bowfront seaclear acrylic
Marlboro Zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2011, 07:42 PM   #180
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Thanks. It sits perfectly with just the suction cups removed. I suppose that's how it is supposed to be. I guess if they had to create a user manual that will add to the cost. .
Other than the pump is not tightly coupled to the body, I think its a fairly decent skimmer. probably not a big deal since I won't be taking the skimmer in and out of the sump constantly.

next project is to add the drain hole.

Unread 07/15/2011, 12:22 AM   #181
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

ok, I set it up on a QT tank, and I am getting tons of micro bubbles. did it eventually go away for other users of sc-65? other than that, seems to work fine though.

Unread 07/15/2011, 07:57 AM   #182
allsps40
Registered Member

My SC150 put out a lot on micro bubbles for the first few days then is settled down.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 08:49 AM   #183
Amdeus
Registered Member

wonder how this compares to the ps160? What i run now and for the price it works very well. I dont use the stock pump thou as i have a manifold and it is ran off of that.

Amdeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 12:44 PM   #184
coolsurf
Registered Member

Just got my SC-65 in today. In comparison to other skimmers I have used/seen, it appears fairly solid. The collection cup in comparison has it's good and bad points. The screw off top has always been a pain but this cup is snug so getting it on/off may be a pain as well. The cup needs to come off for cleaning the cone so I'll have to see what tricks I can come up with. Have to move my sump upstairs before I can hook this up so it'll probably be tomorrow when it goes into use. I'll give some feed back once the process begins.

coolsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 01:03 PM   #185
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsps40 View Post
My SC150 put out a lot on micro bubbles for the first few days then is settled down.
the bubbles settled down to a more manageable amount overnight.
at first it was like there was alka seltzer in the tank

since my qt setup will not have a sump, I have the skimmer inside the tank (actually, just a rubbermaid container) so best if there are no micro bubbles at all.

Unread 07/15/2011, 03:31 PM   #186
symon_say
Registered Member

Ordered mine, now i have to design my sump, this is my first SW tank and skimmer, hope this last good enough.

symon_say is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 08:00 PM   #187
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

I took mine offline and put in the new WM mf 121 about 3 weeks ago...( skimz 121 )and I can say my new skimmer just pulls out a lot more than this sc 150. Its good for a 100 buck skimmer but just not meant for a heavy load. Just fyi.

Unread 07/15/2011, 09:41 PM   #188
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Mojo, the skimmer body seems pretty standard compared to other brands like swc, bm, etc. So what do you think would improve it, the impeller? Since it is atman pump, we could use say the swc or bm mesh impeller?

Unread 07/15/2011, 11:09 PM   #189
allsps40
Registered Member

Or maybe a larger pump? I still think about putting the Atmam 2500 on mine.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
Unread 07/16/2011, 06:54 AM   #190
symon_say
Registered Member

Maybe the mesh mod could make it better.

Unread 07/16/2011, 01:16 PM   #191
Tabasco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo~ View Post
I took mine offline and put in the new WM mf 121 about 3 weeks ago...( skimz 121 )and I can say my new skimmer just pulls out a lot more than this sc 150. Its good for a 100 buck skimmer but just not meant for a heavy load. Just fyi.
I am sorry, what is the WM mf 121? I assume a skimmer manufacturer, but I am not super up on the abreviations yet.

Thanks!

Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2011, 02:37 PM   #192
allsps40
Registered Member

WM= Warner Marine. I dont think a mesh wheel will be any better. The pin wheels are much better than mesh from I am understanding.

Unread 07/16/2011, 05:08 PM   #193
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsps40 View Post
Or maybe a larger pump? I still think about putting the Atmam 2500 on mine.
that's true, I think mojo said he has the one with the internal atman2100 pump version.

btw, I just zip tied the darned pump to the base of the skimmer. it feels silly taking the simmer in and out of the tank with the pump hanging on the rubber air hose.

no further improvement on micro bubbles, I suppose the sc-65 is too small to have enough space to move the water output hole lower than where it is now. I wonder if swc 120 is the same. its not terrible, but would be nice to have no micro bubbles.

Unread 07/16/2011, 06:19 PM   #194
allsps40
Registered Member

Mine took a good week to settle down, still put out some bubbles but none make it to the display.

Unread 07/17/2011, 09:59 PM   #195
Todd_Sails
Moved On

Well, I pulled the trigger!

The SC150 is now listed for 129.99
I bid the same most others paid for it.
The bid was accepted, should be here soon.

I am praying nothing is broken, etc.

Is everyone still liking theirs?

Todd_Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2011, 09:51 AM   #196
Todd_Sails
Moved On

Hello SC150 protein skimmer users,
still like yours?

Todd_Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2011, 08:01 PM   #197
allsps40
Registered Member

Yep still liking mine, could not be more happy. Contacted the seller about a larger 2500 pump but he said it wont fit. Maybe the 2100 will work but it skims great as it is.

Unread 07/20/2011, 05:15 PM   #198
symon_say
Registered Member

My Sc150 is here, mine came with 2500 pump and drain from the cup:

Unread 07/20/2011, 05:32 PM   #199
WTyson
Registered Member

are yall still finding this on ebay?

WTyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2011, 07:02 PM   #200
allsps40
Registered Member

Yep Ebay. I should tell the seller to hook me up this thread sold a lot of skimmers for him LOL.