Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2010, 02:33 PM   #1
rdog
Registered Member

Moving my sump

I was wondering how long u can have a tank going without filters... I plan on moving my sump into the basement... I have everything ready, plumbing and all except the fial connections, so it will be as quick as possible but it might be a day or 2 that my tank has no filter system... I could throw some (2) which i already have, hang on the back filters with carbon in the mean time but is it worth even messing with??? Don't have filters for them and 2+ hrs away from any fish store... Just move the sump and fuge and get it back up and running as quick as possible??? I have a 240 gallon tank with a twin 55 gallon sump and fuge... I also don't have much in the tank cause i've had this move in mind for awhile now... I have 2 damsels, 1 chromis, 2 sally lightfoot crabs, 1 banded shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp and some snails and crabs, then 1 trumpet coral, and 2 rocks with zoos on it... The rest of my corals are in my buddies tank awaiting the move... Any advise would be great... I would love to have zero casulites!!! Thanks in Advance

rdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 02:49 PM   #2
alleykat81
Registered Member

I think the main issue would be oxygen. Just make sure you have water circulation. My power went out for 8 days (generator died, as well) and all I relied on was battery operated air stones. Might as well put the hob filters on since you already have them.

alleykat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 06:25 PM   #3
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

If you have twin 55 gal sumps can you leave one running while you get the new one going. The HOB filters would give you some circulation, they would be better if you allowed them to get a bacteria colony going for a couple weeks before hand

muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, moving, sump, tanks, water